close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

40 or 357 ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by imjin138, Apr 6, 2010.

1. imjin138

imjin138

I was looking at mid size Glocks today the 23, 19 and 32. I have 2 9mm Glocks the the 17 and 26 so I am not sure I need a 19 so I was thinking of either a 23 or 32.

I have a 24 so I know about the 40 S&W I have not fired a 357 sig yet. My biggest concern is wondering why Milwaukee PD dropped the Glock and took the M&P. I have heard several different stories from magazine problems to no accuracy.

Any input will be appreciated. I was hoping to find a rental at Shooters but they have the 40 but not the 357.

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

My main concern would be ammo. .40 is abundant around here. Even though I reload, I occasionally peek at the ammo supply at Wally World... never see 9mm, but see LOTS of .40. Don't even see much .45ACP, and almost never .357 sig.

I've *been* a 9mm guy, but thinking about getting me a .40 somewhere along the way.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

3. Strahley

Strahley

Not really a fan of either, but I think .40 S&W is a better choice than .357 SIG

4. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Easy to shoot both in one pistol with conversion barrels. The G23 can easily be converted to shoot .357SIG and the G32 can easily be converted to shoot .40S&W

I shoot both and like both. Also, I've not had trouble finding .357SIG ammo. In fact during the recent ammo shortage .357SIG was about all I could find.

5. Brenzy

Brenzy

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

.40. I see no advantage to .357 and disadvantages include wide availability and price.

7. vafish

vafish

As already stated it's easy to shoot both by simply swapping barrels.

But if I had to chose between the .40 S+W and the .357 Sig I'd pick the .40 S+W for the following reasons:

1. .40 S+W ammo is more common, .357 Sig is not difficult to find, but .40 is easier to find. Practice ammo in .40 S+W is generally cheaper although premium self defense ammo is about the same price.

2. .40 S+W is the most common caliber in American Law Enforcement at the moment. As such the .40 S+W gets more R+D then any other caliber. I really think it is difficult to find a poorly performing .40 S+W bullet if you stick with major manufactures JHP's.

3. The .40 S+W is more versatile. If you want .357 sig 125 gr performance buy some Corbon 135 gr .40 S+W and you have almost identical ballistics. But you also have the option of going up to 180 gr bullets if you like the slower and heavier route.

8. FinnFanatic

FinnFanatic Stinkin badgers

Got em both, like em both, carry the .357 sig. It's a big if, but if you could try them both out, pick the one that you shoot the best. Some may argue, but placement is everything.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

Could be they couldn't shoot them accurately like you said, or it could be that S&W out bid Glock. There were some failure to feed problems with .40 Glocks when something was mounted on the rail, but Glock says it's an issue of not having strong enough magazine springs. The newest magazine springs have an extra coil. There were also some .40 magazines that had extra plastic near the feed lips which when sanded away worked perfectly fine. I've heard of a few problems with the .357 Glocks too, but I think it's mostly those little plastic nubs near the feed lips, same as the .40 magazines.

What you could do is buy a G32 and get a G23 barrel and G23 magazines for it. A G32 is quite literally a G23 with a different barrel and different followers in the magazines. All other components are identical.

10. VT RAIDER

VT RAIDER

If I could only have one... it would be a .40... I have owned both and the .357 Sig was a bit more snappier than the .40 IMO... I can find .40, but .357 Sig is more difficult to find in any real abundance... Also, .40 is cheaper... I say get both and have two times the fun...

Good luck...

11. CynicX

CynicX

I wanted something with the maximum amount of stopping power, with the highest capacity, in a compact size.

From researching police shootings with different weapons here and overseas I kept coming back to the .357sig for its compact size and fantastic ballistics.

I ended up buying a Glock 32. And I've been VERY impressed with the round. To me there is a much more noticeable recoil compared to using a .40s&w barrel (which I own, Glock brand). And according to Glocks specs (in the manual) there is much more energy with the .357sig.

My advice to you. Get either, .357sig or .40s&w. All you need is the barrel, even the magazines work just fine used with either caliber. So if you find a good deal on a .357sig go that route or vise versa. Then just get the opposite barrel..

I can definitely see why someone would have accuracy issues with a .357sig in a polymer gun. The round is supposed to simulate a .357 magnum, how well it does that I dont know, but it has the recoil down pretty well.

As far as ammo. Well I'd never buy ammo at local stores because the price is so high. I can find .357sig online MUCH cheaper then I can find .40s&w in stores. Just like you can find .40s&w cheaper online then 9mm in stores. HOWEVER, my local Wal-Mart carries Remington .357sig, so does Bass Pro and Cabelas. I rarely see .40s&w because its always sold out, and never see 9mm or .45acp anymore...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  12. Gs Up

Gs Up

.40S&W but you can't go wrong with either.

13. stroker

stroker

Finding .357 is like trying to find a VIRGIN in Vegas on Friday Night

14. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

My EDC is a Glock 33, .357 SIG. This weapon gells with me, I shoot it better than any other handgun I've owned or tried.
    The power is there, as is the accuracy. A lot of people scoff at the caliber regarding availability, this proves my preference in most cases- big box stores are usually sold out of common ammunition but my rare .357 SIG stuff is on the shelves.
    Because my CC weapon as of yet only fires at the range, I'm quite able to keep a stock of premium Speer ammunition on hand, with a few years worth of practice ammuntion.

15. CynicX

CynicX

I totally agree with this. I've been all over and have no problem finding .357sig. I'm in MD so you'd think it would be difficult for me to find handgun ammo (not a CCW state) but I find .357sig at Pawn and gun shop and Wal-Mart...

I never really buy it because I can find ammo cheaper online (any caliber) with shipping. And we all obviously have the internet so I dont see how anyone could even begin to make the argument the ammo isnt available.

OK, IF you needed to shoot someone RIGHT NOW, then yes it could be an issue. If you can wait 2-3 days then you just saved yourself some money and have a larger selection of brands to choose from...

I'm not knocking .40s&w. But I'd prefer 9mm for my target ammo... hehehe

16. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

17. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I don’t know if you reload but I think I would prefer 40 S&W over the other just for simplicity. Those that shoot the 40 S&W rnd I would think would agree it is one heck of a round.

18. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Help me understand what is more simple about .40S&W.

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Get a G20 and you can buy conversion barrels for both .40 and .357 Sig. Both calibers feed perfectly through the original 10MM mags, so the barrels are all you need. Plus, after you get done toying around with .40 and .375, you'll still be the owner of a real man's gun (10MM).

20. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Look at my sig line! :wavey: