close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 glock lifespan

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by egl1962, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. egl1962

egl1962

i have been reading in various articles that one of the reasons one might chose a 9mm glock over a .40 glock is that a .40 will only last half as long do to the higher pressures that .40's are loaded to. and if you were going to experiance some sort of fatal malfunction, (frame failure) it would more than likely be with a .40. anyone agree?

2. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

Whether it's true or not is completely irrelevant, because the average shooter
    will never put enough rounds through either one to find out.

So what if a 9mm Glock lasts 500,000 rounds and a 40 caliber
    Glock only lasts 250,000 rounds?

If you can afford to fire that many rounds, I don't think the cost
    of a new Glock will be a concern.

Buy any caliber you want and try to wear it out.
    If you do wear it out, simply buy a new one.

Disclaimer: The lifespan numbers in my post were made up just to
    prove a point. They do not accurately reflect the lifespan of any Glock pistol,
    and should only be used in the context of my post.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree: :goodpost:

IF a $500 gun lasted 250k rounds then it would be well worth its price even if I had to spend $500 more for another rafter the 250k

Lets say as an example $250 per 1000 rounds (250,000) = $62,500 on rounds not including tax, targets and range time. If you shoot 10,000 rounds a year thats 25 years.

:50cal:

4. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Deleted

5. BBMW

BBMW

Do you really know that those are the true design lives of those guns, or are you just making this up. Does anyone know what the specified lifespan is of a G17 and G22?

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have read somewhere that the design life of a Glock 17 is 196,322 rounds :whistling:

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

All I can say is my 1996 G19 just passed the 83,000 round mark this past weekend.:wow:

8. Alizard

Alizard

Unless it's going to be a range gun for service training use, you could never approach end of life.

9. 153

I was about to install a smooth G17 trigger in a friend's G19, an older 1 pin - Gen2 pistol, when I noticed a crack that ran from the top of the frame, through the "Inc" on the right side of the pistol then along the side, where it swerved in and ended at the top corner of the magazine latch cutout!

We put had put Talons on it a couple of months back and everything was OK. We discovered the crack after he had been shooting the pistol - without issues.

It has since gone back to Glock. They advised that if the frame crack is NOT covered by their guarentee, the cost to replace the frame would be .... $43!!!!

10. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Holy cow she's got some miles. :faint:

11. scosgt

scosgt

My Academy had S&W Model 10 heavy barrel revolvers that had over 100,000 rounds and kept right on going with a minimum of gunsmithing. Since we only used lead SWC in those days, the bores were perfect.
    I would suspect the biggest wear point on a Glock would be the barrel. Eventually jacketed ammo will probably wear it out.
    The Academy has had Glock 19's for training since 2005. Eventually they will get that kind of mileage too.

12. truetopath

truetopath

I'll let ya know when my G27 dies, you might have to wait a couple decades though...

13. Contact

Contact

No.

Don't fall into the same trap a lot of folks do (myself included) when researching items, which is to research and research until you're blue in the face, while forgetting about the multitude of those same products that are in the hands of happy customers who did not take the time to write an article or review.

The bittersweet thing about researching things on the internet are that you will always find failures to report on and use as fodder for why something isn't any good.

Take my moms lawnmower for instance. We bought her a new mower last year off the rack at the local home depot. It was a Toro (Well known brand) self-propelled mower with a Briggs & Stratton (well known brand) engine. The price was right, so we bought it. We got it home, put oil and gas in it, and it started on the first pull, and has every single time since the day we bought it, purring like a kitten the whole time. We've never had a problem with the engine, or the personal-pace self propelled system either.

Well, here it is a year later, and I've been reading up on other mowers since I am getting ready to close on a house, and little did I know that we bought my mom a piece of junk because the reviews on the internet said so, and that even though Toro and B&S have put out hundreds of thousands of pieces of lawn equipment over the years, 12 people on the internet said that my mower was only worth 3 stars.

14. DocWills

DocWills

The glock has a flexible frame that greatly reduces wear. I would expect in the 250000 round range regardless of caliber.

15. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I could see wearing out a barrel, springs, and extractor, but that's all replaceable.

Then again, Glock does frame exchanges too and refinish jobs. So, the pistol could wear, but never wear out.

16. rilkil23

rilkil23

I've got about 400 through my G35 and she is still going strong.

17. Pier23

Pier23

I just saw somewhere around here...not sure if in this forum, but prob. was, that there is a 17 in the Glock museum with a reported 325,000 and change rounds on it. No idea what had been replaced.

Google searches have figures all over the known universe. I think bottom line is no one knows.

18. gumbee

gumbee

Higher pressures? Our dept. armorer says the standard 9mm pressure and .40 pressure are the same--35,000 psi.

19. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

With GLOCKs it is fairly easy to replace many of the internals. Every once in a while, go ahead and replace the recoil spring assembly, and the trigger spring, for example. This is very easy to do. As for other things "wearing out" I suppose the barrel might wear out eventually, but you will probably see a drop off in accuracy and you could always replace the barrel. I personally wouldn't worry about a GLOCK wearing out in any caliber.

20. Ati058

Ati058

Ah, an aged old question…

"how many licks does it take to reach the center of a tootsie pop?"

"let's try it and see…"

:cool: