close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 glock 27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by xeye, Jan 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. xeye

xeye

It had been a while since I picked up the 27 and went ot the range. Maybe my memory is gone but I got some reloads at Dick's Sporting Goods and ouch, man was that snappy. My son refused to shoot the Glock. So I burned 50 rounds and my hand is *hammered*.

Question:
    I don't recall Winchester white box being so snappy. Is it always this bad? Or did I spoil myself with my .22 and full size 1911?

Question #2:
    Can I just put in an aftermarket 9mm barrel and shoot 9 mm using the .40 mags? I thought I read that somewhere if so, I may just go to 9mm as the recoil made it very difficult to bring the gun back on target for followup shots. also, 9mm is incredibly cheap relatively speaking.

2. IPDBrad

IPDBrad

I always notice how much snappier my 27/22 are after shooting my 1911, and obviously my .22. My 1911 is so smooth, sometimes I wish it was my carry gun, but I don't think I could retire my Glock.

Alas, that is the trade off for the Glock.

Anyone else find the G21/30 more forgiving?

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

You'll need a 9mm conversion barrel and Glock 26 magazine(s) (G19 & G17 mags will also work). Some people recommend changing the extractor and ejector, but I haven't found it necessary.

4. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

5. cmzneb

cmzneb

Catbird is correct. I have done this in a couple of my guns, and no need to change the ejector or extractor.

Good Luck!

6. JohnWayneFan

JohnWayneFan

Not sure what all this talk is about G26 mags and a conversion barrel. I shot a 9mm round out of my G27 without changing anything.

Of course, it was by accident, I felt like a complete idiot, it failed to cycle the action, and I feel damn lucky that neither I nor the weapon were damaged in any way.

;J

7. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Correct info. already on the 9mm conversion. Ever consider getting into reloading? I went throught the same quandries you did and decided to go the reloading route so I can make rounds that vary in perceived recoil without having to worry about the possible side effects/ reliablility issues that a conversion COULD create. It's not for everybody but just a thought.--JJ

8. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

I used to find my 30 more forgiving with recoil. That is until I replaced the springs in my 27. Kicks like a baby now.

9. double_trouble

double_trouble

I've owned a G27 for 5 years and yes, it's a handfull. (I love the use of the word 'Snappy')

When at the range, some of my shooting buddies just don't want anything to do with it.

Personally, I'm using Winchester Silvertips for defensive training and 'cheap' UMC for plinking and both seem to have reasonable levels of recoil.

For me, I've found that it's much more enjoyable to shoot if I don't try to fight the recoil.

There doesn't seem to be a huge following for the little G27, personally, I wouldn't leave home without it. (small size + good firepower)

10. bcphoenix

bcphoenix

Hey Harlequin,

What kind of springs did you use to tame your G27? I've got a little tiger of my own that needs taming.

bcphoenix

11. boogan1

boogan1

I would like to know about the G27 springs also, I have one on the way and am open to any suggestion to tame it. Boog

12. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

I took MarkCo's advice (as well as others) and replaced the stock springs with Wolff 20# non-captured rod and springs. I've never tried, but according to his site there were no failures even with 135 grain loads. I shoot 165 and 180 in practice and so far it's been 100% reliable, and the perceived recoil reduction was amazing.

I should add that I have fingertip extensions as well. I don't know if this helps or if I just feel more comfortable with all fingers gripping the gun. I have +1 extensions from Pearce on the way and if those work I'll seriously consider switching from my 30.

If you are interested in more info, look into MarkCo's site. The URL is in his sig line.

13. Bravo2

Bravo2

2 things happen. A: Felt recoil can feel different from range session to range session, not always consistant. B:This i have noticed in using umc for years and using the 100rd packs of winchester which is all i shoot anymore since in most my guns its most accurate target ammo,and i tried a lot of different ammo with every gun i have and had. I have noticed since the 100rd packs that i can shoot same gun in 1 sesion at the range and go through a 100 box with 1 tray to next feeling different. I can go through 200rds and tell variances in the felt recoil and accuracy changes a little too. I think since they mass produce it more now that they are not as consistant as before they started the 100rd packs. But hey for the money i can't complain. Its not in 1 gun its same cause usually i take from 2 to 4 pistols at a time and shoot.Umc use to be not so bad on felt recoil but man seems like lately everytime i get a box of it they are hot. I like winchester best so i stay with it.

14. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Xeye,

The 40 cal round is "snappy" because it is a much larger and more powerful (read more stopping power) round than a 9 mm.

Your hand will receover and if you shoot your 27 more often you may actually get used to it.

Not trying to be too much of a SmartA, but if you are looking for a low impact target gun, might I suggest a .22LR.

I carry my 27 daily because I have much more confidence in one well placed very effective 40 cal round compared to one well placed 9 mm round.

15. hanguknamja

hanguknamja

the .40 line in glock was thrown together in a hurry for gaston to get into the le market some more. the 22 and 27 both shoot softer than the 23 the 22 bc of the full length spring, the 27 due to the dual spring, the 23 is the snappiest due to its midlength single spring. but for me, the 23 is the best shooter and is my daily carry gun. forty was never designed to be a target pistol, it is loaded for combat accuracy, and anything else is frosting.... for sheer sunday afternoon target .22lr/.17hmr are much better choices, although the hmr retail price per box closely resembles 9mm. as for your ? it is probably a matter of too much time in between shooting