.40 firing pin in 9mm

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Groberds24, Sep 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Groberds24

Groberds24

Can you, or is it safe to use a .40 firing pin in a 9mm?

2. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

I thought they were the same

3. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

I have both FP in my spare parts box. I compared the two to find a difference with an high quality caliper, and a very accurate Ohouse scale. I could not find a difference in the dimensions or the weight. I once fired my G23 gen4 with an 9mm FP for the giggles and everything worked fine. I have not tried the .40 FP in the G19 though.

However, according to some, the .40 S&W FP is .015 in. (0.381mm) longer than the 9mm firing pin.

http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=FAQs

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  4. Groberds24

Groberds24

Great info. Thanks

5. F-111 John

F-111 John

The primers are the same, so the firing pins are the same.

6. Mike-M

Mike-M

Fact #1: The firing pin for 9mmPara and .380Auto pistols (except G42 and G43) is Glock part 49, distinguished by one dash 0.5-in. from tip.
    Fact #2: The firing pin for .40SW, .357SIG, and .45GAP pistols is Glock part SP 04270, distinguished by two dashes 0.5-in. from tip.

Of note is the dash notation used to distinguish between Glock FPs. Older Glock FPs (perhaps 15 years??) do not have those markings.

Glock indicates that there ARE differences between 9mm and .40 FPs. Reputable sources state that the .40 FP is, as already stated, 0.38mm longer than the 9mm version. The difference is not readily apparent visually, but I doubt that Glock would so CLEARLY distinguish between these parts if there was NO difference between them.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  7. nraman

nraman

I have seen the same aftermarket firing pins sold for both calibers.
    I have tried to find a difference by measuring several times and I don't see the .015".
    The fact that Glock has two different pins doesn't necessarily mean that they are indeed different.
    We are making assumptions without knowing Glock's reason for having two different parts.

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

When it comes to the 9/.40 FP's, Glock used to mark one caliber but not the other for the older FP's. Now both are marked with visible dashes.

If there's a very minor difference in the length of the heda and/or thin tip itself (I forget which was originally said), and Glock continues to differentiate between them and tell me to keep different FP's in the 9 and .40/.357/Gap guns, I'm not going to argue with them or second guess them.

Easier to simply use the factory parts as they provide them. (Especially if I'm ever called upon, as an armorer, to explain and justify a repair in the course of some investigation and/or court proceeding.)

9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

9mm pins are part number SP00049 and 40S&W/.357SIG pins are part number 4270. They are both the same price, as compared to the large frame Glocks (G20/G21), which will not work in small frame guns. When I get around to cleaning the top end on my G31, I will measure and weight it and compare it to a G17.

10. Mike-M

Mike-M

Do you recognize the nonsense of that statement? :)

I believe what you mean is "I think that the same part has two different CURRENT part numbers and is physically marked in two DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT ways." Yes?

There needs to be some evidence for that unlikely and unique situation...not just a gratuitous assertion of the improbable.

I'm going to always use the proper part in my Glocks...proper as determined by Glock's official Certified Armorer's Parts List and Will Fit Information...especially for a part as critical as the firing pin. I:m not going to follow advice to the contrary unless it comes from a source that is as technically authoritative as Glock. However, I've never come across such an alternate source in the 19 years since I bought my first Glock. :)

mrasgt likes this.
  11. Groberds24

Groberds24

Sooo, can I use a .40 fining pin in a 9mm or not?

12. GRR

GRR

I have an older 40 firing pin which has the model number stamped on the back end. Can't normally see it with the spacer sleeve installed. No hash marks on the other end.

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

OP, try it and see if it goes bang, but probably not use it in a carry gun......

14. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

The metal at the breech face is a bit thicker on 40 and 357, thus the reason why those pins are longer.

Will it work in a 9mm? Yes, but there might be that chance where the little bit extra length may pierce primers depending on brand of primer used in the ammo

Sent from my stupid smartphone using Tapatalk

15. Groberds24

Groberds24

Ok, heck. I'll try out both the firing pins, and examine the primers after fire

16. Groberds24

Groberds24

Wouldn't slight over penetration be better? Or no?

17. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

Hahaha!

18. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

FWIW

Years ago I got a gen 3 g23 and a 9mm LW conversion barrel for making major, I got
    some pierced primers with the hotter loads.

After I shortened the FP tip, no more pierced primers.

19. nraman

nraman

You got me, I have to stop using my cell phone on GT.