.40 Cal S&W For Gun Games ?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ChrisD46, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

What classifications and Glock model would .40 cal S&W be good for in IDPA or USPSA where by it would have somewhat of an advantage over 9mm ?

2. Rick James45

Rick James45

G22 was once the plastic GOAT in Limited USPSA. Limited is dominated by the 40 S&W. 9mm has no hope in limited due to minor scoring.

In my world, plastic is dying fast in Limited. Even the 2011s types are opting for heavier guns. Not necessary all steel, but heavy.

I do have a G22 and G35 configured for limited play. They do not see much action now.

3. Climbhard

Climbhard

In USPSA only limited or SS (assuming you’re 40 cal is a 1911) where you could score for MPF versus minor. I guess you could shoot it in open tk but that would me a disadvantage to the 99.99% shooting 9 MPF.

4. BoostedGT36

BoostedGT36

Glock 35 would be the .40 to get for competition shooting. I use a 22 and 23 for steel challenge. Only advantage is that the .40 always knocks the plates down.

5. Rick James45

Rick James45

Hum, assuming that would be an outlaw knockdown steel match? I know of no official SC course where a knock down plate is involved.

To OP. in USPSA, PF(power factor) is a huge scoring issue. 9mm is scored minor with a min of 125 PF. 40 is scored major with min 165 PF. Hence, why the 9mm in limited is a fools errand.

If you are looking to play the game and have a Glock in .40 , just go play the game. Once you are good enough to absolutely determine the Glock is holding you back, then shop for something else. We still have GM/Ms rocking G22s at matches. Not a lot, but they are there kicking the $3000 gun in the dirt.

tracicali likes this.
  6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Steel Challenge has static plates, there is nothing to knock down, only dink it. There are even .22LR Rimfire divisions. Any steel match that has falling plates is not the Steel Challenge. And plates are not subject to calibration, only poppers in a real USPSA match. They must fall against a 115 PF.

Classification is a shooter skill percentage, Division is gun based. So for example you could be C Class in Production Division.

40S&W in USPSA. You can run Open, Limited, L10, Carry Optics or Production. If you hand load a 40 to Minor, it will be softer than any 9mm. Open is scored Major but guys running Major 9 will have more mag capacity. Limited and L10 will be no disadvantage, CO guys running 9 will have more capacity, but not in Production at 10 rounds(if loaded to 40 Minor). For a Glock, either a G22 or G35. But a Glock is NOT the best choice for any of those Divisions. Open and Limited and L10, STI. Carry Optics SIG X5 (meets max weight of 45 oz) and CZ for Production.

What gun are you running for USPSA/IDPA now? Usually switching guns is a bad trade off for shooting lessons.

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Chris, I have to ask. It seems like you been asking questions about IDPA for over 4 years. Are you actually shooting IDPA? of just waiting for a magic gun?

Longbow likes this.
  8. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

9. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Interesting observation ... So the .40 cal makes major and heavier double stack .40 cal pistols aid perhaps in better accuracy with faster shooting ?

10. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Thanks for sharing your experience - I meant division (not classification) . I am just researching currently ... *What about .45 ACP instead of .40S&W in the above divisions you listed - are there advantages to .45 ACP versus .40S&W ?

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Chris, you can shoot 9, 40 or 45. Best thing you can do is jump into IDPA and start shooting!

12. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

A heavier gun (think 50oz+) just recoils less.

13. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

Perhaps better to state : Is there a caliber (other than 9mm) that dominates a particular IDPA or USPSA division ?

14. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

15. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

.45 is fine in single stack Major, and Limited 10. In limited, .45 will suffer a too much of a capacity disadvantage. .45 will be more expensive to shoot, even if you reload. Both typically make well over major in standard factory loadings, so reloading or buying purpose built ammo will be an advantage.

16. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

40S&W has always made Major floor, regardless of gun platform. As pointed out earlier the Glock 22 was the bomb for low cost Limited Division back in the day. Since there is no weight restriction for USPSA Limited, a heavier gun is more accurate. Glocks are inherently light. Shooting speed, that will be shooter based, your gun will have more speed than the rate you can pull the trigger. What are your splits right now?

But I see no connection between IDPA Divisions and USPSA Limited. Only IDPA CDP requires a Major floor, all other Divisions being Minor, and all (semiAuto) Divisions restricted to 10 rounds. Two completely different games. A better comparison would be running a G34 in USPSA Production and IDPA SSP.

18. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Chris, are you going to shoot USPSA now?

19. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*I am considering it - my club now has one match a month in USPSA .

20. papercidal

papercidal

Just show up and shoot a match with whatever gun you have a 17/22 is a perfectly fine pistol to start out with. Get a holster and a few mag pouches and just go shoot a match it will cost you around 20$ for entry and a half days time.

People procrastinate trying a match hoping to find the perfect gun for a division and have everything in line before trying the first time.
    You will not be competitive at your first match no matter what you shoot or even how good a shooter you are but those first couple matches will do a lot to teach you what you need to work on and what you like or dislike when it comes to gear,