40 cal Glocks? Tell me the truth!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Eagle1, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

With all of this talk about Kabooms and such, I am considering buying another 40 cal, and I like the G23. Please tell me the truth about this Kaboom stuff, and has anybody experienced any Kabooms or problems with their Glock 23?
    I am a police officer, and want to carry this as a backup/off duty weapon. I just dont like all this talk about the problems with the Glocks. Thanks.....;)

2. Bannack

Bannack

Eagle1 I have owned a carried a G-22 for many years since mine came out in 96... looked at it the other day and it needs the slide redone on the finish it has seen so much.

As for any KB's, I have never ever seen one or had one. I have been totally happy with my G-22.

I have been thinking about either getting a G-23 or G-27 though. And based on what I feel is the safest handgun available today, would not hesitate. :)

3. Jon509

Jon509

I haven't had my 23 but about 8 months, but I love it. I haven't heard about anyone I am in contact with having a kaboom with one and I haven't had one either. I carry my 23 for police and ccw.

Jon

4. Shady

Shady Under the tree

Buy one, shoot it, love it. As long as you're using jacketed factory ammo you'll never have to even think about it.

Quick description of the issues:
    The problems that do pop up from time to time (and it appears there's way more stories than occurences) are related to double charged handloads or using soft lead bullets.

The double charges create an obvious problem, (too much boom) which is exacerbated by the design of .40 as a high pressure round to begin with. The partially unsupported case doesn't deal well with the increased pressure.

Shooting soft lead bullets can leave deposits behind, that if not scrupulously cleaned can result in increased pressure and the afore mentioned problem.

IF you'll do a search on this site you'll find 14 bescrillion discussions on the topic if you want more opinions and details.

I shoot my 23 and 27 with little concern, and I reload for them as well. I just pay attention when I do it, and use a powder that pretty much ensures that if I double charge the round I'll have excess powder all over the place, making it very obvious that I've screwed up.

5. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Since you're a cop, you're probably going to shoot factory ammo. So buy one and enjoy!!! I would recommend the G27 for off duty carry. It's bit nicer for carry.

Koski

6. John R

John R

A lot of the guys I shoot with at the gun club have them and I have never seen A KB, (and we put A lot of lead down range)
    I've heard A lot of stories and that's all they are IMHO. Any gun can be blown up if you put enough powder in the ammo. Seems to me that all the KB I've heard of seem to have one thing in common, and that's the 180 gr bullet.
    Shoot it and enjoy it, if you reload, than either get A different barrel or load lighter and never use lead bullets.
    Also the guys at the club and myself reload for the 40 S&W and use Rainier bullets with no problem. There are three guys I shoot with that use lead bullets in 40 Glocks with A Barsto barrel, with no trouble.

Hope This Puts your Mind At Ease

7. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

Just don't shoot lead, and be careful if you reload. You should be fine.

Note: Not saying there are not other things that will cause a KB, but it is my unstanding that this is what causes most of them.

Eagle

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

During the 1997 FBI testing, six 40 Caliber Glocks were each fired 20,000 times in 4 days using full power service ammo (3 G22's and 3 G23's). That's 5,000 rounds per day per pistol for 4 days. There were no KB's. Glock earned the FBI contract.

9. yoky

yoky

Hi Eagle1
    I have been using my G22 since the year 1999 and everything is OK. I have saw only 1 KB but only on the picture. It was caused by stupidity of its owner. This gun has never been cleaned a man was using personal reloading with lead bullets through factory barrel. The factory barrel doesn’t like lead bullets. I was surprised how long this gun operated without any care from that time when it was out of box. No cleaning no oil. My gun operated without any problems. My opinion is that majority of KB and any others problems are caused by their owner.

10. yoky

yoky

[ Seems to me that all the KB I've heard of seem to have one thing in common, and that's the 180 gr bullet.

Hi John

Sorry for this but I slightly have to disagree with your opinion. I don’t think that problem is caused by 180 gr. Bullets. I have tested different type o ammo including Fiocchi, Federal etc. I have reached better results with SaB .40 SW 180grs. Good performance, suitable recoil under control and no problems with gun. I have inspected barrel chamber etc and everything is OK. Basdic problem I can see is in reloading. Not only with higher amount of powder bat also type of powder. Lower amount of power can caused some problem too. Different type of powder it’s quality and characteristic burning it also can cause big troubles too. But with factory ammo and good care this gun will never fail. Yes it is possible that gun can failed thanks to mistake from factory or some problem in material but it seems to be problem of any factory.
    Best regards
    yoky

11. FLM

FLM

I've had my mod 23 for many years and put many rounds through it including handloads(no lead). No problems at all. Never even had a jam. It's a great gun.:)

12. Vitamin_p19

Vitamin_p19

With a car if you dont change the oil, the engine will go bad. If you shoot lead and dont clean the leading out of the barrel, the gun will go boom. Buy it, clean it, and it will be good to you.
    pete

13. whizz

whizz

I agree with "yoky". No problem with 180gr bullets and glock. I have fired at least 10K reloaded rounds through my G35 all at IPSC PF 170-180. Bullet weights from 180 to 200 gr. Very pleasant to shoot and very good accuracy. If you are using reloads make them yourself and be very precise in all of the steps during reloading. Then you and your gun should be fine. BTW I have never used any bullets below 170 gr in my G35.

14. yoky

yoky

To whizz
    If you fired more then 10k reloaded rounds from your gun it seems that you are very friendly and precize with reloading. Time ago I was offered to buy some reloaded ammo. I bought 1 box only and went to the range. After several rounds I had a sense I was looking like shooting artillery. Big load a lot of smoke but in target was nothing. Since that time I have been using factory ammo only. May be in the future I try to reload. There is my question what kind of reloading equipment are you using for? Thank you.

Best regards
    yoky

15. B Coyote

B Coyote

The only thing I can contribute to what has already been said:

Bullet Setback. You know, when you've chambered a round a couple times and the OverAll Length is shortened. This is another cause of overly-high pressure. One more possible factor in the Kb story.

My advice, buy the gun and shoot it until it falls apart. (Good luck;))

bc

16. thin blue line

thin blue line

I concur with what everyone above said about bullet weight, lead, reloads and setback. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations and I am confident that my 27 is the best BUG and off duty concealed weapon available. It has always gone bang and has never gone KB.

TBL

17. glocksmith02

glocksmith02

I am a deputy. I carry a 35. I own a 24(with both bbls) and a 22c. I have shot thousands of rounds, both factory stuff and my jacketed bullet reloads and have had no problems whatsoever. Now as far as off-duty is concerned, I am allowed to carry up to a .45. So I carry a m30. Not much bigger than a 23, maybe a little wider, but I really like it. If you like the 23 don't let the kaboom stuff worry you. For what it is worth my duty ammo is Fed Tactical. Now to further confuse you I have a friend with a 23c and that is a great gun!

18. JoeG19

JoeG19 1965

What B Coyote said...and if it ever does. - 'ole joe :cool:

19. Cooper

Cooper

not that i disbelieve you, but where do you find this information. i'm very interested in reading about the FBI testing, but haven't been able to find anything on it.

thanks.

20. Cooper

Cooper

not that i disbelieve you, but where do you find this information? i'm very interested in reading about the FBI testing, but haven't been able to find anything on it.

thanks.