Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,852 Posts
You've just committed handgun heresy. Everyone know the 9mm is the cartridge Du Jour, or at least that's what all the cool kids saying...

Reactions: 3007

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Excellent Pistol: excellent round.

Reactions: Templarbro

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm in the market for a beretta 92 yet see a NIB 96 for a decent price. I want to talk myself out of it for a couple reasons although I enjoy the 40 round the same as 9mm.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
You've just committed handgun heresy. Everyone know the 9mm is the cartridge Du Jour, or at least that's what all
Yep and I assure you at seven yards and in, you won’t remember recoil if God forbid you have to use it.

Reactions: vikingsoftpaw

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Pete, the 96 generally sells for a good deal less than a comparable 92 on the used market.
The trade off is the .40 is not ammo dependent. Any round is a butt kicker. If you could only get FMJ, you still have a Delta Force proven caliber. Resale is not a factor for some of us.

·
Registered
126,023 Posts
The trade off is the .40 is not ammo dependent. Any round is a butt kicker. If you could only get FMJ, you still have a Delta Force proven caliber. Resale is not a factor for come of us.
Huh? :dunno:

I have several 40’s. It’s certainly a good round, but it’s ammo dependent just like the other service rounds. It’s not a death ray like some of you guys may think. Hell, even 10mm is ammo sensitive.

If you think FMJ 40 is going to be much more of a “butt kicker” than FMJ 9mm or 45ACP, you’re kidding yourself.

Unfortunately most of the firearms chambered for it are pretty boring for my tastes. Though I’ll readily admit that my tastes are a bit extraordinary. The only trade off is that I can get the same gun in 40 much cheaper, even high end models.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
Agree with all but the 9mm fmj comment. I certainly want to avoid having to use FMJ as a self defense round if at all possible. That said, I’d feel much better with .45ACP or .40 if there were no other choice but FMJ.

Reactions: SargeMO

·
Registered
126,023 Posts
Agree with all but the 9mm fmj comment. I certainly want to avoid having to use FMJ as a self defense round if at all possible. That said, I’d feel much better with .45ACP or .40 if there were no other choice but FMJ.
Sure I would agree with that, but I just can’t imagine being in that situation. I wouldn’t use FMJ in any caliber.

I had a Keltec P380 that I didn’t trust to feed most JHP, so I used to carry FMJ in that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When
I'm in the market for a beretta 92 yet see a NIB 96 for a decent price. I want to talk myself out of it for a couple reasons although I enjoy the 40 round the same as 9mm.
I bought my 96A1 back in 2012 I paid like 650$

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
When

I bought my 96A1 back in 2012 I paid like 650$
This one is going for close to $400 unused. I only have $ for one purchase at the moment and wanted a 92 prior to buying anything exotic but I could see just grabbing the 96 if I talk myself into it. I was after a 92 inox yet this eludes me at this time. Also heard the 96 with straight dust cover is prone to cracking after a while.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts