.40 Aftermarket Barrels for Glock 23?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by J.Bourne, Jul 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. J.Bourne

J.Bourne Damaged Goods

Although I've yet to see credible evidence of a greater likelihood of kb's in Glock .40 S&W's, if one were to assume a) they are more prevalent, statistically, in Glocks, and b) that the the unsupported chamber theory has a causal relationship to such higher prevalence (both of which I am not willing to concede), then what is the best aftermarket barrel having a fully supported chamber for a Glock 23? Thanks people.

2. ws6transam

ws6transam

It is my understnding that it's the design of the pistol that leads to a partially supported case head, not so much the barrel type. Therefore, I expect that you will find that all Glock barrels, OEM or otherwise, will have a partially supported case head.

For a fully supported case head, you have to switch to a different semi-auto design.

3. Dave T

Dave T

No semiauto design has a "fully supported chamber". You couldn't get the rounds to feed from the magazine. Someone once posted a picture of chambered rounds in four major name handgun barrels (SIG, HK, Glock, Beretta if I remember correctly). Glock was not the worst.

What is a problem with the Glock factory chamber is it is oversized in the 40 S&W - leading to the remarkable functional reliability. After market barrels all have tighter chambers, which saves wear on brass (important to reloaders) and probably offer a margin of safety over a loose factory chamber. There are some claims that Glock has tightened up their chamber dimentions on the 40 but I can't confirm this or say when it occured.

As to aftermarket barrels, there is nothing wrong with KMM, Jarvis, or Wilson but most everyone will conceed that BarSto is probably the best (and one of the more expensive). If you order their "semi drop-in barrel" they will fit it to your individual gun for free. I had them fit my G30 and G36 barrel and they function as reliably as the factory barrels did.

YMMV!

4. Grampa

Grampa

I reload, and although I don't use cast lead, I do use plated bullets. I only fired factory ammo through the factory barrel (and still do), but I finally broke down and bought one of the EFK barrels from TopGlock for my 23 as my practice and plinking barrel. It was drop in, although I did polish the feed ramp. The chamber is noticeably tighter than that of the stock barrel, and the casing is better supported. Yeah, I probably didn't NEED the new barrel, but I'm glad I did for whatever sense of safety it provides. It has functioned flawlessly.

That and the stainless barrel really looks cool installed! ;)

5. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

I must respectfully disagree with DaveT regarding BarSto barrels. I have two BarSto barrels, one in a G-20 and the other in a G-22.

They were semi-drop in, and both required EXTENSIVE (and expensive) fitting by a master gunsmith. BarSto would not fit them for no charge.

They are excellent barrels and I am completely satisfied with them in every respect, however I am not convinced that they are any better than Jarvis, KKM, Wilson, Briley etc. They are, however, more expensive.

If I ever buy another BarSto barrel, and I very well may do that, I will send the gun to the factory to have the barrel custom fitted.

I haven't had a single bulged case in .40 or 10MM since getting the BarSto barrels.

I have a Federal barrel in my G-21, and I am also completely satisfied with it.

6. Dave T

Dave T

cheygriz said,

Not arguing with you but can you tell us why BarSto wouldn't do the fitting?

When I got my G30 barrel from them (a so called Semi Drop-In) I couldn't assemble the gun. When I called them they offered to do the fitting and all I had to pay was shipping to Twenty Nine Palms. They paid the return shipping.

When I ordered the G36 barrel I decided to just send the whole gun to them, which they agreed to. After fitting the barrel they shipped it back and it has worked ever since.

Sorry about your bad experience. Mine dealings with them were 180 degrees from yours.

7. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

My KKM barrel dropped in with no fitting and has been 100% reliable and accurate. I would buy another without hesitation.

8. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

DaveT,

No, I don't know why. I've had the two BarSto barrels for about 3 years now. Perhaps they've changed their policy since I bought mine.

Like you did with your second barrel, I think sending the whole gun to the factory for fitting is an excellent idea.

9. John Dorsey

John Dorsey John Dorsey

They have a small fitting charge for their semi-drop-in fit barrels. I believe it is 15.00. It is on their web site.

10. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Does Barsto pay the shipping both ways? If not that could get expensive, that's why I went with the KKM and an not sorry I did. Now fired cased drop into a case gague with out resizing and the barrel is 100% reliable.

11. Guest

I've bought two drop in barrels from Bar-Sto that didn't drop in. They fitted them both free. One was on a G35 and the other on a G22. I paid shipping both ways. The G35 work was about six months ago.