close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.40 - 9 Conversion for G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GeorgeBurdell, Feb 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GeorgeBurdell

GeorgeBurdell

Does anyone have experience with the Lone Wolf .40 - 9 conversion barrels for the G23?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS140-1.html

Is a conversion barrel and 9mm mag reall all that's needed? That seems too good to be true.

2. Hackett

Hackett

That's it, and in a pinch you can still use a .40 mag with the tabs mildly pinched.

And for the .357 conversion barrel just swap the mag follower and you can still use the G23 mags!

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Sometimes they're a bit tight for reloads. Mine will eat any kind of factory ammo I feed it, but it gets finicky when it comes to reloads.

4. Anglowulf

Anglowulf

I don't think this is a standard glock barrel, it looks different.
    Mine eats any factory ammo I feed it.
    Hasn't had a single misfeed or failure to eject.
    I am on @ 350 rounds, varied rates of fire.

5. MarcellusT

MarcellusT

I went with Storm Lake and haven't had any problems (.357 SIG to 9mm). Seems most here go with Lone Wolff, though.

6. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

Plus One on the LWD 40/9 conversion barrel. Mine has been 100% with only the barrel and 9mm magazines.

7. den888

den888

8. LT1coupe

LT1coupe

You have to shoot a lot of ammo to pay for the conversion barrel & the extractor will work, but it's not quite right. That said, my functioned fine, I elected to sell it & practice with the .40 I carry.

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

:upeyes: I don't understand what you mean by alot? Commercial 9mm (115g)FMJ is about $5-6 a box (50 rounds) less than it's .40 S&W (180g) FMJ counterpart, same manufacturer. The barrel is $110 average which means it's paid for in about 22 boxes or 1100 rounds. After that it's PURE savings.

I shoot 800-1200 rounds a month, and would have paid for that easily in 2 months between the two calibers. Even though I reload, I still use my 40-9mm G23 barrel for practice, as the difference between .40 and 9mm components is still about $30 a thousand for FMJ bullets.

You practice with the .40 you carry? Like SD rounds? How much do you practice?

10. FobulousGlock

FobulousGlock

dang! where do you get 9mm boxes for 5-6 bucks? the cheapest around here are atleast 10 dollars a box.

11. LT1coupe

LT1coupe

Like I said, you have to shoot quite a bit, 800 plus rounds a month qualifies. I'm not knocking your choice, my point was that many of us don't shoot enough to justify the barrel and mags & that the extractor is not designed for 9mm. For some people I worry about getting their mags & barrels mixed up as well. Chambering a 9mm round in a 40 could be a bad thing.

I don't shoot near the quantity that you do, I shoot the SD loads that are in my mags & if I decide to shoot more, I have FMJ that hits at the same point of aim & simular recoil. I'm in AZ & travel most everyday, the desert is my range. I stop when the mood strikes me & kill a few paper plates or cans. I'm AARP eligible, so I'm mostly having fun & confirming the gun & ammo are happy. It's also good therapy after dealing with some of the people I meet....

12. BobKat

BobKat

I believe he meant a box of 9mm rounds are 5-6 bucks a box cheaper than a box of .40 rounds.

I'm getting the .40 - 9 conversion as well since I plan to shoot 1k to 1.2k rounds a month, if spring ever gets here...

13. mikepd

mikepd

I have the Lone Wolf conversion barrel on order and paid an extra $10 so they would not put their logo on the barrel. I also ordered 2 9mm 15rd magazines which I have already received. The barrel is on backorder and should arrive within 3 weeks from the time of order. So this gives me the equivalent of having two choices of calibers to shoot for not a lot of money.

14. casher824

casher824

Does anybody have any experience with switching out the .40 barrel on the 27 with a Lone Wolf 9mm? Be nice to switch back and forth.

15. Hackett

Hackett

the 23 and the 27 are only different in grip length and barrel/slideDust-cover length. the internals are almost entirely interchangeable. You could get a G23 .40-9 conversion and use it in your 27.

16. b/smith

b/smith

I had one for a while love it works great

17. den888

den888

In my case, the motivation to convert was not so much the cost savings from shooting 9mm in my G23 (although that was a factor), but it was to really get more versatility out of my G23 and by not having to spend the money to buy a G19, because the G23 conversion shoots just like a G19.

18. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

If you have not made your purchase yet consider a threaded barrell. You may want to add a suppressor down the road.

19. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Fair enough...though I'm sure you see my point regardless of how much you shoot, eventually it pays for itself.
    To others let me add two more cents...
    These LWD are great tools... but they are just that tools for range practice. Don't even think of using one for SD purposes. I had mine for my G27 for years till recently giving it to my brother in law on extended loan as I currently no longer have a G27. That Barrel have well over 15K close to 20K through it. Honestly can't remember the last time one failed on me... but it has every once in a great while, usually in a local IDPA when I was under the timer.
    I know others will chime in now stating they do carry with one and bet thier unborn child on the reliability. However, unless you actually have proven that in a SHTF experience... no need.
    The point is: if you want to carry 9mm get a Glock 19. As much as I advocate my positive experiences with these barrels, would hate to hear of someone that didn't head this advice and got into a bad situation to prove me right.

God Bless.

20. Sammael

Sammael Ich tu dir Weh.

Just finished a two day handgunning course with my G23 converted to 9mm with a Lone Wolf Barrel.

Had ONE malfunction, during a weak hand drill. I can safely attribute this to operator error - limpwristed it. Other than my own error, the firearm performed exactly as expected. Reliable and accurate. In fact, I hit 5 out of 6 headshots at 50ft with it easily, if you are wondering about the accuracy factor (pulled the last one low, lol).

Seemed to be as accurate as with the stock .40 barrel. YMMV, but I don't think by much.