Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DJ, you're back
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my G17 brand new from a local store and took it out for a little testing yesterday morning. I was using 115 gr. Winchester white box and range reloads. My father had zero issues with his Beretta using the same ammo. My G17 would have a lot of failure to ejects, failure to feeds, and the slide wouldn't lock back after the last round. I tried two magazines and had issues with both and I cleaned/lubed my gun properly with Breakfree CLP.

Any ideas?

·
20,441 Posts
Let's see here. Winchester USA 115's ae on the low powered side. Range reloads are even lower. Grand new G17=brand new recoil spring assembly. Fire 100 rounds of American Eagle 124's or 147's and report back to us.

By the way, there is a learning curve associated with firing Glocks due to the lightweight polymer frame.

·
NRA Benefactor
1,496 Posts
Let's see here. Winchester USA 115's ae on the low powered side. Range reloads are even lower. Grand new G17=brand new recoil spring assembly. Fire 100 rounds of American Eagle 124's or 147's and report back to us.

By the way, there is a learning curve associated with firing Glocks due to the lightweight polymer frame.

hmmmmm so I guess it is not just a Gen 4 issue???:whistling:

Danny, maybe you should get a sticky posted up with the loads that GLOCK recommends.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The packaging for my Glock 17 Gen4 (new last week) specifically says not to use reloads. I haven't had any problems using new ammo (Remington 115 gr. UMC and Federal AE 147 gr).

·
Registered
863 Posts
Are you sure the store didn't sell you a Gen4 by mistake? (Just kidding. I have a Gen4 and it's a great gun.) I agree with the above suggestion that you should try some different ammo. A couple of months ago, I got some S&B Range Safe ammo and it just wouldn't run in my 2nd Gen G17 or my G26. I don't know what the spec weight is on the recoil spring on the Beretta, but if it's a bit less than on the Glock, I can see how you could have malfunctions in the Glock and not the Beretta. Good luck.

·
DJ, you're back
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How much experience do you have shooting Glocks?
Barely any at all. I've rented one years ago with my father before I purchased my own G17.

On a positive note - I did decent with my new G17 at the range yesterday when it DID shoot properly. I have noticed that the Glock recoil spring is much stiffer than my father's Beretta. I'll try some decent 124gr. ammo next time I go shooting to break it in a little more and see if it runs okay.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Barely any at all. I've rented one years ago with my father before I purchased my own G17.

On a positive note - I did decent with my new G17 at the range yesterday when it DID shoot properly. I have noticed that the Glock recoil spring is much stiffer than my father's Beretta. I'll try some decent 124gr. ammo next time I go shooting to break it in a little more and see if it runs okay.
What ammo were you using this visit?

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

I didn't know the WWB was low power ammo. That's all I use and even with a 20# recoil spring, I don't have any problems.

I think that last sentence is about limp wrist-ing. Just a wild guess.

·
Banned
13,710 Posts
OP- I have a Glock 17 and 19. The only time either pistol had a problem was shooting WWB box ammo. I have come to the conclusion it is the crappiest ammo you can buy and I will never purchase it again.

·
GT Member
71 Posts
AHH.. must have been a Stockade gun just kidding????:rofl:

I just have a long and ongoing problem with them.:steamed:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am the owner of another new G17, 3rd generation. The first 50 rounds had about 5 FTF, all 5 with a new shooter from the first 20 rounds, about 30 rounds with an experienced shooter - no problems. The next time we shot, we had only one FTF from the same inexperienced shooter (we stiiffened up his grip), and no problems from the next 30 rounds or so. We shot a mix of WWB 9 mm, and a good grade (I can't remember the brand), of defense grade JHP. I am convinced the few problems we had were due to limp wristing and a mild load of WWB (but I wouldn't want to be shot by one).
I can tell a difference in the tension of the recoil spring already with only around 100 rounds or so. Keep shooting, everything I have read and my experience points to a possible limp wristing problem that will go away with a few rounds and a moderately good grip on the pistol.
Edit - forgot the first 17 rounds also had a failure to lock back after the last round. Never repeated again.

·
DJ, you're back
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
AHH.. must have been a Stockade gun just kidding????:rofl:

I just have a long and ongoing problem with them.:steamed:
Yeah, a lot of their employees aren't too friendly and their prices are a bit high. I purchased my Remington 870 from them a while ago and the price wasn't the greatest. I just go there for smaller things now such as patches, gun oil, etc.

Have you checked out Field Time yet? They're over on Beach/Hazard across from the cemetery. That's where I purchased my G17.

Now back to the topic: I'll try using a firmer grip on my Glock next time I go shooting. I probably was limp-wristing it. :embarassed:

·
GT Member
71 Posts
Have you checked out Field Time yet? They're over on Beach/Hazard across from the cemetery. That's where I purchased my G17.

:embarassed:
No, but I will when I go back to work in OC in two weeks I just haven't got there yet and I drive by it all the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts