close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3D Architecture / Game Tools?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by StoneGiant, Aug 18, 2004.

1. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

I'm assisting some folks in preparing a Business Plan for a combined Marksmanship and Tactical Training Center here in New Hampshire.

The proposed facility is 96,000 sf. It will be split into 18 pistol ranges, 18 rifle ranges, and two tactical training bays.

The marksmanship and tactical training areas will split the facility in half. The owners plan on putting a 747 fuselage, a bus, and a "Hogans' Alley" set of buildings in the two bays. Simunitions will be used for tactical training of SWAT, ATF, and other groups that want to learn how to operate singly or in a group in hostile / threat situations.

Oh, and there's a train track on the back part of the Tactical bays, so they're also going to have a train as part of the situation mockups.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Anyway, here's my question. I'm considering putting a 3d model into the Business Plan, so that the finance geeks and prospective customers can take a virtual tour of the facility. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a tool that would be appropriate for the model?

Considerations:

1) I used to be a C++ programmer, and could build the model using some of the graphics tools available on the internet.. However, a lobotomized tool that could be used by a non-programmer would be preferred.

2) The ability to build and edit the configuration is a requirement. I'm certain that we'll have to provide different configurations in our pitch to different groups.

3) It would be helpful if a "first-person shooter" perspective could be generated on the fly. This would add a gamer's perspective to the presentation, and would add some sizzle to the steak.

Thanks in advance!

-SG

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

There are several First Person Shooter 3D games out there that offer a level editor. Even Doom III has this option, but your mockup will all have to be rendered inside buildings. If you want some cool outdoors areas for some reason, there are Elder Scrolls III and Far Cry.

Perhaps you could adapt one of these level editors to suit your purposes?

Good luck!

3. Anon1

Anon1

Anything from 3D Studio Max to AutoCAD to one of those by Key or DesignKey called 3D Design Studio or something similar. They can all do what you want including the "fly-through" perspective animations.

If it is a one-project use, you don't have a couple of thousand $ to spend for the software, and you want to use the legal non-pirated versions, then you should check along the lines of the Key/DesignKey brand of simpler, cheaper, solutions like 3D Design Studio or FloorPlan 3D.

4. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

Everybody,

Thanks for the feedback.

-SG