close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.380acp pistol for my Sis.

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by paltik45, Nov 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. paltik45

paltik45

Hey Guys I am here again and as usual I need your help.:supergrin: My Sis back in Laguna asked me what gun should she get at this months gun show. The only thing I can think of is BERSA .380acp 7shot thunder. She needs one for concealed carry and she is just a petite lady and dont want a 1911 tucked in her waist. Her budget is around 15,000php and she needs to get one ASAP since one of her former employee just got out of jail. :sad: So if you could point us in the right direction I will gladly apreciate it. I wished they released the bad guy one week after my arrival in Manila in Dec. Merry Christmass to you all. :thumbsup:

2. G19cPH

G19cPH

BERSA .380acp

+1:)

3. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

is she a regular shooter?

if she's a beginner, she might be better served by a 38spec snubbie.

the taurus model 85 is nice and cheap.

4. badshot9mm

badshot9mm

5. Django

Django

I have a Bersa Thunder courtesy of MDAP and it's a good shooter. It's flat and very concealable. I would highly recommend it.

6. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

The Bersa is an ok pistol, my uncles have this and they have no complaints...but unless she's going to be carrying it in condition 1, it might be better is she had a model 85 snubbie. (You'd be surprised at the number of people who just pull the trigger of their semi's not realizing that there's no bullet in the chamber!) Although the Bersa has more ammo, the .38 is a better caliber, it's easier to fix the trigger spring of a revolver to make it a sweeter shooter than trying to make the Bersa easier to rack. Just my two cents.

To really save some money, why not buy a gun 2nd hand? There are a lot of snubbies for sale out there. I had one for a while myself. Let it go to buy a P3AT, then a PM9. (Keltecs and Kahrs are not recommended for women ah, mahirap din i-rack yung slide, but with enough practice magagawa din...or buy a Lady Kahr) Just make sure the snub you're going to buy is +P rated para pwede siyang mag-bala ng maganda.

7. paltik45

paltik45

Thanks for the quick replies my friends. Actualy she hates gun.... but after she found out that one of her employee just ot out of jail. She felt the clear and present danger when she saw him wondering around her property. She knows some basic things about guns and fired a couple of times the Bersa of my brother. Before my brother shifted to 1911 he asked her if she is interested with the gun. Unfortunately she declined and now she wants to get one for personal defense. BTW she doesnt like the "sting" of the 38spl snubbie after my kumpare asked her to shoot it. :animlol: Do you guys happened to know if it is available somewhere? Thanks.

8. Dok

Dok Rimfire Fan

bersa 380. have one for carry.:)

9. blueeagle

blueeagle

sir, this situation is best left to "professionals".;)

10. toxic

toxic

links to find the BERSA

http://www.pbdionisio.com/brochures...url=/home/pbdionisio/pbdionisio.com/brochures

http://www.hahn.com.ph/products.html

11. Kiddo

Kiddo

How much does the Bersa .380 go? Parts availability?

12. New_comer

New_comer

Saw this scene a couple of gunshows back where a l'il lady was trying on a Bersa for size. She couldn't even rack the thing. Sad thing was the sale pushed through despite some unsolicited "discouragement" from several onlookers (including me).

Agree with Kaizer. Her needs might be better served with a revolver. Too many things to remember just to operate a semi. But if she is really comfortable using semi-autos, may I suggest getting one in 9mm instead. More choices in ammo and platforms to launch it.

At 15thousand, a Tokarev-type 8 shooter can be had (10K iIRC). These are built like anvils and with the long sight radius, are natural pointers. At only 4'10", my buddies' wife can methodically topple that row of 6" plates there at Bilibid firing range at 15 yards. With ease. ;)

13. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Parts availability for the Bersa Thunder 380 here in RP is a joke.
    PBD really dropped the ball on this one... and I'm of half a mind to
    write BERSA President Benso Bonadimani to complain about PBD's
    mediocre distribution/marketing of BERSA.

The gun itself is nice.
    The first 2-3 mags are very nice shooting, but the pistol
    grots up within 70-100 rounds and needs cleaning.

For carry, it's easy to train one's self to flick off the safety during the draw, then DA/SA pulls.

It's much flatter than a Kahr MK, but a .380 is still a .380
    A 9mm or .40 may provide more confidence, but the first order of
    concern, regardless of caliber, is shot placement and speed.

Because it's a blowback, recoil is snappy (but nowhere near as harsh
    as a P3AT). A blowback is also tougher to cycle (rack) manually.
    If that's an issue, get a hammerless 5-shot revolver in .357 and
    keep it hopped up on .38 Special JHP's, although the triggers
    on those are noticeably heavier.

I have a website on the Bersa T380, linked to below :)

hth,

14. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

sir, i strongly reco a snubbie as carry for non-shooters.

think about it, at the moment of truth when she needs to use the gun, say she's being attacked already and she pulls it out, in that split second, do you think she will have the presence of mind to rack the slide? will she even have the hand strength to do it? a revolver is point and shoot, nothing to think about. pull the trigger and it goes boom.

i strongly believe that's more important than her aversion to the recoil of the snubbie. and anyway, the recoil she can get used to as she familiarizes herself with the gun and she practices with it.

if it was my wife that needed a gun, i'd give her a snubbie. that's how strongly i believe in it. :)

consider other people's advice also. it's up to you to make sense of it all. you're on the verge of a very important recommendation.

whatever the choice she (and you) eventually makes, it is imperative that she goes to the range and shoot the gun. having a gun might lull her into a false sense of security, tapos when the time comes, di pala nya alam gamitin.

practice, practice, practice.

15. vega

vega

+1 on the revolver. Get her a Taurus 85.
    I used to have a Bersa and my wife can't rack the slide. Recoil might be too much for her.

Take pics of the ex-employee and have it blottered.

16. MERCMADE

MERCMADE BULLET PROOF

+1 snubbie
    my wife has a s&w mod 36 with which she is very proficient,(5 shots rapid fire sa alpha at 7 meters).she used to have a walter ppk, kaya lang ni hinde nya makalabit in double action.Shes better armed now

17. paltik45

paltik45

Ok folks the jury just handed down the final verdict and the winner is......... (drum roll pls.) 1911 in 9mm caliber. She tried it yesterday with tatay and she handled it good. :thumbsup: So another 1911 convert in our family and she told me that she saw Mike Defensor's wife on TV during a competition. Now....who has the best price for a Norinco 1911 9mm single stack. Thanks:supergrin:

PS. If Deenoh's price for the Norc is not that much compared to the other stores I'll tell my sis to look for him at the upcoming gunshow. Thanks again.

18. DrDanO

DrDanO

1st I respectfully disagree with those who believe you or your sister will have to rack the slide before shooting the Bersa. Keep a round in the chamber when you carry... The Bersa is one of the safest pistols to carry out there. You have a mechanical thumb operated safety. With a round in the chamber you keep the safety on safe and you cannot shoot the gun until you choose to flick off the safety. I also disagree, respectfully, that the .38 is a better round than the .380. The 380 out of a 3 inch barrel is better than any type of .38 in a snubby, this is not opinion, it is verifiable if you care to look at the ballistics. But now I will go to my personal opinion. My daughter, a small young lady with not much in the way of arm strength, wanted a carry pistol. After the Concealed carry class we chose a Beretta Tomcat .32. I know the .32 is not a great defensive round. But she needed a small pistol, light weight, and very safe to carry in her purse with her hands always reaching in and rummaging around for things. The Tomcat has a positive safety thumb activated, also the "tip up" barrel makes it very easy to load and unload, not racking the slide needed. She doesn't keep a round in the barrel unless she wants it there. The Federal Hydrashock JHP round is fairly reasonable for defense, not the best by far, but with her limitations it is better than a .22 or a knife. She is a good shot with this pistol and isn't afraid to shoot it. Just my 2 cents, but for a small lady this is not a bad choice, IMHO.