38/357 magnum lead load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by illrooster132, May 2, 2012.

1. illrooster132

illrooster132

looking for loading data for the 130 gr lead bullet for the mentioned calibers. i have unique and win 231 my book does not list them . i looking to use that powder. thanx in advance. :wavey:

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. ColoCG

ColoCG

That might be hard to find. You can always use starting data for a heavier bullet of the same type and material like 150gr. and work the load up slowly.

What shape of lead bullet are you talking about,RN,SWC,WC,etc.

Are you talking about soft lead or cast bullets.

Last edited: May 2, 2012

3. illrooster132

illrooster132

These are cast sec bullets

4. fredj338

fredj338

Use 158gr LSWC data, it works fine. Work up from there 1/10gr at a time.

5. illrooster132

illrooster132

i have some w296 for magnum loads but the only data i found is for 140 gr with 17.1 min. would this be a good load?

6. ColoCG

ColoCG

I wouldn't recommend it. 296 works best with full power loads and jacketed bullets. If I were you I would stick with Unique. If you want to push that bullet faster, I would think that 2400 would be a better powder for you. It can be used with a larger range of loads.

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Just as a skydiver who has to ask, "what does the ripcord do?", shouldn't be jumping out the door, perhaps a loader who's not versed in the nuances of max loads might want to consider a bit more experience before venturing into that realm.

Hey, blame it on the "daddy and Nono" in me. Certainly don't mean to offend.

Jack

8. illrooster132

illrooster132

please explain.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

While firing max loads can be fun, (lets face it, we've all done it at one time or another), it does involve inherent risks to both gun and body.

Putting aside the fact that there is no practical reason for a max load other than the aforementioned 'fun factor' if one decides to approach such levels a comprehensive understanding of powder characteristics, (linear as opposed to non-linear pressure levels) makes the endeavor both safer and enjoyable.

I certainly didn't mean to impune your loading expertise or understanding but all too often folks ask for information concerning max loadings not realizing that very bad things can happen both quickly and unexpectedly.

Since I'm in the iddle of a very hectic, and noisy heavy equipment auction and am jumping on an off here just to keep my sanity perhaps I misread the jist of your OP. If so I apologize... if on the other hand you're not used to loading heavy getting comfortable with mid to high mid loadings with something in the Unique range certainy helps flatten the learning curve leading up to wrist flipping loads.

Again, if I offended you it certainly wasn't intentional. Oh, while I've got you here, I've got a 14 axle low boy available... got a 170,000 pound piece of equipment you need moved anywhere? :supergrin:

Jack

10. illrooster132

illrooster132

not offended by any means. im just looking for mid load to shoot lead with 357 mag, i have 3 pounds of the w296 and was looking for an excuse to use it. now i must look for a bullet that will accept that powder.
    im done with power loads. im happy just shooting mild loads. and my many .22lr rifles and pistols.

thanx again for the input.
    i have some rifle powder and large riffle primers i need to use. so i started loading for my 30-30.
    i need more bullets!

11. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Hodgdon's site has data for a 135 LRN-FP and W231/HP-38 in the .357 It's safe to use data for a slightly heavier bullet. Bullet shape should not play a factor in the .357.

I'm not a fan of Unique for mid range loads, very sooty. W296/H110 is a no-no for anything but full power loads with heavy bullets, preferable jacketed and magnum primers.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. ColoCG

ColoCG

If your happy shooting mild loads, ww296 is not the powder for you. It is strictly a high power load, made to deliver the highest velocities in magnum cartridges. The 231 and Unique you have would satisfy your wish for mild to medium loads and then some.