Glock Talk banner

38/357 coated bullet crimp question

1430 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  techiej
I've been reloading for a while in a number of calibers - including 38/357.

For 38/357 I reload for a revolver and have been using a roll crimp with SJSP bullets.

I would like to switch to coated (which I have done for 9 & 45) but am unsure regarding crimp for a revolver load.

So, couple of question s as follows for those who do reload for 38/357, revolver, with coated bullets:

1. Do you roll crimp your rounds?
  2. If you do not roll crimp (eg taper) do you have any problems with bullet movement in a revolver?
  3. How hot (FPS) are you pushing your rounds (FYI these are for a 6" revolver)?
  4. If you are roll crimping you are then using a bullet with a cannelure - which brand have you been using and which weight?

Thanks!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18,795 Posts
It has been a while since I loaded any revolver rounds, a while for any lately. Back when I was loading more 38Spl and .357M, I favored 125gr LRN for the 38's and 158 LSWC for the 357M's. My favorite vendor for lead is SNS Casting, they have the same bullets in traditional lube or coated. I always crimp in the cannelure with a light roll crimp.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A
It has been a while since I loaded any revolver rounds, a while for any lately. Back when I was loading more 38Spl and .357M, I favored 125gr LRN for the 38's and 158 LSWC for the 357M's. My favorite vendor for lead is SNS Casting, they have the same bullets in traditional lube or coated. I always crimp in the cannelure with a light roll crimp.
Appreciate the info..I'll order some sns and see how it goes.

· Registered
8 Posts
I use 158 gn SWC italian production (Target Bullets) with copper coating extra thickness (they say...)
Roll crimp on RCBS seater 3/8 turn.
I could test rounds for pressure and velocity (2,5 meters) for 5-rounds strings.
Here below results:
1- Case Fiocchi powder Lovex D032-03 6,5 grains COL 1.580" primer CCI 500 Pressure 2384 bar SD 73, velocity 1142 SD 7.2.
Range results on S&W 686 6" : 1083 fps, SD 18.7 (Cronograph RCBS Ammomaster at 10' from muzzle)

2- Case and primer and COL as above, powder VV N340, 7.4 grains, pressure 2307 bar SD 140, velocity 1193 SD 11.0
Range results 1090 SD 12.7

I never met any difficulty in crimping, but this is a light roll-crimp,anyway.
Taking into account data, Lovex seems to be very good powder for this job , but I think you have there a lot of options as to powders are concerned . Here in Italy unfortunately we have only a lot of restrictions and burocrats.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just tried some test rounds - bayou 158 sec with 3.5gr of bullseye. very nice target load out of my gp100 (6"). used a light roll crimp into the cannelure.

Still need to chrono but felt good & accurate enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.