357SIG proving to be an unbelievable manstopper???

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by glock20c10mm, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Teecher45

Teecher45

I believe it’s quite the opposite.

If the sig round was more popular the big ammo companies would offer more variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. fredj338

fredj338

The only round more niche than 357sig is the 10mm, ok maybe 41mag. I like the 357sig a lot. In my p239 or a g32, it holds 9-14rds & is the same size & wt as a m66/2.5". Only slightly more recoil & slower splits than 9mm+p in the same platforms. I just got a bbl for my m27, I want to play with the 357sig in the shorter bbl & see if its worth the effort vs my g26.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    triggerjerk and Railsplitter like this.

3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

If you want to tame the 357 Sig recoil try these 65gr XDs . These barrier blind jewels at 2100 fps deliver 640 ft/lbs of energy but have less felt recoil than a +p 124gr 9mm.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785699397689

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  4. fredj338

fredj338

The issue for me with boutique ammo is practice & initial reliability check. Then when they are no longer made, start over. I am actually fine with gdhp or hst.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

It is my guess that Underwood uses a 6 inch barrel revolver to get their 357 Mag velocities.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  6. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

The .38 Super was penetrating cars long ago. The modern .38 Super Compt brass can be loaded to astounding pressures in ramped fully supported chambers.

Mr Meeseeks and spork like this.
  7. Keith E.

Keith E.

Just wanted to drop this here since it comes from a gentleman, Mas Ayoob, that has been involved in the research of "field reports" for a while now. It is his reply to a gentleman inquiring about reliable projectile expansion when winter clothing is involved.

I wouldn’t worry about it. .357 SIG has been used extensively in cold climates (Oklahoma and the Dakotas) and I’ve heard no reports of expansion failures due to clothing plugging bullets. High velocity seems to overcome that problem as it did with 125 grain.357 Magnum in the
    service revolver days.

Best,
    Mas

dubito, Bus007, triggerjerk and 2 others like this.
  8. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Well, case closed! LOL!

Teecher45 likes this.
  9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Mas has made several positive observations regarding the 357 Sig's performance.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

What calibers does he carry from one day to the next?

What doesn't he carry from one day to the next?

AdamRodgers likes this.
  11. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

9mm too.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Likes his 1911's, too. Then again, I seem to recall he liked his Ruger P90 back in the day while working for one of his agencies. Still respects the venerable 6-shot .357 wheelies of yore, as well. A well-rounded gentleman of discriminating taste and experience. ;)

AdamRodgers and George Kaplan like this.
  13. Teecher45

Teecher45

I don’t think anyone is denying that it works.
    Were just saying it doesn’t work any better than a premium 9mm load and not quite as well as a premium.40 load.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

He has been ask this question before and just states that his carry gun varies with the situation depending on where he is or what he is doing. Also often reports carrying a BUG.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  15. fastbolt

fastbolt

You're right. Yep, usually because of ammunition availability constraints of the arguably less popular caliber.

When I had the chance to meet him for dinner he was wearing a 1911 (.45ACP). His travels, training and writing businesses have him using various guns for classes (and competitions), as well as when evaluating guns submitted to him. Understandable. (Nice job if you can get it, too. :) )

I did remember seeing an article of his from a few years ago where he expressed respect for the .357, and mentioned he owns and carries/uses a G31, M&P 357C & P229 in that caliber on his own property. :)

https://dailycaller.com/2016/09/29/massad-ayoob-reconsidering-the-357-sig/

But it's still not quite so cut and dried, as he opines in a later article.

https://americanhandgunner.com/our-experts/the-current-rise-of-the-9mm/

"When chambered for .357 SIG, which Smith & Wesson now unfortunately produces only on special order from police departments, the M&P Compact delivers extraordinary accuracy. My friend Steve Denney, a retired police supervisor and current trainer, has a .357 SIG M&P Compact that I’ve seen deliver 25-yard groups from a benchrest that measured barely over an inch for five shots."

"The .357 SIG is an inherently accurate cartridge it seems in all size guns for which it is chambered. When George Harris was the lead instructor at the Sig Sauer Academy, he took his annual deer with a subcompact Sig P239 in .357 SIG. I don’t recall him ever needing more than one perfectly placed shot regardless of the distance involved."

This article is worth reading for reasons other than the mention of the .357, though. :)

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2018/02/short-barreled-guns-ayoob/

At the end of the day we're seeing a decline in the number of agencies using .357. I don't expect that to really change, myself. That being the case, I suspect that the effects will reverberate into the commercial/private market, reflected in both make/model production and ammunition availability.

I still sometimes idly consider whether ordering a Glock factory G33 barrel and some G33 mags for my G27 might be an interesting indulgence, but the fact is that I'd have to buy the new caliber ammunition, as well. (My younger reloading days, and my interest in it, are behind me.) Considering that converting my G27 into a G33 wouldn't really offer me anything I can't already essentially realize in my 9's, .40's and .45's, or my various .357MAG revolvers, it would be an indulgence that probably won't occur.

Maybe if Glock ever decides to have a fire sale on the G33 barrels and mags ... and any of the local stores ever decide to build up a stock of major maker .357 ammo, and then slash the prices to move it off the shelves. :p (Living in CA I can't order ammo drop shipped to my house anymore, and the gun stores will likely either order it to sell to you, or charge a fee for receiving and transferring it to you.)

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Less than 60 days for this thread topic to reach 10 years.

Will there be fewer LE agencies using .357 by the end of that 10 year run of this thread? Kinda seems so.

Might be interesting to see how things stand in both the LE/Gov and the private/commercial market in yet another 10 years.

I've certainly seen some shifts in each of the 10 year intervals when I stopped and looked around beginning back in the 70's (when I was old enough to buy guns for myself).

I suspect the only consistency in duty/defensive handguns and ammunition in the coming years will be ... change. ;)

AdamRodgers likes this.
  17. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

What's so unbelievable about it?

18. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I feel for you dude. I know premium carry ammo for any caliber is hard to find in LGS. I can't even remember the last time I saw a box of Speer GD on a shelf.

AdamRodgers and fredj338 like this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

Plus each transaction is tracked so doj knows how much ammo you buy. The per round tax is coming too & I expect since the can track it, they will at some point limit the amount you can buy per month.
    I wont play the game. I reLoad all my practice & match ammo. Before this madness set in I bought 500rds of each caliber I carry. It will last me at least until I leave the state in a couple years. I am ok fighting the fight but at some point you realize you will always lose.

dubito, AdamRodgers and Railsplitter like this.
  20. Teecher45

Teecher45

In 10 years they’ll have then.380 loads up to the modern 9mm loads.

AdamRodgers and Railsplitter like this.