357SIG proving to be an unbelievable manstopper???

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by glock20c10mm, Jan 15, 2010.

1. fredj338

fredj338

I would not call delivering 6 good high COM hits @ 7y in about 2.5sec from the holster spraying & praying??

Neldon and AdamRodgers like this.
  2. Lil

Lil

Don't confuse the fact that a 16% difference is, indeed, 'statistically significant' with your willingness or ability to acknowledge/recognize the significance.;)

Yes, 16% increased penetration is significant.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    glock20c10mm likes this.

3. fredj338

fredj338

This is the mantra of the shooter who has never or rarely shot in competition or much tactical training. The faster I deliver good hits the better. That is what split times are all about, regardless of caliber. Split times & transitions matter. They matter more when engaging multiple attackers. A lot can happen in 1sec.

dubito likes this.
  4. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

While there be a 16% difference in the velocities I used as an example, there is not a 16% difference in terminal effectiveness between two projectiles travelling at those two different velocities.

glock20c10mm and fredj338 like this.
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Energy dump dave, energy dump!:cheers:

6. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

A 16% increase in velocity equals a 32% increase in energy plus the increased shock value of the greater velocity = a more effective SD round.

Neldon and AR-Tenner like this.
  7. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Again were are not talking about people or their training or their shot speed or their accuracy or their tacticool training, or their range time etc etc. If this thread was titled shooters and their training your comments would be relevant but it isn't. You might want to check out the Tactics and Training forum it might be right up your alley since that seems to be all you want to talk about.

This forum is about the 357 Sig caliber not whether or not someone has had "tactical" training.

triggerjerk and glock20c10mm like this.
  8. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

You could be right. I haven't seen evidence to the contrary.
    I didn't ask that. Railsplitter and I were referencing the 357SIG as a manstopper, therefore making the point of training and practice being a whole nother unrelated conversation from that of the simple capability of the 357SIG itself, from a standpoint good shot placement was already achieved.
    I'm pretty sure virtually everyone around here knows the 9mm is the most popular service cartridge in the USA and more than likely will continue to be for some time to come.
    No doubt 357SIG has a loyal following.

Railsplitter likes this.
  9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

And that's really all that matters after all.

10. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

I agree. That is assuming you're shooting at inanimate targets that don't shoot back.

If actually in a gunfight 2.5 seconds can be an eternity. I would expect one of the only reasons you'd still be standing perfectly still making your "good high COM hits" is because the BGs own firearm jammed or the BG was tripped up. If that's the case you probably aren't justified in further continuous shooting.

11. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

Within reason and among other factors, yes.

12. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

That's your assumption without knowing all the facts.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Even further evidence of why accurate splits are valid. If my fight is going to be 1.75 sec & I can land 2 good hits from the holster, I probably win.
    Btw, if my target is moving, splits even more valid as the target takes more hits before movement. Anyone that doesnt think fast accurate shooting s valid in any gunfight, I submit they just have no idea how to do it.
    Fact, if you cant do it on the range when bullets arent flying, you sure as hell wont under fire. We train & practice so we can be better under stress. As one instructor told me & it sticks in my head; "you'll be 1/2 as good in a fight as your worst day at the range". So yes, split times & transitions matter. Moving or standing still, faster good hits are always better than slower good hits.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Teecher45 and AdamRodgers like this.
  14. fredj338

fredj338

If one cant delver the accuracy @ speed the power doesnt matter. Yeah that is relevant to anyone seriously carrying a gun.

15. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

You are talking about the shooter again.

16. fredj338

fredj338

You seem to think the gun & shooter are somehow detached??

Teecher45 likes this.
  17. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I have a 357 sig bar sto barrel for my Glock 35 , I like shooting 100 yard steel with it the thing is a laser beam and super accurate someday I’ll put a RMR on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamRodgers likes this.
  18. Keith E.

Keith E.

MLM,

Have you run any loads over a chrono yet? I dropped an LWD threaded barrel in my 35 and averaged 1477fps over 5rds @ 10'. It was early fall, a comfortable 60ish degrees. This was with the Speer 125GDHP load that shows 1375fps on the box. As a reference Hornady, .357mag 125JHP ran 1343fps from a 4' S&W 66. These were within a couple minutes of each other with a Ladradar.

Sorry for the thread drift, carry on.

Keith

ETA- Punctuation

triggerjerk and Mayhem like Me like this.
  19. Deputydave

Those are the facts. It's not an assumption, it's simply math.

Teecher45 likes this.
  20. Deputydave

And yet any and all reputable studies clearly demonstrate that all service calibers are statistically the same in terms of terminal effectiveness. All clearly fall within the margin of error. These studies, by actual wound ballistics experts in various fields, have been linked to and thoroughly discussed multiple times in multiple sections of the board.

I am not familiar with any reputable source that still touts 'shock' as a significant wounding mechanism when discussing handguns and service calibers.

Teecher45 likes this.