Glock Talk banner
481 - 500 of 1,858 Posts
Discussion starter · #482 ·
I do find that interesting, however, there is something that people who view this do not take into consideration often times. The thoracic cavity is not homogenous like gelatin blocks are. There exists many "partitions", as it were, and lots of empty/dead space. Energy is not distributed nearly as efficiently through the thoracic cavity as it is through a gelatin block.
You're correct about the gelatin blocks. Aside from that I forgot to mention that the added damage I've seen in pics with 357SIG over 9mm was in deer and in goats. Plus I've been told about it in feral dogs and coyotes.

TOTALLY wrong. If you were to examine the wound the 1400 fps round makes compared to the 800 fps one in feral hogs of similar size, you would understand...HUGE difference.
The wound I linked you to from a 127gr +P+ 9mm looks identical to the wound from a 230gr Golden Sabre. A deer was involved. That is about 900fps vs. 1300fps, or thereabouts.

Yes but it says the wounds look alike and the 45 pic was taken at a closer range. For me, if a .355 can make the same size wound as a 45, then velocity must to have something to do with it. I also do not know if looking at a wound tells the whole story of the effectiveness. If I thought that a 9mm could make the same wound as a 45, I would be carrying my light G19 instead of the heavier XD or 1911.

Yes but it says the wounds look alike and the 45 pic was taken at a closer range. For me, if a .355 can make the same size wound as a 45, then velocity must to have something to do with it. I also do not know if looking at a wound tells the whole story of the effectiveness. If I thought that a 9mm could make the same wound as a 45, I would be carrying my light G19 instead of the heavier XD or 1911.
I alluded to this as well. I agree with you that "something is up" if a .55" projectile is making the same wound as a .75" projectile. (expanded, rough estimate).

Also, the author claimed he could not tell whether a 9mm or a .45 was used on the deer or javelina, based on their reaction and the outcome.

However, he also says things that sound quite contrary to any BPW causing any TBI's.

Discussion starter · #490 · (Edited)
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm%20vs%2045.htm

Read the whole article, it's pretty interesting, I think, and the man has obviously "been there, done that" with regards to shooting lots of animals with zippy .355's and slow .45's.

What I personally drew from it:

We know the 9mm and the .45 do NOT create identical permanent wound-cavities. The .45 creates a larger one. Yet the 9mm performed just the same as the .45. Why? Velocity? TC made up for the smaller permanent cavity? I won't even pretend to know. However, these experiences also seem to discount BPW having any effect, at least that this author saw. If a lightweight animal being hit with a zippy round reacted the same as a lightweight animal being hit with a 900fps hard cast bullet, I would say BPW was not at play here.

Included is a picture of a wound from a .45 and from a 127 +P+. Sadly, they are close-ups and you can't tell much.

Again, from the article:

I don't think this means they did BETTER than the .45, but that they did as well (reading the whole article), and he could not account for it. However, I would hazard a guess that the damage he referred to these rounds causing was a factor of fragmentation and not necessarily velocity. Ergo, chalk it up to bullet design instead of velocity (I guess you could argue that velocity caused fragmentation, but then, one could just argue in favor of using Glasers or something, not something I would do.). As he said later in the article, a 185gr Corbon did the same thing.

IN THE END

It seems that regardless of the mechanism used, 9mm, .45, .40, and .357 SIG all do about the same darn thing when you use the right ammo. You pays your moneys, you makes your choice, and you do your damndest to defend it on some random internet forum.
I didn't skim it. I believe you added all this when you edited the post adding all this additional stuff after I had already quoted it when it had been a much smaller post. Hadn't gone back to look at it after I quoted it.

I read the link. It was interesting. I can't explain what the man says in reguard to the various loads all seeming to drop game equally well overall. Then again, there's no good reason it shouldn't have happened the way it did. I do assume he's generally telling the God's honest truth. What I can say is that I would't have expected any overall difference between 9 or 45.

A man from Mississippi was the one who told me of the feral dogs and coyotes he's shot. He had specifically claimed that he had used 9mm 127gr +P+ (among some other 9mm loads) and a 125gr 357SIG load (can't remember the specific load). He said the 357SIG load clearly dispatched the animals quicker on average than any 9mm load he had ever used. He assured me he had taken out dozens of animals before coming to that conclusion.

My theory is that it really takes ~1400fps and up with bullets that penetrate 10" - 13" in ballistic gel and expand well with a little bit to a moderate amount of fragmentation to begin to really start noticing the effects of BPW taking effect any kind of majority of the time. I have nothing to back that up. Can't prove it, and only have circumstancial evidence to support it.

That said, it's not that surprising to me that the guy in the link you provided didn't see a difference in incapcitation times between the 45 load and 9mm 127gr +P+ load. I think it would have been more telling to see results from a sample size a bit larger than 1 each. But we can't always have our cake and eat it too. Therefore, I digress.

Discussion starter · #491 ·
However, he also says things that sound quite contrary to any BPW causing any TBI's.
Sure, but it also didn't sound as though his sample size was any greater than 1 with any individual load. Besides that for most loads he mentioned (even outside of 9 and 45), any effects by BPW would have ranged from surprising it happened to unlikely that it would happen.

Sure, but it also didn't sound as though his sample size was any greater than 1 with any individual load. Besides that for most loads he mentioned (even outside of 9 and 45), any effects by BPW would have ranged from surprising it happened to unlikely that it would happen.
Reading the article, it looks like he shot a LOT of pigs on that trip...

I think the real question comes down to.....

1. What advantages does the .357 offer over the .40S&W in the same platform.

2. In the same platform, is it worth sacrificing a few rounds of 9mm to gain a slight edge in stopping power by going to the 357?

3. Removing extended ranges and slightly better barrier penetration from the equation, what advantages, if any, are left?

4. What % of shootings where extended range and slightly better barrier penetration of the .357SIG a deciding factor?

5. For the "average" civilian, what advantage does the 357 offer, considering the actual dynamics of most self defense shootings?

I think the real question comes down to.....

1. What advantages does the .357 offer over the .40S&W in the same platform.
Better penetration of certain hard targets, such as metal air-compressors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7qU09eo1Bk

2. In the same platform, is it worth sacrificing a few rounds of 9mm to gain a slight edge in stopping power by going to the 357?
That is a personal question. It depends on the scenarios someone thinks they will encounter.

3. Removing extended ranges and slightly better barrier penetration from the equation, what advantages, if any, are left?
The 357SIG seems inherently more accurate. Based on testing done by Dr. Roberts, and others.

4. What % of shootings where extended range and slightly better barrier penetration of the .357SIG a deciding factor?
I am unsure, but I do recall an article a while back in a LE magazine about police engaugements at 40+ yards using their side-arms. Seems it does happen.

5. For the "average" civilian, what advantage does the 357 offer, considering the actual dynamics of most self defense shootings?
The "average" citizen will never have to shoot someone, and if they do, there is no "average" shooting.
You should carry what you feel most confident in.

I'm no big fan of the sig, but seeing how a G32 becomes a G19 after a barrel swap. It would make sense to go ahead and grab a G32/23.

For civvies 9mm is more economical but LE is a different story, but even in that light I still would opt for 9mm. SHTF or not, I have a feeling 9mm will be the last cartridge ever fired.

For me it's either 9mm or 45, easier to find and cheaper. You'll notice how people with assault rifles feel secure with such a sissy handgun load.:supergrin:

This statement is true if you have trained with your weapon and are capable of putting rounds in COM or head. The best man stoppers are in the hands of those who train and can put rounds in the right spot.

I believe the 357SIG performance is about the same as the 38 Super Colt brought out in 1929 to help LE's penetrate auto bodies. History recycled.:wow:
Pretty much, and for almost the same reasons. However, we now have bonded-bullets, and reliable JHP's. This makes the 357SIG more than the 38 Super was back in its hay-day by quite a margin.

481 - 500 of 1,858 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.