Glock Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
Koodos but why did you have any ammo left?;)
Id already bought the SR9c and traded the Glock 23 . I had some of a left over case and was like.... why do I have this .40 ammo taking up closet space when i dont have the gun anymore....so I put a fast ad on PAFOA(PAfirearms owners web site) and advertised .40S&W ammo for sale and got a bite in less than a hour. just never got around to it I guess. Plus id gotten a 9mm conversion barrel by then and was using that mostly as the S&W .40 by then had jumped price from about $13 a box to about $20 a box (went from 9mm price to .45 ACP price and that was at walmart....and id been using mostly 9MM but then I had a lot more of that ;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's best to take the long term outlook on ammo. Seems easy enough, but for so many of us we've been able to buy whatever we want, whenever we want. And it's hard to change that mindset:
Dove season starts next week? Time to swing by LGS or box store and get 20ga ammo. Oops, should have thought about that 3 months ago.
I don't need to think about Fall deer season until October, or is it too late?
I can always pick up 1000 rounds of steel case AK ammo...can you though?

It looks like the 2nd 22 LR crisis is over. Long term thinking says to buy now, in bulk. Not a great time for 5.7x28 & 357sig. Time to shoot other guns or just buy what you need...but when those prices normalize, be ready to pounce.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Should have bought a reloading press instead.....
I've been reloading for 15+ years. My only brown pants moment was when I lit off a 357 SIG cartridge that clocked over 1,600 fps. I made a mistake in my process - flaring the case mouth after dropping powder - that took me a couple weeks to figure out. However, that case is so short many loads are compressed or close to it. Also the neck contact area on the bullet is very small, so you have to worry about bullet setback. It's nothing like reloading 45 ACP or 38 Special.

Bottom line: it's the only cartridge I have a gun for that I don't reload for. Neat cartridge with almost 357 Magnum ballistics in a semiauto, but it's loud as all get out. I'm seriously considering selling my HKs chambered in 357 SIG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was searching online for some me 357Sig. I found most places that have them in stock are $70-80 for 50 rounds of practice ammo. Those that sold them for $50 or less are out of stock. I bought 1000 rounds a few years ago for $380 and it was considered foolish by most.
Acquired a Sig239 SAS with extra 357 sig barrel and 3 boxes of ammo. Nice snappy caliber. After seeing the current cost of ammo, I decided to buy the dies and reload. After a couple tries, I settled on 8.8 grains of HS6, with 124 grain, and SPMP. OAL 1.30. Finnished off with Lee factory crimper. Have not chronograph it yet, as my chronograph gave up the ghost. $40 RCBS dies $18 LEE factory crimp $ 20 once fired nickle brass (250). As with anything in life your milage may vary.

·
Registered
39,330 Posts
I've been reloading for 15+ years. My only brown pants moment was when I lit off a 357 SIG cartridge that clocked over 1,600 fps. I made a mistake in my process - flaring the case mouth after dropping powder - that took me a couple weeks to figure out. However, that case is so short many loads are compressed or close to it. Also the neck contact area on the bullet is very small, so you have to worry about bullet setback. It's nothing like reloading 45 ACP or 38 Special.

Bottom line: it's the only cartridge I have a gun for that I don't reload for. Neat cartridge with almost 357 Magnum ballistics in a semiauto, but it's loud as all get out. I'm seriously considering selling my HKs chambered in 357 SIG.
Well compressed loads actually helpful in the 357sig in preventing setback. Compressed loads by themselves are not unsafe. Most of my rifle loads are 100%+ compressed for best accuracy. Of course powder burn rate is important here. IMO< it isnt any harder to load for than straight wall cases just requires attention to bullet selection & die setup.

·
Registered
39,330 Posts
Acquired a Sig239 SAS with extra 357 sig barrel and 3 boxes of ammo. Nice snappy caliber. After seeing the current cost of ammo, I decided to buy the dies and reload. After a couple tries, I settled on 8.8 grains of HS6, with 124 grain, and SPMP. OAL 1.30. Finnished off with Lee factory crimper. Have not chronograph it yet, as my chronograph gave up the ghost. $40 RCBS dies $18 LEE factory crimp $ 20 once fired nickle brass (250). As with anything in life your milage may vary.
Unfortunately, the original RCBS dies were all wrong for the 357sig. Headspace was wrong & no flare die, stupid. Dillon carbide dies are spot on. I have a LFCD for the 357sig but havent tried it yet. I also have a P239, stupid accurate little gun in 357sig.

Reactions: Mariachi 132

·
Registered
663 Posts
From a factory ammo perspective, the caliber is probably done. Anything on the shelf (most likely in a warehouse via online) is priced crazy high. I would be surprised if any of the major ammo players allocate resources for production. I had been a fan since 1998, 4 years after it's intro. However, I recently sold nearly 100% of my inventory and have no plans to refill the caliber. My G32 becomes a dedicated G23, or maybe someday a G19. 165 gr .40 is readily available and the momentum factor (1130 fps or greater) is higher compared to 125 gr 357 SIG at 1350-1375 fps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agree 100%. Its definitely a nitch caliber, much like the 400 corbon.
It came with the gun purchase. Definitely not going out of my way to aquire any more pistols chambered in 357 sig.
Think my next project caliber is 4570 lever action.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Still can find UA .357 for the same price as 9mm HST shopping around, and speer 1k pack was under $700. Only if I didnt get more UA recently!
Right now, .357 sig isnt particularly expensive with all things relative.

Making "real" 10mm ammo has been a major factor in the success of the boutique ammo companies especially Double Tap. When the big companies were ready to toss the 10 out with the trash the boutiques stepped in. The boutiques will gladly continue to offer 357 Sig and others that the big five ignore and in some cases offer superior and more innovative ammo than what the big 5 are putting out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't weigh in from a U.S perspective, but much like 10MM; .357Sig has a cult/niche following all over the world. It's no different here in South Africa.
I can go to my local gunshop and find Sig 125gr FMJ, Sig 125gr V-Crown, 140gr S&B FMJ, 125gr WW FMJ, 125gr WW PDX-1/Ranger Bonded and sometimes 135gr Hornady Critical Duty or 125gr Cor-Bon JHP and if you're really lucky some 125gr Speer Gold Dots. That's a good sized gunshop in Jhb, South Africa nevermind a large sporting store in the U.S (Cabella's etc.)

Price wise it's comparable to .40 or .45ACP locally and even smaller, obscure gunshops will have at least 1 ammo option in .357Sig. Same for 10MM. So it's not dead or dying; it's just not top of any manufacturers priority list. The curse of niche calibers!

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I can't weigh in from a U.S perspective, but much like 10MM; .357Sig has a cult/niche following all over the world. It's no different here in South Africa.
I can go to my local gunshop and find Sig 125gr FMJ, Sig 125gr V-Crown, 140gr S&B FMJ, 125gr WW FMJ, 125gr WW PDX-1/Ranger Bonded and sometimes 135gr Hornady Critical Duty or 125gr Cor-Bon JHP and if you're really lucky some 125gr Speer Gold Dots. That's a good sized gunshop in Jhb, South Africa nevermind a large sporting store in the U.S (Cabella's etc.)

Price wise it's comparable to .40 or .45ACP locally and even smaller, obscure gunshops will have at least 1 ammo option in .357Sig. Same for 10MM. So it's not dead or dying; it's just not top of any manufacturers priority list. The curse of niche calibers!

Lets face it the future in SD handguns is going to require some degree of vest penetration. Since vests are becoming more and more common in the bad guy world so handguns and/or their ammo will need to adapt. The 357 Sig and Underwood now provide a round with a velocity of 2200 fps. A little bullet design adjustment and the future is now with a 357 Sig.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Lets face it the future in SD handguns is going to require some degree of vest penetration. Since vests are becoming more and more common in the bad guy world so handguns and/or their ammo will need to adapt. The 357 Sig and Underwood now provide a round with a velocity of 2200 fps. A little bullet design adjustment and the future is now with a 357 Sig.
Spot on. Hence the attraction of the Tokarev locally here in S.A., especially amongst criminals. Same would apply for the FN 57x28. A solid brass spun bullet like a THV would do really well out of a .357Sig and there is a guy locally here, who manufactures them for 9x19, .357Sig and 5.56x45. Those THV's blow through level 3A aramid vests like a bullet through butter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
From a factory ammo perspective, the caliber is probably done. Anything on the shelf (most likely in a warehouse via online) is priced crazy high. I would be surprised if any of the major ammo players allocate resources for production. I had been a fan since 1998, 4 years after it's intro. However, I recently sold nearly 100% of my inventory and have no plans to refill the caliber. My G32 becomes a dedicated G23, or maybe someday a G19. 165 gr .40 is readily available and the momentum factor (1130 fps or greater) is higher compared to 125 gr 357 SIG at 1350-1375 fps.
Such a pity mate. I loved your .357Sig vids and I would've loved to have seen more. Same for your .357Mag?
I am glad we agree on the efficacy of the 165gr full power .40 loads, they along with some 155gr .40 loads are the pinnacle of .40. Miss your vids!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts