Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Copper
View attachment 384771 I got tired of the 357sig setback. Eventually all my carry loads began setting back. It might be ok for slight setback on a 9mm or a 40 but I wont take the risk of a 357sig round with its high pressure. Its a fast and accurate round but in the end I dont have the budget to cycle through ammo that fast and to keep replacing my carry loads. I put a stormlake 40sw conversion barrel in my g31g3 and it works flawlessly. Did anyone else have this problem and what did you do?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Setback isn't a problem at all if you pick a powder that ensures 100% load density. No where for the bullet to set back to, a compressed load has many advantages.
I haven't reloaded 357sig only 45 acp, 38spl and 357magnum. Maybe I should have so I could have added some crimp to the loads?

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I haven't reloaded 357sig only 45 acp, 38spl and 357magnum. Maybe I should have so I could have added some crimp to the loads?
Crimp won't help with setback, unless you have a cannelure to crimp into. Crimping into the side of the bullet only serves to remove neck tension as the case has more spring to it than the lead/copper under it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WWB fmj's never had setback for me. WWB jhps did as well as golden sabers and federal premiums. The hornady critical defenses did not and I think they had cannelured bullets.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course it is. My preferred carry load in my 9mm mouse guns is Federal HST 124gr +P. It is a compressed load, the bullet can't set back.
I carried 147 gr federal hydrashoks in my p89 for years, never had a set back. I also had the hydrashoks in my 1911 and px4 storm with no issues. My partner's 1911 held golden sabers and hydrashoks with no setback.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I have loaded and unloaded GD and HST many times over the years. I have heard of set back issues but have never experienced it with my old 32 and with my 33. For target ammo I use Georgia Arms ammo. If I had the set back as posted in the pic I would look at the gun.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
There is a way you can load a round without causing any setback but I am sure it is not an approved method, but it works. No it is not putting a round in the pipe and dropping the slide either.

Reactions: fredj338

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I've used a Gen4 G31 and a Gen2.5 G27 converted to a G33 as my main auto-pistols for six years. I use Underwood 125gr JHP and Georgia Arms 125-gr JHP and FMJ. I measure the cartridge OAL every time I eject a cartridge before I put the round back into a magazine. I'm getting tired of that, because I have never detected any bullet setback. You are doing something different from me, apparently.

Allowing misplaced apprehension to force such a significant degradation in G32 functionality as using an aftermarket barrel in 40SW is not well reasoned. Instead, I would find out what sort of mishandling is causing your setback issues...and stop it. :)

BTW, assuming the aftermarket 40SW barrel approximates OEM quality, it's no surprise that it works well in your G32. An OEM Gen3 G32 is every part identical to an OEM Gen3 G23 except for barrel, rear sight elevation, and caliber/model designations on the slide's left side.

Welcome to Glock Talk.

Reactions: Tosh Lanquist

·
20,680 Posts
1. In the beginning, lack of extra magazines;
2. I dry fire practice a lot.
3. I used to unload it when I came home at night after my shift was over.

That's where the problem lies. I never unload my carry gun unless I go to the range. Then I fire off my carry ammo, fire some practice ammo, and then take the gun home and clean it, then I do my dryfire practice and then reload with more carry ammo.

·
Registered
37,568 Posts
All rounds will setback with repeated chambering, the 357sig is a bit worse. Riding the slide is an unacceptable methode that does help, but you risk setting yourself up for a FT fire if the slide isnt in battery. You have two options; chamber until the round is 1/16" shorter (0.060"), then it is a practice rd to be shot once. Stop unloading daily or if you do, rotate the top round into the bottom of the mag.
Btw, nothing wrong with conversion bbls. I have a G32, it is flawless with a 40 & 9mm bbl, 1000s of rds worth.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Riding the slide works fine. If a person can't visually tell the slide is or isn't in battery, they have bigger problems than setback.

I've been doing it that way for like 20 years now, no issues at all... But if a person was that kind of worrier, then just whack it on the back of the slide for good measure.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.