close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.357 Silvertips for whitetails?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Nickotym, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Anyone have experience using Winchester Silvertips out of a .357 for deer? Good or bad appreciated. Will be using a Blackhawk.

Edited to add: I will only be using these for does as I did not draw a buck gun tag this year. I will have to double check the grains as I am not sure how heavy the bullet is.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Deer are pretty thin skinned, but there's still quite a bit of muscle there. Plus if it hits the shoulder through an errent shot or just plain bad luck I doubt it could penetrate through well enough to bring the deer down cleanly. That bullet is more for penetrating the thinner muscle and rib cage of a human than an animal. Even though a grown man and a deer weigh the same the makeup is different. Plus we're just not as tough as deer. How many guys do you know who can take a 12ga slug to the chest and still run 50 yards? :)

I'm sure you could kill a deer with that load, but there are better options out there. Any quality JSP or Hard Cast bullet will have both the expansion and retained energy to do the job. If you want to stick with Winchester the Super-X JSP should do the trick since the jacket is thicker than the Silvertip to help control expansion.

3. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Try www.georgia-arms.com. Their 158 grain Deer Stopper is very good. Was about the only handgun legal round a few years ago in Ga. Now, any centerfire with adjustable sights is legal! There will be jerks hunting with a 38, but it's legal now. Pretend you're bow hunting and the ranges will be fine with the 357. But you should be ok with Silver Tips.

4. tjpet

tjpet

Over the years I've never seen an expanding handgun bullet for a conventional revolver round work well under most field/hunting conditions.

I'd look for a 180grn. lead bullet load with a big, wide, flat meplat. These will penetrate from any angle and plow through like the proverbial knife-through-hot-butter. Plus, the wide nose transmits shock to a much greater degree

I handload so putting together a round that meets these specs is easy. Can't recall ever seeing a factory .357 one that does, though.

5. vafish

vafish

From Winchesters web site the .357 Mag Silvertips are 145 grs. at 1290 FPS and 535 FPE.

The Silvertips are designed for personal defense and to expand rapidly.

I've never hunted in North Dakota, but I grew up in Minnesota. The deer there are pretty good sized (compared to these little deer we have here in VA).

I'd prefer a little deeper penetrating round, like the 158 gr JHP, JSP, or the 180 gr partition gold. They all have about the same Muzzle energy as the Silvertip, just a bit better bullet design for deer hunting in my opinion.

6. muddydog

muddydog

without a doubt get a good 180gr load. cast if you can find it.

corbon, federal, hornandy..any quality load..with penetrating qualities.

the federal castcore line is a great contender.

you need some Ummphh...in the load.

7. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

I took a little doe about 65 lbs at 25-35 yards with a GP100 4" barrel. Open sights..I hit her in the left side just behind the shoulder and she ran past me and I hit her on the right side. she only ran another 30 yards. I know they were silver tips I want to say 145 grain....Small deer and close..

8. bachchoy

bachchoy Bond