close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

. 357 sig vs. 9mm for GSSF Matches

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lewprinting, May 14, 2006.

1. lewprinting

lewprinting

I'm a bit undecided about what I should do. Right now I have a G32- .357 sig. I bought a glock of that caliber because of the fantastic ballistics the .357 gives you. Great stopping power and a very flat trajectory at long ranges. Not to mention the fact that is is an awesomely reliable feeder partially due to it being a necked cartridge. Basically, I find it to be an outstanding self defense/combat round.

So here's my dilema. I'm going to be getting in to competition shooting. I'm going to the GSSF match in Topton, PA this year and I'm also looking into IDPA (which I think is more of my thing anyway). My thought is that in order to even have a chance of beeing competitive in either of those competitions, it would probably benefit me to go to a G17 in a 9 mm. The reduced recoil should enable me to fire subsequent shots faster and more accurately. I'm also the type of guy that believes that you should train with what you fight with. So if I did go to a G17 for competition I would probably want to use it for my CCW also. Of course I would be sacrificing some of that great .357 power. But I know you can get some pretty powerful ammo for the 9mm too (CorBon JHP, etc).

If I did get a G17, I would probably use CorBon JHPs for CCW and for competiton/practice I'm thinking of using Wolf ammo.

So, all that said, I guess the big question is this:

Would using a G17 in competition instead of my G32 benefit me enough to warrent buying one?

Keep in mind, I know lots of practicing is the largest factor in doing well in competitions. Right now I'm only talking equipment.

Any input you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmzneb

cmzneb

9mm is the way to go for competition. For GSSF I have been shooting my carry gun - G27 with reduced power reloads. (Feels like a 9mm)

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I don't feel that Wolf ammo is reilable enough for competition. I've seen too many problems with it at GSSF matches. Get Winchester USA 115-gr FMJ from your local Wal-mart. Hope to see you in Topton.

If you are comfortable with your G32 then you might consider a G19 over the G17. Whichever you shoot best, out to 25 yards, is best for you.

4. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

I had the same questions so to speak four years ago, and opted to shoot the carry caliber,I am now hooked on the GUN GAMES and shoot 9's and have straddled over to 10's as well for the future. Financially the 9's are the way to go.....there are alot of things you can do and I'm a better shooter for it.:supergrin:

See Ya at TOPTON.

5. Terminator

Terminator

While 357 Sig is a great self defense round with great ballistics its not very desireable for competition due to the sharp recoil. I concure with Coach, Festus, and CMZNEB, go with 9mm.

6. IMPALA SS

IMPALA SS

I agree, get a G17 for practice and matches . The ammo is cheaper and you get less recoil and mussle blast. Save the 357 sig for personal defense. The 357sig is similar to the 38 super in ballistics, it needs a comp to be good for compatition(not worth the aggravation and expence).

7. lewprinting

lewprinting

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've just ordered a G17 w/factory nightsights. I also decided that I'm going to give the walmart winchester 115 gr a try. I did a little research and you realy can't beat the price of the walmart stuff. I hope it runs well in my 17 when I get it.

Now all I need is a good self defence ammo for my new pistol. Perhaps something in a 9MM SABER GOLD SPEER MAGNUM FORCE DEATH +P++ ROUND. :laughabove:

Any Suggestions?

8. Terminator

Terminator

Theres about 20,000 rounds through mine and counting with no problems yet. Youll love it. See you at the Range :cool:

9. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

The GLOCK 17 is my choice for some competitions and a cost saver to boot. It will pay for itself in reduced ammo costs for practice and competition.

Nothing wrong with continuing to carry the G31 either. G17 trigger time is still good trigger time and a few boxes of .357 to keep current is a fair compromise.

10. Carlitos

Carlitos

Hi Mike. The 17 is a great choice; you can shoot it in Competition class too.

As for ammo, WWB is a good choice as is Blazer; when my team started out in GSSF in 2003, we were Team Blazer. Its accurate, reliable ammo for a good price.

If you mail order Federal Am Eagle 147, its good as well & has the most reliable primer whne it comes to competition triggers.

Even better is Black Box Atlanta Arms 147 grn JHP - but they don't sell it locally. Hard to obtain. It's Sevigny's ammo sponsor.

One thing that the G17 needs is sights; the stock sights really really suck. I use Ameriglo. Another option is Sevigny or Warren sights - or Heinie. You will never find a top shooter using the stock plastic sights - they really are that bad.

Most important of all though is GRIP. I just shot the Waldorf match & saw more crazy, *******ed-up grip styles than I could count. This makes a huge difference when there is a timer. Given enough time - hell, you can even hit stuff ONE handed if there is no timer (just ask the bullseye shooters) - but when time counts, the grip is critical. Most guys get it wrong. Here is a primer video:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33089&hl=

Good luck at your next GSSF shoot.

Regards,

D. Johnson

11. lewprinting

lewprinting

Lots of good info there. And the video was great. I found it so informative, in fact, that I saved it on my computer so I can view it whenever I want. I did know some of the stuff the video talked about but some of it was new to me too. As for the stuff I already knew...sometimes it's good to hear the same thing a couple of different ways. It's nice to view the same info from different angles. Very informative.

As for the sites, although I did a little bit of looking around as to what's out there, to include the ones you mentioned, I opted to go for the glock factory night sights due to the fact that the G17 will be my carry weapon as well. I LIKE THE NIGHT SIGHTS...I LIKE TO BOOGIE. :supergrin: I actually heard that the Glock "factory night sights" are not actually made by glock. I think they are made by Trijicon or one of those other companies that know what they're doing with sights.

Thanks again.