close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.357 SIG reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by fsqridah, Mar 26, 2010.

1. fsqridah

fsqridah

.357 SIG costs too much to shoot, period. So, I'm definitely gonna get into reloading. I've done some math on the casings, bullets, primers, and powder from Midway, and I can make the first 500 rounds for about $260 before shipping. That includes enough bullets and primers for 1,000 rounds, so adding in another couple of pounds of powder and reusing the 500 casings puts me at $280 or so for 1,000 rounds. Sure beats paying $600+ for 1,000 factory loaded rounds, and I can have my handloads with Rainier hollowpoints. Not that I need them for practice, but I like the idea of having hundreds of hollowpoints on hand in case the zombies come back. :supergrin:

Anyway, with my Chase rewards program, I'll have a $100 gift card to Cabelas very soon. I've been looking at the Lee Challenger kit ($100) and the Lee Annivesary kit ($110). I don't see much of a difference between the two, so I'd like advice on which to get. Also, what else should I throw in (like a digital powder measure?)? Please keep in mind I am not going for speed or super precise target/hunting loads. I want to safely load target ammo that will come fairly close to replicating my carry ammo in terms of recoil. Like said, 200+ rounds per hour is not important to me. I have no problem with spending a lot of time on the reloading process itself, but I want it done consistently and safely.

2. tjpet

tjpet

Get a Lee turret press w/auto indexing. Great for conventional pistol rounds. You can do 1-200 per hour without breaking a sweat. The indexing feature is easily disabled if you want to start slow and use the press in single stage mode while you're learning.

As to digital scales I've been using a PACT BBK for the last fifteen or so years with complete success. Cheap and very effective.

3. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

I would have started with a lee classic turret if I had done more research

4. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

5. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Does Lee now make carbide dies for the .357 Sig?

6. tjpet

tjpet

No. Simplest thing to do is run cases through a .40 carbide first, then a .357 Sig one next. An extra step but no lubing/wiping off lube afterwards.

7. fredj338

fredj338

All good thoughts. I can only add, if you do not want to pony up for Dillon carbide dies, go the 40carbide/357sig dies frome Lee, Redding or Hornady. DO NOT go RCBS, they got it wrong w/a two die set IMO. Be very careful w/ bullet selection, this makes or breaks good, reliable, safe 357sig ammo. You MUST use a truncated cone profile bullet for best results. BTW, depending on the powder you choose, 2# gets you well over 1000rds.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  8. fsqridah

fsqridah

Thanks for the help guys. How much am I looking at as far as a setup goes?

Also, what bullets would be good? I'm sticking to jacketed bullets for now so I don't have to get an aftermarket barrel for lead bullets.

9. YogiBearFan

YogiBearFan

+1 for full length sizing with the 40s&w die

I have done the same thing in my progressive for the 400corbon.

The other option would be to full length resize with a 40s&w die, then run it through the Redding sizer, then neck sizer. But, that is 3 sizing steps vs 2.

Bottle neck cartridges are a labor of love. :crying:

10. tjpet

tjpet

I've only loaded one bullet in the .357Sig and that's the Sierra 90grn.HP. Pretty easy to break 1600+fps through a 4.5" barrel with the right powder. Superbly accurate, flat shooting, and lethal on anything from jackrabbits to coyotes.

11. fredj338

fredj338

Bullets I have used succesfully:
    124gr Berry's FP & HP
    124gr Ranier FP & HP
    124grXTP
    147grXTP
    115gr Nosler JHP
    124gr Sierra JHP
    124gr Precision FP (black bullet)
    102gr Rem.GS
    88gr REm JHP