357 Sig Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Borg Warner, Jan 10, 2017.

1. STI

STI

In all my years in LE I carried a 38 spl backup, 357 mag m19 S&W, 1911 45 acp, m66 S&W 2-1/2" 357 mag and finally 357 Sig, never 1 time did I wonder about ammo types and the like there everyone I saw who was shot with a good shot placement went down same in the Army. I still don't have much concern on ammo types, Ranger T or Gold Dot is all I carry now as I can obtain it easily.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    fastbolt likes this.
  2. Roguebama

Roguebama

Lol! How embarrassing

3. Roguebama

Roguebama

So, for a Pistol and Caliber, what do you recommend?

4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

fortyofforty is no longer on this forum.

5. Roguebama

Roguebama

Understood. Thank you sir. My mistake on that

6. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

That's ok you aren't missing anything not getting feedback from him.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Roguebama likes this.
  7. unit1069

unit1069

If Glock ever steals a march on other quality gun makers and does offer a G-43 in that caliber I'd buy one in a New York Minute and sell all my other self-defense pistols.

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'd probably not hold my breath on that happening. It remains to be seen whether they'll even offer a spinoff model chambered in .40 S&W (even presuming they could, with some changes to strengthen the frame).

Even at the peak of interest in the .357SIG (meaning 10 years after its introduction) I was told by someone at Glock that they only produced 1 gun chambered in .357 for every 2500 guns produced, and that was when they were really interested in pushing it to LE.

The Shield 40 was a logical step after the Shield 9, but that's because the design of the frame includes the stainless steel sub-chassis molded inside it, which is further enhanced by being pinned to the steel sear/locking blocks at each end, essentially forming a steel box to lend strength to the frame and help mitigate the effects of recoil force on the polymer frame.

Alas, even S&W didn't see a market for the Shield to be offered in .357SIG. Due to lack of LE interest and sales they finally discontinued the caliber being offered as a regular production item in their standard M&P pistol (although I've been told they'd still make them for a LE order, if received). Just not enough market for a standard production offering. Not when the other calibers are selling strong and well.

You can keep your fingers crossed, though, and hope Glock decides to try and pull a rabbit out of its hat in figuring out how to try and make the G43 withstand the pounding of a .40, let alone a .357. ;)

Warp likes this.
  9. unit1069

unit1069

As an owner of an outstanding Steyr S9-A1 with similar design I can only cross my fingers as you suggest. But if that day comes when Steyr or some other top shelf manufacturer does decide to take a chance on this excellent caliber you'll know who one of the first purchasers is.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I just recently taken the plunge into 357 Sig after thinking about doing it for a few years now. Doesn't seem any harder to load for than anything else, just use a 40 S&W carbide sizing die for the first step then move to the 357 Sig sizing die for the neck/shoulder and there's no need for lubing the cases. I also use the Lee Factory Crimp Die as a final step to insure that the bullet won't set back. Really the only hard part is getting the bullets. They need to have a nice, flat nose to get the proper OAL of 1.140 or slightly shorter and you can't get that with a standard 9mm FMJ round nose bullet.
    With any luck I'll get out tomorrow and put some rounds down range in my new G31 and get some chrony data on velocity of factory Sig FMJ loads and my handloads to compare the two and also get some rounds on target to check accuracy. After I do that I can roll out a GunStreamer/YouTube video on the gun so folks can get a look at it.
    I'm afraid that if I end up really liking this cartridge that I'll have to sell my 45 Shield and buy a 40 Shield and a 357 Sig conversion barrel for it,LOL.
    I know for my Free Glock that we're getting at work with our Glock Points I'm getting a G33 to complete my pair of Glock 357 Sig handguns. I've been looking for a 9mm that'll give me a 124gr bullet at 1250fps and I've just not found that in the 9x19mm even at +P specs. I think I can easily get that out of the 357 Sig and even a bit more without having to push the cartridge to it's full potential. I really have high hopes for the 357 Sig.

11. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

all pros no cons. seriously.

Railsplitter likes this.
  12. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I refer to the 357 Sig as being the most versatile of the service calibers with no weak performance areas.

13. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

Agreed.

And for those who talk about the cost of ammo, Ammovalley.com sells (fantastic) reman range ammo for $287/1000. And if that's too expensive, then get a $125 40cal OEM barrel from Glock and shoot 40cal for just $198/1000. You'll pay for that barrel in less than 2000 rounds at the range.

and for recoil, I feel that my G32 has lighter recoil shooting 125 grain 357sig than 180 grain 40 cal. 357sig is louder, and I think that's why some think the recoil is more than it really is.

Poohgyrr and Toni77 like this.
  14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Good point, I have never heard that theory before but it seems only logical especially for shooters not used to shooting the 357 Sig.

I have always considered that the loud blast of the 357 Sig would have a significant psychological effect on someone who was hearing it while having the gun pointed at them and fired.

15. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

Ok, so I got out and shot my G31 and I totally love it. Recoil wasn't any more than a 9mm+P and the velocity numbers I got with both factory ammo and my handloads totally rocked. This is the 9mm cartridge I've been looking for. I'm definitely a fan.

16. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I have had a 357 Sig for 20 years. My next additions will be a 5.3 inch barrel for my G32 and some more Underwood goodness!

Poohgyrr likes this.
  17. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr Making lunch

Congratulations and welcome to the club!