357 Sig Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Borg Warner, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Big1

Big1

Sorry about that, have you or do you like the Underwood .357 Sig ammo?

Chordeiles likes this.
  2. Big1

Big1

This is guy is pretty good.

3. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

Yes. I've been buying ammo from Kevin Underwood for a couple of years now. I started out buying 45 super and was very happy with it. Since then I've tried his 10mm,40 s&w and 357 sig. I've chronographed all of these offerings and found them to be as advertised or faster. Excellent ammo! I love it!

4. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

Yeah I like his videos. His testing is why I bought my first HST ammo years ago in 40 s&w. After reading other reviews and doing my own redneck-backyard ballistics testing I made the HST my EDC.

Big1 and Glock40sw like this.
  5. greyeyezz

greyeyezz

This is generally true, but with a load that's favored by LE like the 124 gr +P Gold Dot you can pretty much bet the advertised velocities are fairly close as departments have strict requirements for a duty load. If it doesn't meet those requirements it is rejected and reclassified.

fortyofforty likes this.
  6. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

There are test barrels used by testing by ammunition companies. There are also test weapons used by police departments to select a duty load. But, to use the .40 S&W as an example, if the Glock 22 or Glock 35 are used to measure a round's velocity at the armory, but officers mostly carry Glock 27s, then any published or measured velocities are misleading at best. Load it up in your carry setup. Fire over the screens. And know.

Glock40sw likes this.
  7. wagsfn

wagsfn

Nice video indeed. I shoot the 357 Sig out of my G33 mainly using Speer Gold Dot JHP 125 gr, or Speer TMJ 125gr. I do like Federal products but have never tried any in 357 Sig. I will next time I see it for sale.

Big1 and Glock40sw like this.
  8. dpadams6

dpadams6

Short of, maybe a select few inside officers, department uniform officers are not carrying sub compact pistols. Everyone is usually carrying the full size and maybe a sub compact as a back up pistol. Some of the non uniform guys may carry the sub compact, but they are the very small minority of a police department.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

And yet one round is forced upon all of them. Are you saying what the performance level is out of subcompacts is irrelevant? I'd wager that more officers are carrying compacts and subcompact off duty than full size pistols. Are they not worthy of the best rounds available? I know of a few officers who carry full size pistols when on duty, and nothing off duty because they don't want to carry the full size pistol and refuse to buy a subcompact. That's no solution, either.

10. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. Big1

Big1

I love my .357 Sig out of my G27/33 and G23/32 ammo is not a problem for me.

Poohgyrr likes this.
  12. fredj338

fredj338

To be good with your chosen carry gun you need to practice with it. This is where blast & recoil comes into play. Both affect accuracy, the amount will depend on your skill level. Agree, in a fight both are diminished, but again, this will be based on several factors, diff for all of us.

13. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

:wow: Are you being serious now?

14. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

15. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

A bit touchy, aren't we? The point is that if you are passionately in love with a caliber that relies on velocity for its entire raison d'être, and you remove that velocity, you are left with a less effective caliber. How much less effective is up to each person to decide for himself, unless forced to use that round by department policy. No matter how short the barrel, you never lose diameter, and a .45 will always be a .45. Simple enough for you? If you need reading help, try your local library. They probably have a children's section.

16. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

17. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

I said it before. I'll say it again. It's a good round for self-defense. It's a handgun round. If you believe in magic bullets, you're delusional. Amazing how what appears abstruse to the ignorant is quite clear to those with critical thinking skills. Carry what you like. Shoot what you want.

fredj338 likes this.
  18. eclayton

eclayton

deleted

19. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Of course you don't need my permission. You're a big boy. You can decide for yourself. And if you need to believe you're carrying something magical, so be it. People believe what they need to believe, and can even try to convince other people magic is real. :cheerleader:

20. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Most LEA that carry the 357 Sig carry full sized guns. Civilians that carry short barrel have Buffalo Bore or Underwood ammo which both provide more than adequate velocity out of any length barrel. Short barrel or not may the power be with you!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017