GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
.357 SIG is my favorite cartridge for a carry pistol. I don't really get the issue with blast and recoil. In terms of both, my G31 is an absolute *****cat compared to any .357 Mag revolver I've ever shot with comparable loads. It is accurate and fun to shoot. It matches the ballistics of the .357 Mag 125gr JHP and my G31 holds more rounds that two .357 revolvers put together. I only regret it took me 45+ years of my life to give .357 SIG a try and discover how awesome it is.

I wouldn't choose to shoot .357 without ear protection if I didn't have to, but I'm not the least bit worried about distraction from blast or flash in a fight. In past experience I didn't even notice that stuff while I was keyed up on adrenaline. Later when things were calm I noticed my ears ringing and realized that I had a splitting headache. I do have some permanent hearing loss but that was unimportant compared to the need to take care of business at the time.
As I have stated before the 357 Sig was not made for the masses, it was made for law enforcement use back before being PC was an issue. It was designed to take care of business, not to be a range powder puff that everyone likes to shoot. The 357 Sig is the best all around SD caliber as well as the most versatile. It isn't for everyone but for those who want the best it will always be there.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
In 2003 I stood about 50 feet away from an M1A1 Abrams tank that fired maybe 20-30 rounds from its 120mm main gun. On a normal training range you would feel that blast almost lift you off your feet. In combat I did not notice it at all and I wasn't even aware that a tank had been shooting that close to us. I was too freaking busy with my own tasks. I only learned about the tank hours later when I mentioned what a horrible headache I had and someone said it was probably because a tank had been shooting right behind us.
How is your hearing these days? Any tinnitus?

·
Registered
474 Posts
The 357 sig is my EDC now that ammo is a little cheaper and more available than a few years back. I love shooting it at the range and now that I can afford to shoot it more often l can shoot it just as good as I can my 19.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
The 357 sig is my EDC now that ammo is a little cheaper and more available than a few years back. I love shooting it at the range and now that I can afford to shoot it more often l can shoot it just as good as I can my 19.
The shot speed difference between the 357 Sig and other calibers is so small it is insignificant as far as SD effectiveness is concerned. Also shot speed is over rated as far as a SD issue, focus on shot speed is best left to competition and range.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I chronographed the PPU ammo mentioned on page 1. Three shot average was 1335 fps from a G23/32. It is some of the hottest range ammo you can get but nowhere near as fast as they claim. For the price, I'm not complaining though.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Yes, and it's incredible that massammo.com is practically giving away Speer 125-grain Gold Dot 54234 ammo at a price lower than the cheapest FMJ range ammo.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
The 357 sig produces some impressive ballistics but it does so at the cost of high pressures and increased muzzle blast. I got a LW 357 sig barrel for my Gen 2 G23 and bought some relatively inexpensive 125 grain FMJ PPU (Privi Partisan, Made in Serbia) and the first time I shot it I tried the gun first with the 40 caliber ammo, (Speer Lawman 180 gr FMJ) and then swapped barrels and tried the 357 sig ammo. The 357 Sig appeared to have a little sharper recoil than the 40 and there was noticeably more muzzle blast.

I later found out that the PPU ammo is loaded very hot and is rated at 1542 FPS while most 357 sig 125 grain ammo is loaded to 1350 fps. The Cor-bon 125 grain JHP ammo is loaded to 1525 fps. I haven't tried reloading for it yet but I suspect that it may be difficult to safely approach those top velocities. I also found out that the 357 sig operates at a higher chamber pressure than 9mm or 40 S&W, 40,000 PSI for the Sig vs. 35,000 for the 9 and the .40.

My thinking is that this round is probably optimum for concealed carry in something like a G32 but I'd like it even better in the single-stack G43. But for home defense it's got too much muzzle blast to be shooting indoors in close quarters in a stress situation with no hearing protection.
The Corbon 125gr JHP has an advertised velocity of 1425 fps not 1525 fps. The 1425 fps velocity and old school JHP Corbon bullet makes this round almost identical in power and performance to the classic 357 Magnum round. Underwood takes the 357 Sig to another level, their 125gr rounds achieve an actual 1500+ fps velocity this includes their 125gr FMJ offering. Back at one time Federal loaded their 357 Sig HST law enforcement ammo to a velocity equal to the Corbon load that being around 1425 fps. I have a few boxes of this hot HST ammo which along with Underwood and Corbon JHP ammo are my three carry loads.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The Corbon 125gr JHP has an advertised velocity of 1425 fps not 1525 fps. The 1425 fps velocity and old school JHP Corbon bullet makes this round almost identical in power and performance to the classic 357 Magnum round. Underwood takes the 357 Sig to another level, their 125gr rounds achieve an actual 1500+ fps velocity this includes their 125gr FMJ offering. Back at one time Federal loaded their 357 Sig HST law enforcement ammo to a velocity equal to the Corbon load that being around 1425 fps. I have a few boxes of this hot HST ammo which along with Underwood and Corbon JHP ammo are my three carry loads.
I would looooove to have some 357 sig HST! Did they quit producing this? I had a chance to get the watered down version at 1360 fps. I regret not buying it now, can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I would looooove to have some 357 sig HST! Did they quit producing this? I had a chance to get the watered down version at 1360 fps. I regret not buying it now, can't find it anywhere.
I just did a quick search and didn't see any HST? I have not looked for it for a while and did not realize it was getting hard to find. Could be Federal is due to make another run, who knows.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
Until you've used a chronograph, you don't have any clue as to what velocity you're actually getting from your carry choice. What's written on the box is so far from reality it should be criminal. People are being sold one thing that's really another. Of course, all handgun rounds are "adequate" so whether a hundred or more feet per second difference matter in the real world is subject to debate. As it is here.

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
My carry loads chronograph within 50fps and average slightly higher than what is on the box. 125gr at 1450 fps, just the way I like it. Box says 1425. Manufacturer may have used a shorter test barrel.

It's up to every individual to decide how fast is fast enough, but all else being equal (identical bullet, same weight, etc), I've never seen a cogent explanation for how slower is better. There are many types of inelastic collision that happen in everyday life, but terminal handgun ballistics is the only context I've ever come across where some parties will argue with a straight face that the relative velocity of projectile and target is immaterial. It usually sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Long story short, I'm happy with my 357 SIG.
Because a slower bullet tends to expand more slowly in tissue, leading to deeper penetration. It's quite simple and perfectly logical. That's what the FBI found during tests of the .40 S&W.

Reactions: Glock40sw

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
All I have ever shot was factory, it did very well with the older Cor-Bon being the best but I only had a small supply of it, then went with issued Gold Dots and then to Ranger T which is in my 32 now, they all work very well, at 1 time Blazer loaded it and that was good stuff and quite warm. I guess I should think of reloading for it as I do everything else just never have.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts