GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I was out with a bunch of guys shooting and had a 30 carbine Blackhawk which is even louder than a 357 mag. We took our earplugs out and were talking when one of the guys kicked a 5 gallon can down the hill where we were standing and we all drew our guns and fired at it, without first putting in our ear protection.

I immediately lost 95% of my hearing and couldn't hear what my friends were saying. I began to feel sick to my stomach and somewhat disoriented and couldn't hear anything for about two hours and then my hearing started coming back, but I had ringing in my ears for the rest of the day. The other gushy were OK because they were firing a 45 Colt and a 45 Auto. That was about 30 years ago and today I wear hearing aids.

Oh and that barrel we rolled down the hill? We went down and got it and took all our trash with us. Too many people fail to do this and public areas where you can shoot keep getting closed down because of it.
True the 357 Sig can put a ringin on your ears but I imagine it would be a real b.... for the BG standing 2 or 3 yards in front of the blast! My G32 and ears sit side by side on my night stand, that way when the officer ask me why I shot the guy I'll be able to hear him.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Were you defending your life? Or just thought it'd be cool to fire a round without protection. There is a difference, I've been in LE many years and have discharged numerous calibers over the years in the line of duty and I NEVER heard the report or saw flash or felt fecoil. These things worry those that have never had to defend ones life, period.
It seems that some are affected by gun discharges more than others and surroundings are never the same but bottom line when a gun is fired for self defense everything else is secondary.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I've got a G22 w/conversion barrel and run 90gr. slugs close to 1700fps. What this load does to varmints up to coyote size is incredible. It's literally inside/out.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Hornady and Sierra both offer them as components for reloading.

Reactions: Glock40sw

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I've got a G22 w/conversion barrel and run 90gr. slugs close to 1700fps. What this load does to varmints up to coyote size is incredible. It's literally inside/out.
That must be the rifle velocity I hear about.

I did some testing and shot a 131 PC cast
boolit at 1670 fps in a six inch LW conversion
barrel for the g20, 800x powder. Everything
looked fine, it was my third load and the hottest
used, under an inch at 34 yards for three shots.

All three loads shot good but the faster I went
the better they shot, one day I will start it up
again, also used some 163 boolits too.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The coyotes (2) I shot with my 32 had a small entrance and a half dollar exit and went down instantly Ranger T 125 a large snapping turtle was eating a bass from my posn and he just exploded at about 15 yds same ammo. I did not have time for ear protection. The only time in my LE life we used ear protection was at the range and at all matches.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The sig is my "rifle-pistol", fast with most, slow with none.

Pros:
From a 6" tube, loaded long @ 1.260" 125gr 357 mag bullets over a heavy charge of longshot clocked 1730fps, 180s have been worked up to 1350fps with blue dot in my g20. All have been accurate, recoil from the big long slide is soft even at max loads.

Cons:
I chase my sig brass like I do with 10mm brass which makes for more tedious range sessions.

·
Registered
34,794 Posts
Cons:
I chase my sig brass like I do with 10mm brass which makes for more tedious range sessions.
Once fired 357sig is pretty cheap. Not so much with 10mm. I hunt all my 10mm like they are 25c pieces, they almost are.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just picked up a gen 4 G32 and I must say I am thouroughly impressed. I waited years to buy this gun because of how many reviews I read about horrible recoil. Now I'm not sure why but I took both the 32 and my G19 out today to shoot side by side and shot the G32 better than the G19. I am glad I bought the G32 and wish I had bought it sooner. I don't find the recoil to be unmanageable at all and for the gain you get in ballistics it is worth it. I was going to use my G19 for cow but I think I have to use the G32 after shooting the two side by side.

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
I was going to use my G19 for cow but I think I have to use the G32 after shooting the two side by side.
Well, be careful. Unless you have a tag, you can get in trouble for shooting cow.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I just picked up a gen 4 G32 and I must say I am thouroughly impressed. I waited years to buy this gun because of how many reviews I read about horrible recoil. Now I'm not sure why but I took both the 32 and my G19 out today to shoot side by side and shot the G32 better than the G19. I am glad I bought the G32 and wish I had bought it sooner. I don't find the recoil to be unmanageable at all and for the gain you get in ballistics it is worth it. I was going to use my G19 for cow but I think I have to use the G32 after shooting the two side by side.
Congratulations on your choice of the 357 Sig, you have "seen the light" of caliber performance and will never go back. Hank Williams once stated how you must be feeling!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The 357 sig produces some impressive ballistics but it does so at the cost of high pressures and increased muzzle blast. I got a LW 357 sig barrel for my Gen 2 G23 and bought some relatively inexpensive 125 grain FMJ PPU (Privi Partisan, Made in Serbia) and the first time I shot it I tried the gun first with the 40 caliber ammo, (Speer Lawman 180 gr FMJ) and then swapped barrels and tried the 357 sig ammo. The 357 Sig appeared to have a little sharper recoil than the 40 and there was noticeably more muzzle blast.

I later found out that the PPU ammo is loaded very hot and is rated at 1542 FPS while most 357 sig 125 grain ammo is loaded to 1350 fps. The Cor-bon 125 grain JHP ammo is loaded to 1525 fps. I haven't tried reloading for it yet but I suspect that it may be difficult to safely approach those top velocities. I also found out that the 357 sig operates at a higher chamber pressure than 9mm or 40 S&W, 40,000 PSI for the Sig vs. 35,000 for the 9 and the .40.

My thinking is that this round is probably optimum for concealed carry in something like a G32 but I'd like it even better in the single-stack G43. But for home defense it's got too much muzzle blast to be shooting indoors in close quarters in a stress situation with no hearing protection.
try shooting it in a Sig 226/229...the Sig tames it very well. More so then the glock

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Free Full Clip!
17,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Interesting topic, I'm looking at buying a .357 sig gun in the near future. From the research I've done, it seems that ammo cost is higher and hand loading is a little trickier... anyone here, that has a .357 sig gun, not happy with their purchase? if so why??
Handloading is indeed trickier but it isn't rocket surgery. The only really critical thing is bullet profile and seating depth. The 357 Sig uses .355 diameter projectiles, same as the 9mm, but not the same as the 357 magnum. But you can't use bullets designed for the 9mm in the 357 sig loaded to an OAL (Over all Length) that will function in the gun because it will end up being seated too deep and boost pressures, which are already right at the ragged edge of maximum.

Even though I've been reloading for many years, (since 1968) and know the limitations of the cartridge, I would not try to approach maximum loads in the 357 sig. I would load something that came close to maximum for my practice ammo, but stick to factory loads for my carry ammo and would practice with those on occasion. An if Speer gold dots weren't enough for me, there's higher velocity specialty ammo.

But I just found a deal today on range brass for the 357 Sig. How's this sound? 357 SIG 1x fired brass, Mixed Head-Stamps, 55 Gallon Drum of approximately 60,000+ casings.

Our Price:$3300.00 Our 55 Gallon drums are shipped by a carrier of the buyer's choice (price shown does not include shipping). Deeper Discount for multiple drum orders may apply.

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
Nice catch forty. Auto correct got me there.
No worries, just fooling around. I actually had to check to make sure there aren't places in the country where "cow" is the abbreviation for some concealed carry permit. The .357 SIG will serve you well, I'm sure.

Reactions: Glock40sw

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I like shooting 357Sig' but if you want muzzle blast, try a 357Max out of 10" Contender or .223 out of a 12" Contender. I used to save those for when someone shot 357Sig next to me at an indoor range. Now I could be one of them; except I save the 357Sig for the outdoor range. Much easier on everyone involved.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Once fired 357sig is pretty cheap. Not so much with 10mm. I hunt all my 10mm like they are 25c pieces, they almost are.
Diamond K brass has used 10mm brass mixed headstamps, (some cases may be nickel) for $15.00 per 100 $75.00 per 500. They have every kind of brass imaginable including 4.6 HK, 5.7 FN and 30 Tokerev, 25 acp, and even 55 gallon drums of 357 sig (66,000 rounds) for $3300.00 dollars. You pay shipping.

·
Making lunch
1,002 Posts
Paper ballistics are only part of the story. Street reports indicate dynamic stops much sooner than other standard pistol rounds.

And it's easy to keep a set of electronic ears for any need inside home.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts