GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have shot IDPA with full house 357Sig, carry daily, night stand, it is my go to for all an indoor IDPA 3 of us went with issued Gold Dots and Ranger T, that was something to see in the low light stages. Some of the older ammo sure did seem much stronger though. At 1 time Blazer loaded it, that was hot stuff. I have never reloaded it all I have shot is factory Gold Dot - Ranger T - Blazer - Cor Bon all of which have been excellent.
We had an exercise and shot through some airline seats with the Ranger T and it did great as well as the G Dot. It all works well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The most inherently accurate round I've ever fired. My rattley CPO SIG P229R is on par with "target" 1911s costing 5x as much.

If you have an internet connection, ammunition purchasing is a non issue. A box of top tier self defense rounds is on par .40 or .45 ACP if you spend two minutes shopping. FMJs routinely had for under $20 a box if you know where to buy.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Still #1 here for all daily carry, if I do expect to shoot very many rounds in daily activities I do carry a 9 or 45 sometimes both my 357 and another. Rarely I make my feeding rounds without firing a shot. Just me here but almost or never have I seen anyone with a 357 SIG shooting that was not or had not been connected with LE.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Blast is a nonissue , if the wep is used for real no blast will be heard and you will not see any flash. Just BS alot of folks worry about for no reason.
Ever fired a 357sig indoors without ears? I have. I lost 100% of my hearing for a good 30 seconds. That can be an issue. Why I downgraded to 9mm for indoors.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The 357 sig produces some impressive ballistics but it does so at the cost of high pressures and increased muzzle blast. I got a LW 357 sig barrel for my Gen 2 G23 and bought some relatively inexpensive 125 grain FMJ PPU (Privi Partisan, Made in Serbia) and the first time I shot it I tried the gun first with the 40 caliber ammo, (Speer Lawman 180 gr FMJ) and then swapped barrels and tried the 357 sig ammo. The 357 Sig appeared to have a little sharper recoil than the 40 and there was noticeably more muzzle blast.

I later found out that the PPU ammo is loaded very hot and is rated at 1542 FPS while most 357 sig 125 grain ammo is loaded to 1350 fps. The Cor-bon 125 grain JHP ammo is loaded to 1525 fps. I haven't tried reloading for it yet but I suspect that it may be difficult to safely approach those top velocities. I also found out that the 357 sig operates at a higher chamber pressure than 9mm or 40 S&W, 40,000 PSI for the Sig vs. 35,000 for the 9 and the .40.

My thinking is that this round is probably optimum for concealed carry in something like a G32 but I'd like it even better in the single-stack G43. But for home defense it's got too much muzzle blast to be shooting indoors in close quarters in a stress situation with no hearing protection.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The 357 sig produces some impressive ballistics but it does so at the cost of high pressures and increased muzzle blast. I got a LW 357 sig barrel for my Gen 2 G23 and bought some relatively inexpensive 125 grain FMJ PPU (Privi Partisan, Made in Serbia) and the first time I shot it I tried the gun first with the 40 caliber ammo, (Speer Lawman 180 gr FMJ) and then swapped barrels and tried the 357 sig ammo. The 357 Sig appeared to have a little sharper recoil than the 40 and there was noticeably more muzzle blast.

I later found out that the PPU ammo is loaded very hot and is rated at 1542 FPS while most 357 sig 125 grain ammo is loaded to 1350 fps. The Cor-bon 125 grain JHP ammo is loaded to 1525 fps. I haven't tried reloading for it yet but I suspect that it may be difficult to safely approach those top velocities. I also found out that the 357 sig operates at a higher chamber pressure than 9mm or 40 S&W, 40,000 PSI for the Sig vs. 35,000 for the 9 and the .40.

My thinking is that this round is probably optimum for concealed carry in something like a G32 but I'd like it even better in the single-stack G43. But for home defense it's got too much muzzle blast to be shooting indoors in close quarters in a stress situation with no hearing protection.
I reload for the 357 sig. using longshot powder, a 23 with lone wolf barrel & 124 hornady HPs averages 1440. that's not a maximum charge of longshot I am using. you really save a lot reloading 357 sig compared to say reloading 9mm.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My wife's agency and the local PD carry Sig P229's chambered in .357 Sig. I have spoken with a few of them and they all spoke highly of their confidence in the round in their duty weapon. My former agency and their local PD switched from Sig P220's in .45 acp some years ago and now carry G17's (PD) or G23 (Sheriff's) and also seem happy with them. I personally did not care for the .40, as most of my experience was with either .45 acp or .357 Magnum revolvers.

·
Registered
27,127 Posts
Pro's & Con's of .357SIG?

Still seemingly pretty much the same as they've been since its introduction ...

Pro's:

Faster velocity than many 9mm loads, for similar bullet weight, including the established +P & +P+ loads, but with the major loads from the big ammo makers usually falling a bit short of the originally advertised 1450fps (and sometimes by as much as 100-150fps).

Some owners/shooters report they obtain easier, better practical accuracy.

Con's:

Increased muzzle blast.

Short neck to hold bullet in case mouth.

Potential for increased and/or accelerated wear & tear on the guns.

Inconsistency in availability of the ammunition, combined with cost issues.

Not one of the "Big 3" of service/duty calibers, so interest seems allocated more to the private buyer/shooter.

This is one of those issues where "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", though, so it's really up to each individual to assign the meanings and relevance of any "pro & con" considerations as he/she feels it's appropriate. No biggie.

I don't know may cops in this part of the West Coast who carry the .357SIG (aside from one county agency), and I only personally know one cop who used one in a shooting (2 shots fired at close range to stop armed suspect), and he doesn't carry it anymore (preferring 9, .357 Magnum, 45 ACP and even .38 Spl).

This is the sort of situation where folks who can choose for themselves, meaning private owners, only really need to satisfy themselves. The caliber will remain around for many years, no doubt. ;)

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,417 Posts
I definitely like the 357 SIG. It's a good application for self defense and what surprised me the most is the numbers you can achieve with it if you load your own. I have two slightly extended KKM barrels, a 4.5" for my G23 and a 5" for my G22. I've loaded warm .40 S&W for quite a while so I had always wanted to see what the 357 SIG can do with one caveat, using actual .357" bullets, not .355".

From the 4.5" barrel:
Factory 125gr Speer Gold Dot's averaged 1373 fps
Handloads (won't past charges here):
125gr XTP @ 1.140" = 1,618 AVG - 37.42 ES - 26.17 SD
140gr XTP @ 1.140" = 1,456 AVG - 30.84 ES - 21.93 SD
158gr XTP @ 1.140" = 1,388 AVG - 8.12 ES - 5.65 SD

Needless to say, I was impressed!

As for any cons, it's not as abundant as 9mm, .40 and .45 and from a reloading perspective, it's not hard to reload for but there are a few extra steps taken because it's a bottleneck cartridge.

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
Ever fired a 357sig indoors without ears? I have. I lost 100% of my hearing for a good 30 seconds. That can be an issue. Why I downgraded to 9mm for indoors.
Why on earth would you fire any gun indoors without hearing protection?

You're not implying that one can safeguard one's hearing shooting 9mm indoors without protection, are you?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Were you defending your life? Or just thought it'd be cool to fire a round without protection. There is a difference, I've been in LE many years and have discharged numerous calibers over the years in the line of duty and I NEVER heard the report or saw flash or felt fecoil. These things worry those that have never had to defend ones life, period.

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
Why on earth would you fire any gun indoors without hearing protection?

You're not implying that one can safeguard one's hearing shooting 9mm indoors without protection, are you?
I don't know. I can't think of a situation where I'd need to do that in real life.
Maybe at night. In your house. Unless you sleep wearing earplugs.

Were you defending your life? Or just thought it'd be cool to fire a round without protection. There is a difference, I've been in LE many years and have discharged numerous calibers over the years in the line of duty and I NEVER heard the report or saw flash or felt fecoil. These things worry those that have never had to defend ones life, period.
I've seen both situations. Times when the report wasn't really noticed. And times when hearing was damaged. Try short barrel 5.56 carbines indoors. Permanent hearing loss is often the result. .357 SIGs aren't as loud, but they are certainly louder than 9mm or .45 ACP.

Reactions: Glock40sw

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
Maybe at night. In your house. Unless you sleep wearing earplugs. (Discharging a weapon indoors without hearing protection)
Sure, if under dire threat I assume 99.9% or more defenders don't have hearing protection when they fire their weapons, but to do so indoors (or even outdoors) when under no such threat is begging for hearing damage.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Not my plinking pistol but for anything serious it is #1. Never let me down, I was pleasantly surprised just how much penetration they have, never saw a car door shot but they sure will go completely through an Airline seat and take out a target behind it and all the metal in it. That was Ranger T ammo.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
...I later found out that the PPU ammo is loaded very hot and is rated at 1542 FPS while most 357 sig 125 grain ammo is loaded to 1350 fps...
1350 as per PPU.

The 357Sig shines as a field round.

5.3" LWD Bbl. for the G23.4, and S&B 140 gr. FP or HDY 147 gr. XTP.

1300 fps+ MV and 550 lb-ft+ ME.

Flat shooting, and 9mm point-blank performance at 100 yards.

Nutter

·
Banned
12,667 Posts
Sure, if under dire threat I assume 99.9% or more defenders don't have hearing protection when they fire their weapons, but to do so indoors (or even outdoors) when under no such threat is begging for hearing damage.
Absolutely. Although many police officers find themselves in such situations, as well. Not pleasant. Even outdoors, it is damaging to hearing.

Reactions: Glock40sw

·
Free Full Clip!
17,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was out with a bunch of guys shooting and had a 30 carbine Blackhawk which is even louder than a 357 mag. We took our earplugs out and were talking when one of the guys kicked a 5 gallon can down the hill where we were standing and we all drew our guns and fired at it, without first putting in our ear protection.

I immediately lost 95% of my hearing and couldn't hear what my friends were saying. I began to feel sick to my stomach and somewhat disoriented and couldn't hear anything for about two hours and then my hearing started coming back, but I had ringing in my ears for the rest of the day. The other gushy were OK because they were firing a 45 Colt and a 45 Auto. That was about 30 years ago and today I wear hearing aids.

Oh and that barrel we rolled down the hill? We went down and got it and took all our trash with us. Too many people fail to do this and public areas where you can shoot keep getting closed down because of it.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts