GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Free Full Clip!
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 357 sig produces some impressive ballistics but it does so at the cost of high pressures and increased muzzle blast. I got a LW 357 sig barrel for my Gen 2 G23 and bought some relatively inexpensive 125 grain FMJ PPU (Privi Partisan, Made in Serbia) and the first time I shot it I tried the gun first with the 40 caliber ammo, (Speer Lawman 180 gr FMJ) and then swapped barrels and tried the 357 sig ammo. The 357 Sig appeared to have a little sharper recoil than the 40 and there was noticeably more muzzle blast.

I later found out that the PPU ammo is loaded very hot and is rated at 1542 FPS while most 357 sig 125 grain ammo is loaded to 1350 fps. The Cor-bon 125 grain JHP ammo is loaded to 1525 fps. I haven't tried reloading for it yet but I suspect that it may be difficult to safely approach those top velocities. I also found out that the 357 sig operates at a higher chamber pressure than 9mm or 40 S&W, 40,000 PSI for the Sig vs. 35,000 for the 9 and the .40.

My thinking is that this round is probably optimum for concealed carry in something like a G32 but I'd like it even better in the single-stack G43. But for home defense it's got too much muzzle blast to be shooting indoors in close quarters in a stress situation with no hearing protection.

·
Don't Jump!
4,257 Posts
Good to know about PPU, I am going to get some. Most commercial 357 Sig ammo is pretty mild.

My gen 2 G23 (circa 1994) was not certified to shoot 357 Sig.

I like the 357 Sig. It's a laser beam out of a Sig 226. It's my woods/bear caliber.
Pro: Accurate, powerful, easy to find, easy to shoot
Con: Expensive, may cause more wear on the firearm.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
I would take the ppu velocity claims woth a grain of salt. They dont say what bbl length they get that from. It is likely closer to 1450fos, still plenty hot i a 4" service gun. I personnaly think actual recoil feels slightly less than the 155gr 40 service loads. Blast is fierce, but if you are a beliver in the 125gr 357mag load, you get it in a very compact, shootable platform.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
I thought about getting a conversion barrel for my gen4 G23, but probably won't if I need to be concerned about the higher pressure. I thought about getting one for my G20, but don't see the point. If I can shoot 10mm, why bother with .357 sig?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I like the horsepower but muzzle blast is fierce as is stout loads in a .357 magnum wheel gun. for indoors I prefer a .45.
Check hornady ammo. I think their .357 Sig ammo is only slightly hotter than their 9mm+p

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
I thought about getting a conversion barrel for my gen4 G23, but probably won't if I need to be concerned about the higher pressure. I thought about getting one for my G20, but don't see the point. If I can shoot 10mm, why bother with .357 sig?
There is really no higher pressure issue. 9mm+p, 357sig, 40 all run about the same.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have been carrying my 2Gen 32 for a lot of years never any problem at all and all factory ammo shot in it I can attest to 2000+ rounds 90% all Ranger T GI or Gold Dot 125's with some Cor-Bon , the best shooting Glock I have shot, I carry it daily and continue to do so. Don't plan to change.

FYI don't shoot one in an underground sewer at a rat, 1 time was enough.
I had 2 1 shot kills on a coyote at 75+ yds with it holding on the top of back.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,379 Posts
I have a G33, and since I got it, I have acquired a Sig P239 and a Smith M&P 40 to which I have added a .357 Sig barrel. I LOVE the muzzle blast! If I can't hit them, I can sure singe them a bit, and pretty much blind them. As far as for indoors, I don't mind my ears ringing for awhile, seeing as how it will probably only take one or two well-placed shots.

Just my fiftieth-part-of-a-dollar. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
I have a G33, and since I got it, I have acquired a Sig P239 and a Smith M&P 40 to which I have added a .357 Sig barrel. I LOVE the muzzle blast! If I can't hit them, I can sure singe them a bit, and pretty much blind them. As far as for indoors, I don't mind my ears ringing for awhile, seeing as how it will probably only take one or two well-placed shots.

Just my fiftieth-part-of-a-dollar. Your mileage may vary.
I love my P239, most accurate small gun I own. Though I am not a huge fan of the blast as I get older.

Reactions: Glock40sw

·
Supreme Member
3,635 Posts
I would take the ppu velocity claims woth a grain of salt. They dont say what bbl length they get that from.
The Prvi Partizan website says their 357 SIG is 470 meters/sec (1542 fps) from a 150mm (5.9") barrel.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
The Prvi Partizan website says their 357 SIG is 470 meters/sec (1542 fps) from a 150mm (5.9") barrel.
Yeah I couldn' find the bbl length. So even if you want to believe ANY manuf vel numbers, subtract another 100fps for a 4" service bbl, 1450fps. Anything around 1400fps is about "normal" for 357sig in 4" guns.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
This is what I got in two guns with the 357sig,

new 124gr UW 357sig with nosler bullets
4.6''LW barrel in a G27 and a 6'' LW barrel in a G20
1526fps no jams,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1604fps no jams, both
ten shots

Have shot a box of this but have not chronoed it, it
is a super good deal,

https://massammo.com/sperr-gold-dot-357-sig-125gr-gdhp-flat-rate-shipping.html

Technical:

• Manufacture: Speer
  • Item #: 54234
  • Caliber: .357 Sig
  • Grains: 125
  • Type: Hollow Point
  • Rounds Per Box: 50
  • Casing: Nickel-Plated
Ballistics:

• Muzzle velocity: 1350 fps
  • Muzzle energy: 506 ft lbs.
Don't know what barrel length they used.

I did get 1200 rounds of it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Blast is a nonissue , if the wep is used for real no blast will be heard and you will not see any flash. Just BS alot of folks worry about for no reason. I carry a 32 every single day, I've shot alot of 357s magnum and SIG. Never once has either of those things bothered me. The 357 is a solid self defense choice over looked by many.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
For me this whole muzzle blast, flash and concussion thingy is bizarre.​
I enjoy and carry guns in both calibers(357 & 40).

357 Sig tends to be more expensive and harder to find.
357 Sig seems to perform slightly better through cover and on the street.
The Secret Service and Air Marshals continue to carry 357 Sig.

Admittedly, if you go full pressure (1,457 fps), 357 Sig can be a handful.
But that's Magnum Force, and who wants to argue with that?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Interesting topic, I'm looking at buying a .357 sig gun in the near future. From the research I've done, it seems that ammo cost is higher and hand loading is a little trickier... anyone here, that has a .357 sig gun, not happy with their purchase? if so why??

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I carry a 33 when I go to town . I seldom go to town . Not worried about the ammo cost , but it is a bunch higher . I also have a 32C and a couple 357 converversion barrels . I carry a pocket 9 mm a bunch around the place and for quick local trips . Anything is better than nothing so I just slide the 9 in the pocket .

I also have a 9 mm Glock 19 on the nightstand For the house ,I just figured it might not be quite as loud or have as much muzzle flash if fired in the house . I am sure it will still be loud and bright but that is my logic .

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Blast is a nonissue , if the wep is used for real no blast will be heard and you will not see any flash. Just BS alot of folks worry about for no reason. I carry a 32 every single day, I've shot alot of 357s magnum and SIG. Never once has either of those things bothered me. The 357 is a solid self defense choice over looked by many.
Agree, people seem to repeatedly confuse the range with the street. If you carry a gun for SD you don't complain about recoil or blast, if you use your gun for range and fun then recoil and blast can detract from the experience. It's just a matter of what your priorities are and not getting confused.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
For me this whole muzzle blast, flash and concussion thingy is bizarre.​
I enjoy and carry guns in both calibers.

357 Sig tends to be more expensive and harder to find.
357 Sig seems to perform slightly better through cover and on the street.
The Secret Service and Air Marshals continue to carry 357 Sig.

Admittedly, if you go full pressure (1,457 fps), 357 Sig can be a handful.
But that's Magnum Force, and who wants to argue with that?
Agree, when you look up and see someone coming around the back of your car with a butcher knife in their hand Magnum Force will be your friend arguments will not be heard.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts