close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.357 Sig or .45 ACP Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by J.Bourne, Jul 11, 2002.

1. J.Bourne

J.Bourne Damaged Goods

Hey all: My standard carry sidearm here in lovely MI is my G23. I'd like to supplement my arsenal, however, and have been equivocating between the .357 Sig and .45 ACP calibers. I know they have dramatically differnt ballistics, but what's better for a defensive carry cartridge where you just want to put the bad guy(s) on his/their back(s) as quickly and seemlessly as possible? Regards.

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

*opens the flood gates*

Which one is better for SD???

Let me ask you this...
    Which one do you shoot better?
    Which one gives you balistic that make you feel more comfortable?

There is really not enough difference between the two with good ammo to make a BG go down any faster or better.

3. Bradd D

Bradd D

Depends on which school of thought you subscribe to...light and fast or heavy and slow. Personally, I prefer to carry a .45 in the colder months to enhance performance against heavy clothing.

Bradd

4. Dead Man's Hand

Dead Man's Hand No Way to Win

J.Bourne, I'm a fan of both and own both. I alternate carry between a g30 and a G32, 30 for cold weather, and 32 for summer carry. Both will serve you well for self defense, but I see your from Michigan where the weather is typically colder so you may want to take a close look at the G30 or G36 for maximum penetration though thick clothing. Also you have to look at the ammo availability in your area, you will have no problem finding good .45 ammo but the .357 has not caught on nationwide so ammo choice may limited or nonexistent in your location.

5. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

To paraphrase: " A .357Sig <i>may</i> expand, but a .45ACP will never <i>shrink</i>. "

6. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

If you want a 45 ACP Glock, the G21 is the one I kept. Sold my G30 because too fat. The G36 snapped terribly.

So if you want another CCW philly, go G33. More concealable that you G23 and harder punching!

7. J.Bourne

J.Bourne Damaged Goods

yes indeed, the G33 looks like a winner. Regards, gentlemen.

8. grenadier

grenadier

A cheaper solution:

Get a Glock 32 barrel for your Glock 23 (assuming it is not one of the early 2nd generation ones), and buy a .45 Glock. This way, you get both.

9. smoney

smoney Top Guns Mod. Lifetime Member Millennium Member

presuming your G23 is a third generation i have to say "ditto that!"

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

To be contrary...get a G29 with .357 and .40 barrels.;f

11. phliplock

phliplock

It comes down to ,Do you want a big hole or a little hole

12. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

ALl I know is that .357 sig protects the Prez so it's good enough for me.

13. BigJon

BigJon

True, but one might also say that "a .45 ACP may bounce off things a 357 Sig might not." So what's the real-world, non-mumbo-jumbo answer?
    Seems to me it's this:

Regards,
    Jon

14. G31

G31 Millennium Member

I guess you can call a hole that is only 1/10th of an inch larger a big hole.

15. gdnctr

gdnctr

G32/.357sig works great for me. Blew a 35lb groundhog almost in half a couple of weeks back. I'd imagine it would stop a BG just fine.

16. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

J Bourne,

It all depends, since you never stated which models I'm assuming you’re in the market for a full size Glock like the G31 or G21. The G31 is a smaller package than the G21 so that’s something you should take into account having said that though 45ACP ammunition is much easier to find at the retail level than 357 SIG. But with pre ban magazines you'll get more capacity with the 357 SIG than you will with the 45 ACP so it basically boils down to what you like once you’ve tried both firearms out. After all do you buy cars without a test drive?

You really don’t need a big bad cartridge to put down a BG what you really need is to know shot placement so I would suggest you go to your local range or yellow pages and find an instructor to teach you some SD techniques and practice and continue to practice whatever it is they teach you so that way you can deal with whatever situation comes your way with whatever firearm you decide to acquire.

17. Guest

If you have a problem finding good sig ammo if you live out in the boonies you can always order some off of the interweb.

18. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Duncan, I can't believe you think the 36 snaps a lot !!!! I have one and even with + P loads it is quite tame. I recently polished my 36 trigger stuff and put in a 2.5 lb connector because the 36 trigger was just way heavy ... and much heavier for some reason than any other of mu 5 lb connector glocks. You think the 33 is a better choice , but I have heard it has some snap... I think the 31 and 32 are rather wimpy as to recoil, but pack a punch on the muzzle end for sure.

Between the 45acp and the 357 sig I would tend to advise people to go 45acp. The reason being more ammo choices and cheaper target ammo. I love the large diameter bullits and the line from grimsi is pretty much my motto ... the 357 sig may expand but the 45 will never shrink. That is an absolutely true asessment . I feel th 357 sig cartridge and balistics are excellent and I feel well armed with my 357 sig weapons... but the 45 for me is really a tried and true good defensive round. My feling is that the 357 sig may be one of the best balances of capacity and power except for the 10mm. I would comment on the 10 more, but I am out of my area of knowledge on it... I will hopefully learn soon.

19. Guest

I agree with quantico fully... .45 is the best.....

20. REFLEX

REFLEX

Get both, i did. I started with a .45acp, then got a .357 sig. You can't go wrong with either though.