357 Sig feel like an old friend.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by TN.Frank, May 17, 2018.

1. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Liberty or Death

For many years my "go to" was a 4" 357 Mag revolver like a K or L frame S&W . I knew I had a decent level of power and accuracy that would let me take care of most situationetetts that I'd find myself in. Moving to the semi-auro platform I found the 9mm lacking, the 40 S&W "flippy" and while I live the 45acp lacking in number of rounds.
    Enter the 357 Sig . Now I have a cartridge that has the power level I've been looking for with a decent number of rounds. I really wish I'd jumped onto the Band Wagon sooner. I really am getting to love this little Power House of a cartridge.

2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

The best thing about a 357 Sig is that it isn't popular. That means the probability that you will ever have to face someone using one is THANKFULLY very slim which means of course you have the advantage!

PattonWasRight and Chordeiles like this.

3. Bigpoppie50

Bigpoppie50

I like the 357Sig also. My S&WM&P 357Sig is one of my main home defense firearms.

4. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

My fav caliber, my carry caliber. Just finished setting up another P229 for 357, one of if not my favorite platform for the round. Loaded with Underwood 125 gold dots, not much I can't do with it. It'll punch glass and sheet metal with ease, which is something the "service" calibers lack somewhat. Decent round count, flat trajectory, and easy to shoot.

Guser, litework and triggerjerk like this.
  5. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Consider that Underwood offers not only the 357 Sig 125gr GD round but also the equally potent 125gr FMJ, the XD and XP rounds as well as a 147gr XTP and its versatility becomes apparent.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

I don't know, personally, for years, I shied away from "unique" calibers, proudly proclaiming myself a "9mm, .38 and 45acp man", but I have added both a 10mm and a 357 Sig (two of those, actually) and I must say, that 357 Sig really impresses me as a serious business "killing things" round. So far, I've only "killed" paper and steel with it, but shooting steel plates at 50 yards, you really notice the "right friggin' now" clang of the round hitting steel.
    The 10mm is okay too...

7. TN.Frank

Worked up a couple new handloads for my G31. Lord Willing I'll get out and shoot them tomorrow and get some Chrony Data to crunch. Then I'll have to load up a boat load of rounds for practice and a few for a back up Self Defense load. My current "go to" SD load is the Sig 125gr V-Crown. Really lovin' this cartridge, put the S&W 45 Shield up for sale so I can get a G32 or G33. Still not sure which one I want to get, but I do know I want another 357 Sig handgun.

happie2shoot likes this.
  8. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI

The 357 SIG is very impressive, much more so as a handloader.

9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Looking forward to your report, also consider the Corbon JHP 125gr it is similar in construction to the Sig V-Crown but with more velocity.

10. TN.Frank

Posted my Part 2 of the G31, Gen4 handload tests in General Glocking. With a max load of 10 grs. of Longshot I got an avg. of 1567 fps out of a 115gr Sierra HP, that's smokin' fast IMHO. Going to back it down to 9.8grs of Longshot so it'll be just shy of 1500 fps(I'll test it and report back on the exact fps) which will still should be an uber effective self defense load.

11. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I am not sure what the Longshot characteristics are but Underwood offers a 115gr 357 Sig round with a velocity of 1550 fps, which I'm sure they have tested for safety.

12. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I love my .357 sig. will definitely be getting another.

13. TN.Frank

Longshot is a slower burn rate powder similar to Blue Dot. It gives higher velocity at lower pressure.

14. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Miss less! :)

(My GLock 21 holds 13 + 1, it's hard to feel capacity challenged, and, for home use, I have a few mags fitted with Arredondo Accessories +4 mag extensions...which work flawlessly!)

15. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's cool to say miss less, but reality shows us that when moving and shooting at a moving target in a surprise life or death adrenaline scenario, perfect marksmanship is rare...and it might take several (or more) good hits from a pistol to stop just one attacker. And of course, most people don't all day every day year round conceal carry a full size gun.

If you can and do, great. 13+1 is unlikely to leave you short on ammo as a private concealed carrying citizen.

16. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

SHHH!!!!

We have to keep this a SECRET otherwise others will want it too.

17. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I shout the benefits of this round. I'd like to see it become more popular to drop the price of ammo for us non-reloaders.

PattonWasRight and Railsplitter like this.
  18. STI

STI

My main carry everywhere just about, since day 2 of ownership, day 1 I shot a night match with it next day carry, the 3 year search for it was worth it. It has never had a round in it other than Gold Dot, Ranger T or Black Hills, I have switched a few times back to my 1911's but back to the 32 every time.
    Sn#00* single digit.
    g32.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 10:49 PM
    Guser and PattonWasRight like this.
  19. TN.Frank

I'd have to say that the 357 Sig IS one of the best kept secrets in handgunning. Recoil isn't that bad IMHO and you get a lot of ft/lbs of energy on target. I already love this round and I've only been using it for a short time.

PattonWasRight and Railsplitter like this.
  20. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

You don't really need to have an emotional attachment to it, you just need to realize that it's the best. And yes it is a well kept secret but a secret that is known to some.

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    triggerjerk and PattonWasRight like this.