357 sig. conversion barrel: I think I’m in love

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Armedleprechaun, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Armedleprechaun

Armedleprechaun

I recently picked up a storm Lake 357 sig. conversion barrel for my Glock 22. I absolutely love it. There’s actually less felt recoil and torque then with 40 Smith & Wesson. Not to mention it’s a hot/powerful little round. My only concern is increased wear as compared to 40 Smith & Wesson. I plan on running 357 sig. with its own recoil spring. I also plan on changing it every 2000 rounds. Is there anything else I need to be concerned about? I just don’t want the pistol to prematurely wear out. It’s a generation three RTF2

2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

If you can afford enough ammo to wear it out you can afford a new 31. Just change recoil spring like you said and it will be fine. I carry a gen 4 33 and I agree it’s a powerful round. I get better ballistics than I would in a 34 with +p+ loaded in it.

3. John Polosky

John Polosky

You will like the 357 Sig round.

I have 4 guns in 40 S&W that have 357 Sig conversion barrel..

In addition to those 4 guns I just recently got the G32 gen 4 in 357 Sig and it quickly became my daily carry gun.

jimcorbin and tallTexasdude like this.
  4. sig357fan

sig357fan

my first Glock was a Gen 3 31 pre 2002 update and ya, its the only Glock I "broke".

pre 2002's had a locking block with legs sticking into the frame at the front, I managed to break them off in the frame, granted it was a very high round count so I got my money out of it and a trip back to Glock got me an updated frame with all the internals.

if your gonna run "HOT" 357 Sig, google "slide peening", tends to happen with high round count, hot loads, my 31 had it but cleaned up with a small fine file and eventually stopped.

I did run a 20 lbs. captured RSA because I reload and didn't care to chase brass into the next county.

I have a OME 32 barrel for my current Gen 4 23, still running the captured 20 pounder RSA so brass drops right at 10 ft. right and 5 ft. back on a tarp so easy to pick up for reloading

-JCN- likes this.
  5. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

If you feel 'less' recoil and torque, how is it going to wear more? Less recoil means less slide battering the frame. I have Sig conversions in my 35's and I agree the recoil and muzzle flip feels less, even with 180 gr .40 at 990 fps. You have to shoot +P .357 Sig to get it to muzzle flip like standard .40, in my critical opinion.

Feeling less recoil with the Sig isn't going to make you need a new RS. Both the standard .40 and standard .357 Sig ammo will bottom the slide, so the RS isn't working any harder with one than the other...once the slide bottoms, that's it. You tune your recoil spring to cut down on slide battering (which also creates a different recoil impulse), but not so much that you get excessive muzzle dive when the slide goes into battery. If you feel like the Sig has less recoil, you do not need to change your recoil spring to shoot Sig ammo, long as it extracts and ejects, well. Reading your OP, I'd be more concerned the .40 will wear, faster.

6. Chowser

Chowser

just change the rsa when you experience loading issues.

on one of our gen3 31s, it went about 6k rounds before it broke a locking block pin. never changed the rsa. haven't gotten that high on a gen4 yet but i plan on replacing RSA's every 5k rounds. Only two of us shoot that much anyway.

7. Bobcatbaseball

Bobcatbaseball

I loved my Gen 3 Glock 33, and my Gen 4 27 and 23 that I put OEM sig barrels in!!! The recoil impulse was more pleasant and disturbed my sight picture less than .40. I carried those in my rotation for around 3 years. I would practice with .40 and carry sig because my LGS charged $35 for a box of 50 American eagle paper punchers. Self defense ammo price was no big deal. If you are going to carry this round I have a word of caution. I caught a ONCE chambered 125 grain gold dot that set back about 3mm into the case when I cleared the pistol for a dry fire session one night. I believe I was holding a hand grenade in the event I needed my pistol for self defense. It happened with my Gen 4 23 with the 32 barrel installed and a Glock 32 15 round magazine (not that that matters on a bullet set back issue but I loved the round and was dedicated to using the correct OEM equipment to support it). I was unable to get over the fact that I once chambered round could be a danger. It would have been different if it was an American eagle round for training but this happened with a premium self defense hollow point. My worry eventually led me to go to 9mm and I have not looked back. I’ve come full circle and now all my pistols are 9mm. In my experience 357 SIG with its bottlenecked cartridge CAN be more prone to set back. It would have been different if I had been dumb and chambered the same round again after each dry fire session, but this was a ONCE chambered round. I distinctly remember all the details because I had been out of town all day for the birth of my niece. I also remember that the box of 20 gold dots I used to load that 13 round magazine were purchased the day before. Again I love the round! The quick pop recoil impulse was much easier to handle in quick shooting failure drills than the torque and snap of the .40. It was just that one hang up that happened to me that I couldn’t get over. Probably will never happen to you, but please be aware that SIG is more prone to set back if not properly crimped than a “straight” wall traditional cartridge. I definitely would only chamber defensive rounds once. Happy Glocking to you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

8. Bobcatbaseball

Bobcatbaseball

+P 357 SiG? I’ve never seen ammo designated as such. From my SIG experience a few years ago federal, Speer, ect 125 grain moves around 1350 from. Glock 32. Underwood cranks that up quite a bit to a statistical wash with 4” .357 magnum. But they didn’t call it +P.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

9. mitommy

mitommy

I have a Sig 229 that has a 357 Sig barrel. I love that combo. I cane across a good deal on a Glock 23 gen 4, And was happy that the deal included a 357 Sig barrel. I must say, when I shoot 357 Sig out of my Glock it stings my hand. The Sig is so much heavier, than the a Glock, that it helps deaden the energy transferred to my hand. So I rarely shoot 357 Sig in the Glock anymore.

jimcorbin likes this.
  10. Glock40man

Glock40man

If you change out the RSA every 2000 rounds, you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I suppose I used that, there, more as a colloquial. I don't believe it's designated as '+P', either, but there are substantial FPS differences between normal off the shelf at Walmart ammo verses ammo you can get at Underwood, Cor-Bon, or Buffalo Bore. Same with .40 S&W...there's no +P, but there is the standard pressure stuff and the hot stuff.

Standard pressure .40 S&W appears to have PF numbers around 178, give or take, but the hot .40 can neighborhood 200, and a few ammo makers even designate it '+P'. No one that I know of 'designates' .357 Sig as '+P', but the PF numbers generally range from 168 to a 181, and can get to a shocking 190 when really pushing it, but still cannot get as high as .40 S&W. This is the main reason you may hear someone say my .40 recoils a little more than my .357 Sig....the numbers show it's possible.

12. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

357 sig and 10mm shelf ammo are watered down. So the the loadings your lucky enough to find that are hotter are the way they were intended but certainly not +p and loaded right 357sig has a greater power factor than 40 s&w

13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

If you do enough research, you'll see .40 S&W is generally higher, and can be loaded higher (PF numbers, here).

I personally like the term 'plain ol'. Plain ol' .357 Sig 125 gr at 1350 = 169 PF. Plain ol' .40 180 gr at 990 = 178 PF. The difference isn't huge, but it's there. It also ends with the .40 being a little higher with the hot stuff. I've seen .40 loadings, retail wise, to 201 PF. I've never seen a retail .357 Sig with a 201 PF.

14. Sig M11

Sig M11

Love the 357 Sig, but.....

upload_2020-9-29_12-28-30.png

15. JDubbs316

JDubbs316

I am intrigued by the .357 Sig conversion. Even before the ammo shortage, I had trouble finding 357 ammo. I find .40 available even now. Is it that rare of a cartridge compared to 40?

Eventually, I will try a conversion when I can find range ammo (not $1+ a rd defensive).

16. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

G31, slide work, Holoson, all custom by me.

G22 slide work as well, 5.32" Alpha Wolf barrel chambered in 357sig. This round is by far my most favorite
    20200916_073506.jpg 20200417_103432.jpg

jimcorbin likes this.
  17. 1canvas

1canvas

I loved the 357Sig round and had a OEM 32 barrel for my 23 and an OEM 33 barrel for a 27.
    I favored the 125 HST and Underwood’s 147 XTP for the woods.
    After defending myself from an attack from two pit bulls with a 9mm shooting 147grn standard pressure ammo a few weeks ago my ears were not only ringing for days, one ear was hurting for hours after the shooting (I was between buildings) I could only think what it would have been like if I was shooting a 357Sig.
    At my age living with ringing in my ears and hearing loss for many years I can’t afford anymore damage. After thinking about it I decided to sell all of my 357Sig gear and ammo.
    It’s a great round but not for me anymore.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  18. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I don't think Sig ammo is readily available because it's getting popular, and for good reason...fast boolit without the recoil of a hot 40 S&W. I think 40 cal has lost some jazz 'cause of the agencies that scrapped it. What's interesting is the G41 and G30 both have recoil impulses that feel stronger, to me, overall, than standard pressure 40 cal out of a G22 or G35, and a lot of people love the 45 acp Glocks. 45 acp can range from a normal 198 PF up to 226 PF, right off the shelf. Ain't no 40 cal getting close to 226 PF unless it says 10mm on the case.

19. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

.357 is like that fun girl in high school I can never get it out of my head.
    I had a G33, and still have a 31 barrel for my 22. reloading dies and brass, etc. but gave the round up.
    I could not figure out how to reload it. but I love that round. a lot. it's a helluva shooter. it does have a different recoil impulse than .40. I would not call it LESS., just DIFFERENT. more controllable, yes. more blast, but recoil is more of a straight back "slap" as opposed to the .40 "pop."
    I always want another. but for time being, I have enough on my plate.
    dollar for dollar I do not believe there is a better service caliber ever made. If I had the choice, I would carry a G31 daily on duty over my G22. it does get nasty in the smaller guns, though. it is whhy I sold my G33.

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

There is a very clean, complete, blind marked, stainless steel Lone Wolf 6” slide with a 6” blind marked Lone Wolf 357 Sig barrel for sale on eBay. It has 10/8 sights; plain rear and fiber optic front.

$375 with free shipping. Only 1 bid so far.