close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.357 Sig 147gr?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Old Toryu, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Old Toryu

Old Toryu

Does anyone shoot this configuration? I know Hornady and Doubletap offer it. Seems like it would offer the benefit of higher sectional density and penetration while still achieving supersonic speeds which the 9mm loading can't accomplish.

2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

No one has any real life test data on it such as comparison shots through barriers or gel. About the most you will get here is an unmeaningful, "I love it, shoots great".

This is the best I could find http://stevespages.com/page8f357sig.html

3. fredj338

fredj338

IMO, not needed. The various bonded 124grJHP will penetrate just as deep & deliver some secondary wounding from the higher vel impact. What they need to do is come up w/ an intermedaite wt JHP deisgend for the 357sig. Something along the lines of the 135gr SPeerGDHP @ 1300fps. Until then, stick w/ the 125grGDHP, 125gr WinT or 125gr RemGSB.

4. unit1069

unit1069

I believe Fiocchi is coming out with .357sig Extrema rounds that feature the XTP bullet in 115-, 125-, and 147-grain weights.

I agree 125-grain seems the optimum weight for self-defense but when I'm in the woods I have the 147-grain Double Tap Gold Dots loaded and a second mag with 140-grain Sellier & Bellot TC.

5. remat

remat

I like the 147gr's. Sectional density is my friend. The 124gr loads are awesome, but shoot what you like and preferrably what you find the most accurate. As far as record/testing goes, even with years of data people still disagree on what to carry in 9mm. :p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  6. Old Toryu

Old Toryu

Hm well thanks for the input guys :)

7. mclaren

mclaren

I carry 147 grain XTP's in my G33. They are a little difficult to find on the shelves. The 124-125 grain offerings are more popular. The box says 1225 FPS from a 4 inch barrel I believe. I like the idea of the heavier bullets in this caliber. I carried 124 XTP's and 125 Gold Dots. Anything reputable will be devastating in this round.

I shoot through water jugs to test bullets. I have captured a Gold Dot, very impressive. Never an XTP though. I always underestimate the number of jugs needed. The XTP is a major penetrator at these speeds. Take that into account when you carry. I wouldn't carry these in crowds of people. Thats just me.
    I break out the 1911 for those situations.

8. fredj338

fredj338

It's because they don't expand worth a krap. I loaded some to 1250fps & shot them into wetpack. Very deep penetration but less than 50cal expansion. I like the Rem 125grGSB, makes about 1320fps from my short P239 & penetrates deeper than other 125gr w/ good expansion. They are expensive if you can find them. I got a coule boxes on sale back before the great shortage of the PBO admin. I'm hoarding them.:supergrin:

9. mclaren

mclaren

Is that the Golden Saber? I asked a TN State Trooper what his duty ammo was for his G31. He didn't know so he dropped the mag and showed me. They were Golden Sabers. Yes I am that geek that asks. Yes it was a bad call to drop the mag from his duty weapon for a stranger. It was appreciated none the less.
    Anyway I have never seen them in stores. I cant see these working well unless they are bonded. The velocity seems a little much.
    I have seen quite a few boxes of the UMC's with JHP bullets. Pretty affordable for 50 hollow points. Not sure exactly what bullet they use in those of if they are appropriate for defense.

I agree that the XTPs dont expand to a huge diameter. I think they would do great through sternum, ribs and spine though. I have never had one fail to expand in any other caliber so Im confident they opened up, just not enough to really throw on the brakes.
    The XTP also has a nice cannelure. This goes a long way in my book for .357 sig carry ammo. I had more than one Gold Dot set-back.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Yes it is bonded & has a shallower HP, not the 9mm bullet at all. It performes very well in my own wetpack test, equal to the 125grGD. http://www.ammobank.com/featurez.html
    http://eastcoastgunsales.com/product.php?ID=2646

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I can tell you how 147grs performs in .38 Super. :supergrin:

Bob :cowboy: