Glock Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to start handloading the.357 sig in a Glock 31. Would anyone have some handloads for 147 grain and/or 180 grain coated lead/ plated projectiles?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
I've run 147's over 7.8 grains of BE-86 on Hitek coated bullets. But mostly I run 125 gr Hitek over 8.4 grains of BE-86. Never tried 180's. You can find users load data on DaGoogle.

Cone Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Lipstick

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
2,748 Posts
I've run 147's over 7.8 grains of BE-86 on Hitek coated bullets. But mostly I run 125 gr Hitek over 8.4 grains of BE-86. Never tried 180's. You can find users load data on DaGoogle ...
For future reference, do you have a preferred die set for 357 Sig?

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
I just use standard Dillon dies except for the crimp die. For that I use the Lee factory crimp die, which is really a floating collet, so you don't have to trim 357SIG cases. It allows for about +/- .005" in case length.

Camera lens Camera accessory Automotive tire Rim Lens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks !

I have access to only a couple of ADI powders the main one I have is AP100. I cant see BE-86 on their burn chart. Does it go by another name?

thanks again for the information

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Looks like AP100 is similar to IMR SR 4756 (from the ADI website). If you can find it... If you are from Australia, I would check with the local IPSC clubs and see what those guys are running. They use 180's quite often.

BULLET WEIGHT
125 GR. SPR GD-HP
CASE
FEDERAL
PRIMER
WINCHESTER SP, SMALL PISTOL

ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
Starting LoadMaximum Loads
IMRSR 4756OUT OF STOCK0.355"1.135"null9.11,37638,900 PSI

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking to start handloading the.357 sig in a Glock 31. Would anyone have some handloads for 147 grain and/or 180 grain coated lead/ plated projectiles?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
147 grain data is plentiful out there.

My personal favorite uses Alliant Power Pistol and a 147 grain plated flat point bullet (X-Treme, Rainier Ballistics, or Berry's).

7.0 grains Alliant Power Pistol (7.4 grains max)
147 grain plated flat point bullet
Standard small pistol primer (any)
COAL= 1.135"
Crimp moderately, and bell the neck as little as possible

Exceptional consistency and accuracy.

I don't recommend 180 grainers, since you're going to have to load out to a far greater COAL, and the factory barrel isn't very tolerant of that.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Lot's of IPSC hosers run 180's in .357SIG. It's not so much a barrel issue, but Glock mags won't feed much past 1.150".

OP, forgot, don't run cast lead at 357SIG velocities unless you want to spend your waking hours cleaning the barrel. Lead is a PITA to get outta polygonal rifling.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lot's of IPSC hosers run 180's in .357SIG. It's not so much a barrel issue, but Glock mags won't feed much past 1.150".

OP, forgot, don't run cast lead at 357SIG velocities unless you want to spend your waking hours cleaning the barrel. Lead is a PITA to get outta polygonal rifling.
I second 9x45's comment about drag racing lead down Glock barrels. I've posted my killer 147gr XTP load out of my Glock 35 a few times if you're chasing velocity. I'll repost it here if you're interested but beings you were asking about coated/plated bullets...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts