Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rational
15,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am thinking about getting a small carbine in .357 Magnum for walking around in the brush, and for plinking. This would be a future purchase.

My thoughts on this, is if I ever get a job working alone out in the middle of nowhere (it's happened to me before), I want something to compliment my Ruger GP100. I figured that ammo-similarity between the two would be a huge plus.

I have a small carbine in .454 Casull, but obviously, that's WAY too much power. That, and I don't have a pistol chambered in the cartridge.

I figured anything chambered in .357 Magnum with a 16" barrel would take care of most 4-legged predators, and just about all 2-legged predators too.

Requirements:
-Must be stainless steel, not blued
-Must have a rubber-butt-stock (recoil pad), not a metal-curved butt-stock.
-Preferably Fiber-Optic sights, or have the ability to change out sights.
-No barrel length longer than 18-inches.
-Must be able to chamber 180-200 gr. Hard-cast flat-point bullets (in case I need heavy penetration/knock-down power).
-No large-loop lever.
-No octagon barrels (I find them ugly as sin, no offense).

Thanks folks!

·
12,970 Posts
Stainless 1894 Marlin, preferably used.

If I was in WA state, I would be carrying a .30-30 minimum. There are things in the brush up there bigger than people.

·
Rational
15,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stainless 1894 Marlin, preferably used.

If I was in WA state, I would be carrying a .30-30 minimum. There are things in the brush up there bigger than people.
Hmm...I more had in mind a High-Desert environment in Central Oregon. Dunno why. I can't imagine there's anything bigger than a coyote or even a wolf out that way.

But I also imagined working in some rural forested area up north or even east. I think the biggest I would come in contact with would be a bobcat, mountain lion, or again, a wolf. I think a .357 with heavy loads would be perfect medicine for either of these beasts, even from a 4" GP100. What say you?

I've also heard the new Marlins are nothing to write home about and, the research I've done on YouTube has some...shall we say...less than satisfied customers. I'd definitely be looking for a used Pre-Remington Marlin.

And XshooterX: I took a look at the Winchester Ranger, and sorry: I have no interest in paying over $1K for a levergun in this caliber. But thanks! It's a nice carbine to be sure.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and feedback! Please keep them coming. I've got to run off and grab some sleep; I've got a long day ahead of me. :wavey:

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,887 Posts
Get a Marlin or a Marlin. . .

And if you don't like those, check out Marlin. . .

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

Another option would be a Marlin.

·
Gaff G26 User!
2,392 Posts
I have a Rossi Puma that compliments my M686 or M14. Not stainless but very accurate and reliable. Keeps on being that way even after 20 years of .357Mag/.38Spl use.

One of my favorite plinkers and desert guns. The '92 action is very smooth. I keep her clean and lubed so no rust issues.

Good luck with your search!

HR:cool:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Rational
15,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm liking what I see from Marlin, but I'm not thrilled about what I've heard/read/studied about the current Remington Marlins.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but what is the issue with new Marlins?

Reason I ask is I bought a Marlin 336 about two years ago. I have a massive 200 or so rounds with it, all at the range, so it has not been a hard-working firearm.

But I have had no issues with it. It has always gone bang when requested.

Have no interest in starting a brawl, just have an interest in knowing why people thing the current Marlins are not terribly desirable.

Thx!

·
12,970 Posts
Everyone who's been building Marlins for a century or so was let go when Remington bought the company and moved production. So you effectively have a bunch of guys who know how to make guns, but do not have decades of experience knowing all the little oddities and quirks of building MARLINS, building Marlins.

Quality control was pretty wild for the first few years. Reeeeeeeally obvious stuff (wood to metal fit being horrendous, parts obviously not lining up, etc). The guns functioned but they looked like they were built by drunken Afghans. Given the generally awesome quality and external fit and finish of 150 or so years of Marlin production they were being judged against, the new "Remlins" got a crappy rep real quick. They've gotten better.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Personally, I'd pick the Marlin. My Cowboy Action gun is set up with a Marbles tang sight without the aperture and an extra large front bead. Mine is gold, but you can get ivory or silver. Targets are acquired quickly.

·
Da Da
7,230 Posts
I tried to find a similar gun in feb of this year. Ended up with a Rossi 16in 357 that's been great out of the box. IMO they must be inspected person ally before being bought. There a re some bad ones.

Paid $505 out the door for mine.

Then I found win94 with 26in barrel for $600 private party. It is 30-30 but near perfect condition for being 1991 limited edition gun, I was thrilled. So I have two.

Love them both.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Not knowing what your threats are, people or animals, I'd get an AR. Carry enough ammo for the rifle.

·
Banned
25,490 Posts
Not knowing what your threats are, people or animals, I'd get an AR. Carry enough ammo for the rifle.
Ha! ....that would be a funny thing to see in the wilderness 'round here the OP is talking about. Central/Eastern Oregon is not the Afganistan/Paki border region.

·
Rational
15,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha! ....that would be a funny thing to see in the wilderness 'round here the OP is talking about. Central/Eastern Oregon is not the Afganistan/Paki border region.
This. Thank you. A leveraction in .357 is much more desirable. If I wanted to carry a military arm, I'd rather carry my AK anyways.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts