.357 in 340pd is not bad at all.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jensen_lover, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

Just got back from shooting my new 340pd Scandium cylinder j-frame Smith and Wesson. I shot some .357 Hornady Leverevolution 130gr hollow points out of it and it was not a problem. I shot at least 8 to see if the other unseats and my hand did not/does not hurt at all. I realize these bullets are for rifles but that was all the Hornadys Academy had in .357.
    I am very glad I bought this gun.

Are these ****ty bullets to be carrying for self defense?

2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Good to hear your happy with the gun. Lots of guys are wussies and complain about the recoil. I don't own a 340pd but have shot several .357 J frames and have no problem with the recoil.

The load you mention will be just fine for self defense. Hell, most any .357 mag load would be.

As a carry load I would recommend Speer gold dot.

3. ede

ede

the cylinder is Ti and the frame is Sc and Al alloy, not a Sc or Sc alloy cylinder. i guess i'm a wussie, to me the recoil is painful after just a few rounds of magnum ammo.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

What grips did you have on it? Some people use grips that belong on an N frame and say the recoil is nothing. I have an SP101 with stock grips. There is only one load I can't shoot through it that I've tried. A max load of Lil'Gun and a 158LSWC. The trigger guard bashes into my middle finger and there is no getting aorund it. I couldn't even chrono them because three was all I could fire. The Sp101 weighs prolly twice what that SW does, try a 158 at about 1350 and see how it is.

But for practical purposes, it's good to hear. I don't know what those Hornady carbine rounds were doing, but it sounds like the gun is shootable with a 125-135 at maybe 1200fps or so. That should do the job with a good bullet and a good hit. Just don't take it for granted that all 357 ammo would recoil about the same. In all honesty, I think those Lil'Gun loads would break your finger with boot grips on it. Big grips defeat the purpose of a small gun.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Can a 2" .357 Mag actually hit 1200 fps or more?

6. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I bought a 360PD (same gun but with the hammer) and liked it so much I traded for another.

Both have Laser grips now.

I can shoot 2 cylinders of 357 magnum before it really starts to hurt.

I have other, full-sized, steel guns for plinking and practice. Including two steel 640's.

IMO, the Speer Gold Dots are the very best, hands down.

I love the 360PD's because they are so small and so light. I forget I am carrying them. Not only do they work in a holster but also in a pocket and ankle carry.

[​IMG]

I think those Hornady Leverevolutions were designed for a rifle/carbine and lose a lot of omph in that short barrel of the 340.

These guns are for carry-a-lot, shoot-a-little .

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Yes. I do it easily with 125's in my 2.25" SP101 and with certain loads with 158 cast bullets in the same gun. I'm certain the Lil'Gun load was well over that with a 158LSWC, but I couldn't even shoot enough of them to get it sighted in, much less risk shooting them over my chrono.

8. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

With 125's in mine it beats the snot out of my trigger finger. I love it though!

9. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Oh yeah, I think you will find out there is a HUGE difference in ammo from what you are shooting. The LR ammo is probably a much slower burning powder to take advantage of the longer barrel of a rifle. More push less SMACK!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  10. remat

remat

I am with you -- full power 357magnum is not fun out of my SCandium L-frame let alone a J AirLite and I am always flamed by folks on GG for saying that a GL27 has no recoil.

Congrats though, I am a huge fan of the SC line! I find Rem 125gr Golden Sabers to very pleasant in mine although if looking at fullpower it really likes 158gr HydraShok accuracy-wise.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  11. ede

ede

3 cylinders is the most i fired at once, hand hurt for a week. my son shot a 27 round qualifier with his, his hand/fingers were brused and bloodied when he was finished. all his class mates wanted to try it, most fired a round or two and had enough. my son was shooting my reloads that were not even max or full power loads, close but not quite full power.

12. ColCol

ColCol

Ya'll need to try one of these and you can shoot more than just 2-3 cylinders full. I'm not into pain myself.

13. jensen_lover

jensen_lover

I really like the gun, it is the most I have spent on a gun by about $200. I was carrying it today and it is much less noticable than my j-frame airweight. I think I am going to try the Speer Gold Dots, I have had about five people recommend them.

I made a thread in Caliber corner asking what is the best round and almost everyone had a different suggestion.

I do not know what type of grips are on the gun, as far as I know they are stock. They look like the grips everyone else has.

14. Maine

Maine

15. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Boot grips more than likely. Great for concealment and fine for any kind of reasonable recoil. I would not just jump into any old full loads as there is some serious potential to beat the crap out of your hand with even just one shot.

Remmington Golden Sabre is a medium velocity 125JHP that should be pretty shootable in a gun like that. I haven't fired a 357 that light, so I can't give any personal input. But having fired max loads out of a substantially heavier gun, with better grips, I can tell you that things can get painful real fast.

I can shoot all factory 357's from my SP101 all day, but the elephant hunting handloads can hurt.

16. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Like others have said the Hornady Leverevolution ammo made for lever action rifles. I'm no expert but something tells me it has slower burning powder so that it the bullet can build up to max speed in say a 16" to 18" barrel. Out of a 2" barrel I thing you are blowing out unburn powder and just creating a big muzzle blast and slower than average .357 bullet. It probably looks nasty, but I doubt you are getting the full .357 recoil effect.

Before you strut around all cocky, try .357 ammo made for short barreled revolvers like Buffalo Bore or Speer Gold Dot for short barrels.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  17. rgb03

rgb03

you have shot many 357 j frames but have you shot the 340 pd with the boot grips on?

i find it a very painful gun to shoot with the stock grips. i rented one the night i bought mine and put 50 rounds thru it. for some reason i thought i had to shoot all 50. what a mistake.i had a hell of a time trying to fill out the paper work. my hand was shaking and numb and my trigger finger was bleeding from hitting the trigger gaurd. i assume i didnt get a good grip on the beast.
    i traded the boot grips out for the crimson trace 305 grips. they cover the backstrap with rubber and are long enuff to get your pinky on the grip. the 357 loads dont feel half as bad but still sting some. 38 +ps are no problem and feel as i could shoot as many as i wanted without any pain or sting.