close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.327 Magnum

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by mclaren, Mar 11, 2010.

1. mclaren

mclaren

Has anyone adopted this round? Does it really serve a purpose? There are only 3 different types of ammo for it that I know of. I know its supposed to have great ballistics.
    This reminds me of the 5.7x28mm. There are like 2 kinds of ammo for it and maybe 5 platforms. The Five seveN, an AR upper conversion, and the rifle (P90? PS90?) I know one is full auto and one semi.
    Anyway I think the round is superb but its popularity has suffered because of lack of market attention. I heard it was some sort of a patent stronghold that kept anyone else from delving into the 5.7 market. A revolver would be sweet. A light bolt action rifle would be sweet.
    But I digress,

Won't the 327 share this fate if some more ammo variety doesnt come along? Has S&W recognized this round yet? All I know of is a Charter arms or a Ruger SP101/GP100.
    How about a Lever Action? How about a J Frame. How about some Golden Sabers or some Ranger T Series? Silver Tips?

I realize by the way that the 5.7x28 is immensly popular worldwide, just slightly out of reach of the lay man. I was comparing because its a niche round.

2. dougader

dougader

Ruger SP101, 6 shot, 3" stainless
    GP 100, 7 shot, 4" stainless
    Blackhawk, 8 shot, 5.5" stainless
    Charter Arms Patriot, 6 shot
    Taurus M327, 6 shot, 2" Blue or Stainless
    S&W 632 Pro Series, 6 shot, 3" black stainless

Federal 85 grain and 100 grain ammo, Speer 115 grain Gold Dot ammo.

I think its a great round too. It recoils less than a +P 38 yet has more muzzle energy.

3. unit1069

unit1069

Now that there's a .327 Magnum revolver caliber how difficult would it be to create a ".327sig"?

The popularity of small, easily concealable semi-autos is certainly the trend, but a lot of the product seems to have issues with trying to fit .380ACP/9mm cartridges into small frames.

I think if somebody could pull it off a small .327 semi-auto would grab the .380ACP market share with little effort, since it would allow 9mm power in a properly scaled pistol.

Maybe someone with manufacturing knowledge will come along with some information on whether or not this is feasible.

4. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

Already been done, .32 NAA. It didnt take off and currently there is only one loading from Cor-Bon.

The .32 H&R was aimed towards the same market (small concealable revovlers) and did the same thing (added a 6th round in a J frame) it didnt go over very well. I dont see the .327 going over well either. Mainly because I personally am not willing to give up that much size caliber wise to gain one whopping round. Dosent seem like a good trade off to me. But only time will tell.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I trust the 327 to put down an attacker a lot more than I do the 5.7 mouse gun.
    Pat

6. N/Apower

N/Apower

The best loads from Elite Ammo don't even compare to the .327. I concur.

7. mclaren

mclaren

Really?? I thought the 5.7 was some sort of prodigy. I have always read how devastating the terminal ballistics are. Interesting. I wonder if any bad guys have eaten a 327 mag yet. I bet it lays the smack down.
    I think I would still rather have a 357 magnum.