320 Platform

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BuckeyeGlock77, Feb 13, 2020.

1. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

I’m curious thoughts on those of you who have bought into the P320 platform. I’m eyeing the x-compact to get into it and be able to change into other calibers and frames as I desire, versus buying a while gun. That fire control module seems smart.

The concept looks appealing. Curious as to what other P320 users are doing, and would you buy into it again?

Willard likes this.
  2. hardluk1

hardluk1

I have no interest in having a box full of parts always hanging around like you would have with an X change kit . Be sure you understand the p320XC is new style x series grip and 3.6 barrel like the old sub compact and a compact length grip module so any exchange kits will have the old style grip . How about you look at the cost of any x change kit then look at the cost of P320 CPO pistols and find the difference is 10 to 20 bucks . Maybe a COP will fill some needs and have two complete pistols .
    P320CPO Look around and see what you find -

I not a brand fan boy so if you have not sized up M&P 2.0 lately you can buy a compact 2.0 9mm in ether 3.6" or 4" barrel and the same 15 rounds cap with or with out thumb safety and same weight class for 419 new like at Sportsmans Out door Superstore Yea I also have a M&P 4.25 40 I will carry and a lw commander and occasion .

example -
    https://dkfirearms.com/product/sig-sauer-cpo-p320-full-size-9mm-night-sights/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    BuckeyeGlock77 likes this.

3. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I have a P320 carry model and love it.

4. jr24

jr24

Don't own the 320, but I did own the 250 and have looked at the 320 a number of times and shot it quite a bit.

With the base frame, I passed. The grip doesn't let me get as high as I like and I felt it had unnecessary flip compared to other polymers, specifically the Glocks I already own.

With the X Frame and flat trigger (which I really like) it's a different story. Fits my hands very nice and shoots very well, especially the VTac I shot.

I still don't like how tall the slide is but that's a personal quibble.

I had bought the 250 for swapping frames but the process and the seeming flimsiness (not sure how the 320 is different here) of the FCM I really never bothered, picked a size and stick with it.

Heck with the used prices of 320s these days it'd be pretty easy to just buy another.

The 320 is not top of my list for polymer, but I think it's a good gun and will treat you well.

5. Brian Keene

Brian Keene

It’s an easy gun to shoot and enjoy but I have never really taken advantage of the modularity of it. I’ve had a few over the years since they came out and the only thing I didn’t was change the grip in order to get a different color/size. I like the gun but once I shot a 509 for the first time, all my 320s, PPQs, and VP9s were sold. The 509 is the striker gun I choose to live with nowadays. I still keep a g19 around but my focus is 509.

Chui likes this.
  6. kyjd75

kyjd75

Just bought a P320 compact (not X-compact) and initial shooting was very impressive. No malfunctions and very good accuracy. I like the grip feel (did wrap it with a Talon rubberized grip). If I were starting from scratch the 320 would be a serious contender along side Glock. But since I am heavily invested in Glock, understand them inside and out, and have a lot of trigger time with them, I won't be abandoning Glock. But I may add another P320 compact in .45acp. The P320, IMHO, is a nice pistol. Oh yeah, I tried the X-compact grip, and didn't like it as much as the regular compact model.

7. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

To be honest, I was skeptical about them for a while. At first glance, they didn't seem very interesting to me. When the drop safety concerns became a thing, I nearly convinced myself that they weren't worth a look.

When I finally allowed myself to look at one with an open mind, I realized that I had been too quick to dismiss them.

Aside from the ability to change grip modules to make them smaller/larger, the ability to swap slides/barrels for different lengths, and the ability to change calibers... There are a couple of things that I really like about the P320.

First, is the trigger. It is by far the nicest trigger I have ever felt on a striker fired pistol, and better than the single action trigger on a good majority of the DA/SA guns I have owned. It isn't for the fact that it is the lightest (because it isn't necessarily), but rather for the combination of factors to include the consistent pull, the very reasonable weight, the lack of grit, the lack of creep, the crispness of break, the shortness of reset, and that tactile feel/sound of that reset.

Next, is a fearure that is a simple byproduct of the modular nature of the pistol. Because the FCU is easily removed for swapping to a different grip frame, it is also easily removable for detailed cleaning. The P320 is very easy to keep absolutely spotless as a result.

While I won't go so far as to say that the P320 is the "best" system available for launching lead, it is a VERY competent system, and one certainly worthy of consideration. Mine is a full size, standard model in .45 ACP, and it has quickly become one of my favorite firearms. It is reliable, accurate, comfortable in my hand, easy to maintain, and packs a punch. You can't ask for much more than that from a pistol.

K. Foster, A-Train and BuckeyeGlock77 like this.
  8. 45caldan

45caldan

The 320 (now) is a great alternative to those who don’t care for Glocks and their ergonomics.

K. Foster and A-Train like this.
  9. Jesuvuah

Jesuvuah

I just picked up a used Cary tacops. It is growing on me, but I can't ever see it replacing my G19. Being able to change grips is nice. I will probably buy an x grip or Wilson's new grip.

I have no interest in the xchange kits. For the price you can almost buy a whole new gun

I think my biggest gripe with it is I am so used to a Glock, it just feels so foreign to me.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

jr24 likes this.
  10. MD357

MD357

Never thought I would like them or shoot them as well as I do. I'm up to four now. It IS nice to be able to switch out a grip module for cheap. Even Wilson Combat is making them.

Master Guns likes this.
  11. Kennydale

Kennydale

The whole P320 concept appeals to me! I do have 3 9mm Glocks, and really want a G19 MOS /5 but if I was just starting out today. I might just have opted for the P320X Compact, to start off with!

12. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

We bought a P320 compact chambered in .45ACP and a Glock G30S at the same time to select a compact carry piece. We like how the P320 shoots and slightly prefer its feel over the G30S, but it is larger, heavier and carries one less round than the 30S. Both have been 100% reliable.

For our purposes, we prefer the G30S but the difference is not large. The P320C is a nice pistol and ours is not going anywhere any time soon.

The modularity of the P320 is currently meaningless to us, as we have no plans to switch frames.

We trudge on.

MrGlock21 likes this.
  13. dbuck47

dbuck47

The 320 is a nice shooter. I have some time on the standard full size version. Nice trigger, nice sights, accurate. The grip feels great to my dominant hand, but a Glock has a little flatter real estate for my support hand. I have not tried the X style; it might be better.

The mags are nice, but a little pricey compared to Glock.

The aforementioned trigger in my opinion requires a little more attention. Obviously all guns require care, but the Sig trigger has less take up, a crisp break, and shorter reset than a Glock. Judicious holster selection and trigger finger discipline are critical; as in all guns but especially so with this system.

The modular capability would not seem as important to civilians; a setup is not inexpensive. I think a grip frame, slide, spring, and barrel is close to $400, so for another bill you could just have another complete gun. In jurisdictions where another gun requires a lot of red tape, I can see it, and obviously it is beneficial when dealing with thousands or hundreds of thousands of units as with the military.

I would say try one, rent first if possible. You might like it better or just want one for a range toy. They seem to be great guns. As far as changing, to me it’s like Ford and Chevy. I would drive a Ford but I prefer a Chevy. I think the 320 is great, but not enough to forsake Glock.

Oh, for some the availability of a manual safety is a plus. While I don’t care for manual safeties on striker fired guns ( defeats their primary advantage imo) I would consider it on the 320 system.

Rambling post. I prefer the Glock system as a whole, but could adapt to the 320 if I had to.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1

If you pick up a sig P320 let say a old standard style carry or full or compact slip on some snap caps and try the trigger pull and find it pretty good or even nothing special THEN find a X series to try it like the XC or X 5 or Xcarry or one of the latest variations of the X series . You find it feels as different as it can be and still be a striker fired pistol . From a slightly different grip angle to grip feel and higher grip the trigger style & pull thats very different and lighter .

I prefer the X style compact grip module period - and that is my only change to my 5 year old P320 compact I carry daily although I'm purdy fond of the p320XC trigger pull too !

jr24 likes this.
  15. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

I got an M17 in a trade with the intent of trading it for something else and after I shot it decided to keep it. I went a different direction and bought a 320 Compact conplete slide to go with the M17 grip. Sig customer service said it was compatible so I went with it because my 9mm carry selection was lacking. I prefer the larger calibers but don’t feel under armed with 17 +P 147 HST’s available.

16. A-Train

A-Train Member

I recently switched over from Glock G19X pistols to Sig P320 and M18 pistols. I’ve wanted a striker fired gun with a manual safety for years and no one made one I liked. When Glock finally unveiled the G19X for the military pistol trials, and showed the original version, I was pumped. Then Gaston pulled his usual tricks and took the manual safety off before releasing the gun to the public (thanks for nothing). I still bought a couple because I have a big hands and liked the full size grip, with no finger grooves, and the 19 sized slide. It was my favorite Glock made to date.

Then I tried out a buddy’s P320, with manual safety, (post drop safety, fixed model) and was really impressed with how it shot and handled. I know a lot of people have strong feelings on manual safeties but I’m a big fan (you can search my previous posts in other treads for the reasons why) so after shooting the P320 I was impressed enough to buy one.

Now I have 6 of them (yeah I go overboard) and really like them. While I think it’s interesting to read what the internet gun forums think of things, I decided long ago that opinions (especially online), are a lot like a$$holes (everyone has one and they are typically full of $hit), and decided to actually try out stuff myself to decide if I liked them or not. It’s been a relatively good decision to date.

I’d say give them a try for yourself and see what you think. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with Glock for years and never been a Sig fan, but between the P365 and the P320 pistols I’m becoming one (although for the record I’m NOT a fan of some of their recent business practices).

Here is one I just put a red dot on.

C8F7045A-C9C2-404C-AD67-B6F4A4B728D5.jpeg 2B0733D6-7C2B-4E5D-98F4-4DA9827A6FA1.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    pag23 and BuckeyeGlock77 like this.
  17. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I love my 320 XCompact.. I just wish Sig did different colors..like OD green..lol

The trigger is an improvement from the regular 320

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My P320 X-Five is the best 9mm service pistol I have shot, as far as trigger and accuracy. I'd like to have a second one.

19. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

I have two friends that have them. One switches between a carry frame and a compact frame. The other does a compact slide with a subcompact frame.

They shoot really nicely for sure. It seems a compact or carry size to start gives you a nice array of options to branch off to if that's what you're looking to do.

My department is looking to switch to them, I wont be disappointed if they do and will probably opt to carry a compact 320 off duty to keep things consistent.

20. 0311INF

0311INF

Unfortunately the slide and barrel kits and magazines are too expensive to make much sense, so the modularity is hype. It is nice to get cheap frames to play with but I dont know that makes up for it.
    The platform is accurate and easy to shoot well. I prefer Glock slide size in comparison. The P320 could stand to be slimmed down.