Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that reload, AND use a 30S over the 30SF do you find you can down load much more with the lighter 30S?

I ask because I just got pushed out of a complete 30S upper on Gunbroker. We here in CA can't acquire 30S or 36's, but we could hobble one together from our 30SF frames.

Anyway, I got priced out before I could even bid (it went for $491), and I just didn't think that it would be worth that much to me in a Division that usually doesn't even have 10 masters in it to have a share the wealth opportunity.

Least of all only to find out with the OEM recoil spring I might not be able to down load much more anyway.

I spent the money on a CED7000 shot timer (no, not $490 of it, only $160 shipped). I'm going to start working on my FIRST shot from the low ready.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Glock 36 is on CA's approved handgun list. Are you unable to find one here? I picked one up a few years ago.
https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search
The NON RAIL version which is discontinued is OK. So any import would have to be a to a California to an FFL that would be more privy than most. Then there is finding someone that will SEND it to CA.

It is annotated as such on the Glock Pistol Certificates the railed versions are not for CA.

A new one just can't be ordered.

You are not going to see non railed G36s in a gun store next other roster Glocks.

Now, that's not to say some railed ones didn't slipped through the system. The CA roster list doesn't call it out, and I have known some to get lucky.

Actually, that's pretty big of Glock to continue to pay to list a pistol of which they no longer will ever get any income from.

·
Arms Dealer
842 Posts
For those that reload, AND use a 30S over the 30SF do you find you can down load much more with the lighter 30S?

Anyway, I got priced out before I could even bid (it went for $491).
I have them both, but I have never tried to play with loads between the 2 as a shoot the 30SF more. With that being said, the 30S / 36 upper does have slightly more perceived recoil with the same load, so you probably could drop it down a few grains and still get it to cycle reliably.

Damn, $491? Several years back, I bought mine off a fellow GTalker for $250. It was pretty beat, and I spent a small fortune getting it refinished...

The NON RAIL version which is discontinued is OK. So any import would have to be a to a California to an FFL that would be more privy than most. Then there is finding someone that will SEND it to CA.

It is annotated as such on the Glock Pistol Certificates the railed versions are not for CA.
No offense to GLOCK, but they're not a CFD, and are probably just being overly cautious with their pistol certificates.

This is what is listed on the CA Handgun Roster:

upload_2020-5-4_9-22-58.png

*No Generation 4 or Generation 5 Glock handguns have been approved as of: Monday, May 4, 2020
*No Glock handguns made in the USA have been approved as of: Monday, May 4, 2020

IMHO, any GLOCK 36 that is not a Gen 4 or 5, and is not made in the USA is legal to be transferred. There is no differentiation between Rail vs Non-Rail.

Just my humble $0.02.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
INMHO, any GLOCK 36 that is not a Gen 4 or 5, and is not made in the USA is legal to be transferred. There is no differentiation between Rail vs Non-Rail.

Just my humble $0.02.
Is that the difference between a railed and non railed? Where they were made?

How is it the lowers on the Gen3's I recently got were all made in Smyrna, GA USA and the upper were all Austria of course (is that what they are considering, I've never seen the upper anything other than Austria here in CA or on the internet)

I suppose that's a question over at CalGuns forum. Not that I'm going to BUY one (was just hoping on a $200 upper)

·
Arms Dealer
842 Posts

How is it the lowers on the Gen3's I recently got were all made in Smyrna, GA USA and the upper were all Austria of course (is that what they are considering, I've never seen the upper anything other than Austria here in CA or on the internet)
I'm not entirely certain. My G36 upper is Austrian marked, but I know there are some 100% USA made guns (like the G42) that are marked as such. One thing you could look at would be the trigger shoe on a subcompact gun. If it has the ribs, then it was imported as they need the import points. If the trigger is smooth from the factory like in the 42, then it was made stat side. One reason why the smooth OEM trigger is "not really" available for the 43 (none of them are made here).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Though possible, not necessarily the reason.

To my knowledge, the only .45 subcompact ever made in the Gen 4 line is the 30. The 30SF, 30S, and 36 were all pre Gen 4.

The many call the first appearance of the finger bumps a Gen 3. But the finger bumps first appeared in many of the subcompacts and large bores before the rail was added. In the collector world it is usually called a Gen 2.5.
I won’t get into all of the variations and I’m no expert.

Here are Gen 2, Gen 2.5, and Gen 3 samples.

If a matching serial number gun, I’m skeptical of this statement. I own several and in many cases “duplicate” model guns from both countries of origin.

The lower typically says
Made in Austria
Glock, Inc Smyrna GA.

I may be mistaken, but I’d like to see pictures if I’m wrong.

Here are examples of what I typically see.

I’m aware of one major variation outside of these. But it is very uncommon and I’ve only seen it in a G19. But it was also from Austria and import marked

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My G43 AND 30SF are ribbed.

MY G17's and G21 are NOT. But my 17's are Gen4's from Virginia

The G21 and 30SF are pistol certificate acquisitions

I'm not entirely certain. My G36 upper is Austrian marked, but I know there are some 100% USA made guns (like the G42) that are marked as such. One thing you could look at would be the trigger shoe on a subcompact gun. If it has the ribs, then it was imported as they need the import points. If the trigger is smooth from the factory like in the 42, then it was made stat side. One reason why the smooth OEM trigger is "not really" available for the 43 (none of them are made here).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are examples of what I typically see.
That was a huge lesson for me. Thanks.

Yes, mine all say Austria: Gen4 Gen3 G43, 17,21, 30SF, California acquisition or Virginia acquisition.

I have just never seen a USA stamped lower.

I thought that all my lowers were made out of Georgia with Austria uppers slapped on top. I guess they are all Austria through and through.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sooo......... based on what 1RoundEye said (and I totally agree with him).

I could acquire a G36 with rail if it is Austrian made, because yes they make a GEN3 version, and well, even the Gen3 G36 on the Glock Website WITH RAIL says Austria on the frame.

As 1RoundEye pointed out, the rail version is not called out. I just need to find an FFL that will play the game on potentially a CA DOJ oversight (when it comes time to buying one).

·
Registered
888 Posts
That was a huge lesson for me. Thanks.

Yes, mine all say Austria: Gen4 Gen3 G43, 17,21, 30SF, California acquisition or Virginia acquisition.

I have just never seen a USA stamped lower.

I thought that all my lowers were made out of Georgia with Austria uppers slapped on top. I guess they are all Austria through and through.
The “Made in” portion was added in the late Gen 1 early Gen time. I’m really not sure. This is a really early Gen 1 and a April 98 Gen 1 17L. Neither have it. All my Gen 2s have “made in” with the oldest about early 1991, IIRC.

Here is the odd duck.

You can get far more info than you want on the collector forum here.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The ribbed trigger / import points only applies to guns with a barrel under X inches. A good rule of thumb would be Compact, SubCompact, and Pocket Guns if imported would have a ribbed trigger from the factory.
It’s not really the size of the barrel that drove this. But your observation may be spot on. It was the ATF import assigned points. Barrel length (and overall length) points are pretty minor compared to other things.

I’ll try to find the list. It is interesting and also what caused the first imported Gen 1s to have an adjustable rear sight.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll try to find the list. It is interesting and also what caused the first imported Gen 1s to have an adjustable rear sight.
I saw it as some point as well. It is quite ironic because based on that list I have actually ADDED points to my pistols making them pure target/competition guns. Dawson Adjustable sights being the main thing I guess.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Long before Glock made the new guns I put a 36 top end on my 30. I was running DP cap loads and was 100% reliable with exception of cold weather and my ammo. Hand warmers fixed that.

·
18,982 Posts

I ask because I just got pushed out of a complete 30S upper on Gunbroker. We here in CA can't acquire 30S or 36's, but we could hobble one together from our 30SF frames.

Anyway, I got priced out before I could even bid (it went for $491), and I just didn't think that it would be worth that much to me in a Division that usually doesn't even have 10 masters in it to have a share the wealth opportunity.

Least of all only to find out with the OEM recoil spring I might not be able to down load much more anyway.

I spent the money on a CED7000 shot timer (no, not $490 of it, only $160 shipped). I'm going to start working on my FIRST shot from the low ready.
I've never shot reloads through a G30 or G30s but with factory loads there isn't much difference between the two guns. The double-wide grip and the polymer frame soak up the recoil.

I suppose you could shoot reduced loads in the gun for long range sessions but you'd still want to do some practicing with full power loads if you intend to carry the gun which you may not be able to do in California depending on what county you live in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts