close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30sf or 21sf

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by whitey4311, Feb 10, 2012.

1. whitey4311

whitey4311

I have a 21sf and love the gun. I shoot it weekly in USPSA and am up to 10k rounds on the gun. I also CCW the same gun and have settled on the carry clip method while using the Vanguard trigger guard from Raven for added safety.

I dont so much have an issue with concealing the gun but my motto has always been to carry what I practice with. I have got to the point after shooting competition that I can pretty much shoot anything well. For that reason I dream of a compact version of the gun and twice now nearly bought the 30sf but got cold feet and changed my mind.

My concerns are that I am gaining an edge for concealment with the 30sf but am not sure that really is an issue so what then am I loosing in terms or recoil management and accuracy? The other idea in my head is that the mags are the same size. My off side carries 2 mags which print a hell of a lot more then the 21sf so what then would it matter having a 30sf when its going to use the same mag pouch.

I am aware of the smaller calibers and glocks but I love and wont change from 45acp nor like the idea of a g36 given its history. I hope that the 30sf has its bugs worked out and the one I checked had the newest -1- cruciform so I should be in the clear. The one issue I had at the store was getting the slide off and the guy told me I was doing it wrong, lol. He tried 3 more times then passed it off to another who forced it off. This gun has been handled since Sept in the show case and I watched them assemble the top end with the recoil spring NOT in its assembly notch so who knows what was done to it but its not the one I am taking home.

I do have a USP HK 45 compact and like the gun but not as much as my glock. What I do like about it is that all my fingers fit on the frame vs the 30sf where the pinky rests on the mag and needs to be moved when changing mags. The pinky issue on the 30sf is also a big concern of mine and I really dont like the idea of having all my fingers not fit on the frame.

Please help me sort out the mess in my head. At this point I am leaning toward another 21sf dedicated to CCW and the one I currently have dedicated toward competition.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. tinman517

tinman517

Ask to see another 30SF. However, based on your comments and observations, the 30SF is not for you, unless you can work through the issues.

3. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster

I handled 6 differant 30sf's before I chose the one I wanted. I function tested and removed the slides on all 6. They all felt differant. One was realy bad as far as I was conserned. The one I chose had the best trigger pull and also had the newest born on date 11/11. It now has over a 1000 rds through it and I trust it. It is by far the best shooting Glock I own.

4. eclark53520

eclark53520

I find my dual recoil spring G30 to be easier to handle recoil wise than my single recoil spring G21.

Very soft shooting G30.

5. Michael9418

Michael9418

I have both and like you I love the 45 cal and the main reason I got the 30 was cc recoil is manageable and it's very accurate love both guns!!!

If you view life at 50 the same way you did at 25 you have wasted 25 years of your life. Mohammad Ali

6. whitey4311

whitey4311

Problem is there is just 1 in the store and I would have to order a new one so handling it wouldnt be possible. I am still struggling with my choice.

Those of you whom carry a g30 does it feel that much smaller and lighter then a 21? I am wearing my 21 now with a carry clip and it feels fine to me. The muzzle could be shorter and perhaps not hit my femur bone as much or when I sit it wouldnt hit the chair so this could be a benefit to the 30.

7. Michael9418

Michael9418

If you look at your 21 were the rail has a notch,that's the end of the 30 and the handle it's about two inches shorter far as weight goes it feels good damn good like I said I love both but rather carry the 30 don't feel like the terminator lol

If you view life at 50 the same way you did at 25 you have wasted 25 years of your life. Mohammad Ali

8. Glock_your_world

Glock_your_world

I can't say as far as a G21 but I am wearing my G30sf as I type this from the restaurant . I love the G30sf it is my favorite Glock. As a matter of fact it is currently my only Glock.

9. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

I have both and shoot each equally well. I carry the G30sf all day every day. I'm trying to decide what laser I will put on the G30sf. CT doesn't make laser grips for the SF yet. Hope you get everything worked out.

NN

10. whitey4311

whitey4311

I think you guys sold me. I am 99% sure I will be going to order the 30sf today at my LGS. I have the 21sf so I can start with something different just for fun and if I love it then it will be on my CCW permit soon.

I have to get over the issue of trying to ccw the same gun I shoot in competition. I just wont need much more then a compact in a SD situation to get the job done. I am hung up on all that a full size offers although now I am starting realize its impractical to ccw needs after a few years of carrying.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. eclark53520

eclark53520

I was hung up on that for a while too...

It's the capacity that really had me carrying the 21...so i just carry the 30 with a 10 rd G30 mag in, and carry a separate G21 mag. 23 rounds and a very manageble weapon that conceals easily. It doesn't get much better.

12. whitey4311

whitey4311

I am in california so I get 10 rounds either way.

Went to the LGS and handled the 30sf again. They had only the display in stock and it looks to have been handled a lot. More thinking still has me on the fence. The 30sf sits high in my hand so the bottom of my palm wont control muzzle climp as well. Its the bottom portion of the grip I am talking about.

I can carry the 21sf easily so I may keep doing that and see if I get tired of it then go for the 30sf. Maybe by then it will be in stock. For a small more concealed option I am thinking a nice s&w revolver appendix style. This would be for those family occasions where hugging results in people grabbing at my glock, lol.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  13. seaswol

seaswol NRA Life Member

Get any, but get a conversion barrel and reoad. A Dilon SDB will reload most pistol loads very well.
    Chris

14. cptslick

cptslick

I just traded a Gen 3 G19 for a G30sf and I'm happy.

15. IV Troop

IV Troop

The fact that you are forced to carry 10 round mags would make the choice a no brainer for me. I really like my G21sf and consider it the easiest shooting .45 ever, but in your circumstances, I would dedicate the G21sf for IPSC and roll with the 30SF as a CCW piece.

Your IPSC skills will transfer over quite readily to the 30 in no time at all. I shot a G21 in IPSC in the mid 90s-early 2000s and found it to be the ideal platform. It was my duty gun at the time so it made sense anyway.

Heck, often I would win at the end of the day and never be the top shooter on a single stage. I would be in the top three or five on every stage. The thing is that I was consistent and my Glock .45 went bang every single time I pulled the trigger. The same could not be said for others on my squad with tricked out race guns. I ran 1911s as well, but I found I shot my G21 better.

I attribute the Glock 21s reliability to that success.

Good luck with your choice and Safe Shooting!

16. whitey4311

whitey4311

Shot the 21sf today at the IPSC match and I am in love all over again. I am saying this as my brand new Wilson CQB which was further upgraded after being send back to Wilson sits home in the safe. I love 1911's but there is something just stupid about glock simplicity and no nonsense function. I think the biggest thing for me is that I can work on a glock and replace parts easily which really isnt possible with a custom hand fitted 1911. I just enjoy knowing I have a sight pusher for any changes I want to make to my sights and as for parts they are simply drop in and work great.

Honestly I am such a good shot with the 21sf and have no issue carrying it that I made the choice to get another dedicated for CCW and add a S&W 640 357 mag revolver to my permit to be carried when size matters. :)

FYI

Shot Bear Creek LRN for the first time in my stock glock barrel and no issue at all. Actually they shoot cleaner then FMJ and I just used a bore snake between stages to be sure no build was happening. Got home and looked at the barrel to find it was mirror polish clean. Just amazing to me and nothing at all like what I read on the internet about no lead in glocks etc. The trick was JB bore paste to remove all traces of copper fouling before shooting lead. My barrel started mirror clean and ended the same way.

Easy run and gun stage. Stupid high primer cost me some time.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnS0_UCDw1o"]Some 21sf love. Norco Feb 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012