30SF Interesting problem methinks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KevinFACE, Feb 26, 2010.

1. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

I THINK this is an ammo related problem, it may not be a problem at all.. I'm not really sure.

I went to the local Bass Pro today and did a CHL Silouhette practice run, range master said I did a perfect score... yay me! Now when I get to qualifying I will feel much more confident!! (now back on topic)

AFTER the CHL thing I popped off a few Federal Hydra-Shok 185 GR. +p (20 to be exact) to see how the ammo functioned in the weapon and I think it performed well...except, during the forward slide to chamber the next round it wouldn't go all the way forward until I let off the trigger... I'm in the habit of holding the trigger (as instructed by the 107 ways to improve book that I read) until I am ready to fire again and then I only let it go far enough for the "click" and then depress the trigger again (step and repeat, etc.) but in some cases the slide would not go all the way forward until the trigger was fully released... is this a potential ammo issue or an issue with the weapon? It never failed to eject, and never fully failed to return to battery, never jammed or anything....but the slide just didn't fully go back to the forward position until the trigger was released...

Any thoughts?

Btw, +p is WICKED fun to shoot, nice muzzle flash and a helluva kick!!

Thank you in advance!

2. pterodon

pterodon

The infamous G30SF failure to return to battery problem. Search the forum for 'FTRB' and prepare yourself for a long read...

3. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Here's the thing though...that ONLY happened on the Hydra-Shok rounds, I guess I forgot to mention that... with the Monarch 230 GR FMJ it functioned properly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Could be the ammo,.....but I'll bet the rear frame rails are lower then the front, the
    trigger bar is a 4256-1 and I'll bet there is a drag mark in the bottom of the slide where
    the trigger bar has been rubbing prior to it depressing the firing pin safety plunger.

Another Glock G30 gone wrong! :faint:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  5. hogarth

hogarth

I have NEVER heard of this problem!:whistling:

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

:rofl:

7. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

It's nothing that a 1000 rounds downrange won't cure. Send Glock a $400 invoice for the breakin ammo.

8. mteagle1

mteagle1

But Glock is perfection!!!!! And this is supposed to be a G30SF anomaly

9. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Stop holding your trigger back...first of all, just reset and look for targets.

You're shooting 45ACP, you don't really need that fancy ammo with the odd shaped tips, FMJ 45ACP is plenty lethal, especially in bulk.

Most of us will shoot thousands of rounds of plinking ammo-- to the point that you know the percentage failure. There's going to be failure- expect it....learn the TAP-RACK-Shoot as part of your drill.

I commend you:wavey:. Lots of civilian folks never shoot their "carry" ammo to the point where they are aware of the failure rate, because its usually very expensive to shoot X-brand +P hollow, controlled expansion, bullets. Most just assume that that extra heavy bullet will perform like their plinking ammo. So if you shoot 20-50 rounds and 3 fail, that is not the ammo for your gun, move on to another brand.

I've been to tactical shooting schools, and that bulk factory ammo (UMC, CCI, Remington) works very well... say 20 people, each person shooting 600-800 rounds/day -- I see surprisingly few failures. The more common ammo failures are those shooting reloads.

10. huntingbuddy

huntingbuddy

Get away from the Hydra-shock ammo first, outdated technoligy. There are much more effective carry ammo on the market today, Fed. HST, Gold-dot, Win. PDX-1, Corbon DPX.
    Stoke it up with good ammo and hang on. IMHO

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

:rofl:

Low rear frame slide rails is THE problem. It's causing the trigger bar to rub on the bottom of the slide.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

2nd Generation Glocks are PERFECTION.

The low rear frame rails are a PROBLEM.:whistling:

13. cciman

cciman MacGyver

... show some pics of the rubbing, I'll show you the same from other Glock models with the same slide marks on the trigger bars.

14. cciman

cciman MacGyver

There is a contingency of posters on this forum who believe that the G30SF and the G36 guns are especially flawed. If you fall into this group, you are hosed, you will never regain your confidence in it, which is what you must have in a carry gun -- sell it, and go buy another compact.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Not all G30 or G30sf have the problem. Show ME pics of other models with the trigger bar rubbing
    on the BOTTOM of the slide! SHOW ME! They have been posted in the FTRTB thread,.....explain the
    low frame rails, and explain how the hejj that's normal. Do a bit of reading, you either wish to ignore
    the facts or,.......simply do not understand the problem and that it ACTUALLY exists!

I have nothing to prove, just simply trying to educate those that do no know.
    Once again,......do a bit of research and get back with me.

16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

No ALL are flawed, many of the newer ones are. You just need to use common sense and know WHAT to look for!

17. voyager4520

voyager4520

You're having a problem of Failure To Return To Battery, which is somewhat documented by the users on this forum. Glock hasn't admitted this is a problem as far as I know, but they rarely admit anything that's not positive. They have however, made a new trigger bar that is supposed to help alleviate this issue. The trigger bar that's likely in your gun now is the 4256-1. The new trigger bar is the 4256-1-.(notice the extra '-' dash at the end).

You could call Glock's warranty service department and tell them what's going on with your gun, or take it to a local Glock Certified Armorer and tell them what's going on with your gun. Taking it to a local Glock Certified Armorer would likely be much cheaper since you'd have to pay to ship the gun to Glock for warranty service.

Or you could take the gun back to the store you bought it from and tell them what's going on.

Don't expect the first or even second person you speak with to be aware of this problem and the new trigger bar. Even if they are aware, once they(the Glock Certified Armorer) look at your gun, they may deem it not necessary to replace the trigger bar with the new one.

18. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Thanks for all the input guys, as far as "getting away from hydra-shok" because of the "old technology"

Why exactly? You're saying this round won't stop a bad guy in his tracks if aimed effectively?

I did check the trigger bar and it is the older one, 4256-1 I may take it up to Bass Pro where I got it and see what they can do for me, if anything. I just spent all day up there for my CHL course (i passed both shooting and written btw)

I don't know of any Glock armorers except for my instructor who is not interested in doing the work in my area, which is Lewisville, TX (20 miles north of Dallas) so I'm kinda stuck I guess, and I don't really want to pay ridiculous shipping and be without it for a long time.

19. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER Guest

so who has the "right kits" 2 make it the right trigger bar set up for the g30sf besides glock ?

20. voyager4520

voyager4520

Hollow point rounds have a "macho" sort of following around them like anything else. "Mine is better than yours", "This one's better than that one". Your Hydra-Shocks will work fine, I have some myself.

Edit: I remember seeing a thread here recently that said one of the online retailers has 4256-1- trigger bars in stock, but I never looked into it that much. I'll look really quick. You should know though, that the new trigger bar doesn't completely alleviate the problems. Some people with the new trigger bar report that they're working perfectly, some still have a gouge in the trigger bar but the pistol functions like it's supposed to, and I think one or two people reported still having FTRB problems.

Edit 2: Apparently glockparts.com has it in stock, seventh one from the top: http://glockparts.com/?mainURL=/store/category/62ne/Trigger_W_Trigger_Bars.html

https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180738
    https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1163086
    Excerpt from above thread: