30S should arrive at Smyrna today.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Scott1970, Jul 6, 2020.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

My G30S has been flawless.

I will count my blessings because I like this gun a lot and will be really dissapointed if it develops problems like yours.

Good luck.

Edit: The four letter prefix on mine is BGHR and it was purchased in February if I remember correctly.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Still curious what ammo you are using.

3. Scott1970

Scott1970

I believe I’ve already mentioned it, but maybe not. Remington and Federal ball. I won’t be wasting any HP ammo on this thing any time soon.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  4. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

Hate to hear that Scott my G-30S has been totally flawless.
    I have mostly shot the 10 round mags, with a few 13 round
    mags from my G-21, and G-41.
    I quit keeping up with it after 1500 rounds.
    I have not been able to catch a 9 round mag yet, everyone either doesn't have any or just sold the only one they had.
    I must admit I have not looked that hard, just asked around at gun shows. I am sure I could find one if I tried.
    Good luck with that new Glock.

5. Bluescot

Bluescot

Sorry to hear about your struggles with the 30S and it makes me glad that when the time came to look at a .45ACP in a Glock format I went with the 30. I don't think that the 30S was around when I bought my 30.

If you arn't too sour on the Glock 45ACP line up perhaps a look at the G30 would fit your needs. Mine has a KKM barrel, night sites, and some springs changed out to my liking and is one of the most accurate handguns in my safe.

6. Scott1970

Scott1970

I've owned a number of 30 model and have never had the first issue. My buddy with the other 30S has also owned the 30 a couple of times with zero issues.

7. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

I really like the 30s, but does anyone have a good picture of how fat the grip is compared to the 19? I’m leaning towards the 36.

My concern is for IWB concealment.

8. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

I can't help with the 19, but here are my 30S and 36. Sorry, but I don't recall how much thicker the 30S is than the 19, but I don't think it is very much.

I definitely notice the 36 being lighter and thinner than the 30S on my hip, and the same with the 36 vs the 19 (back when I had a 19). 4 or so ounces and 3/32" - 1/8" is definitely noticeable to me. I love my 36, and will never, ever part with it. I normally carry my 30S (for capacity), but when I am in a known safe area and carrying all day, then the 36 is on my hip. DSC02871.JPG

DSC02870.JPG

SlickCZ85 likes this.
  9. Christopher67

Christopher67

So this is a 30s specific issue & not a 30 issue, correct?

10. Scott1970

Scott1970

Based on personal experience, and all I’ve read online about 30S problems, the 30 is a solid performer.

Christopher67 and Bluescot like this.
  11. SlickCZ85

SlickCZ85

Ty for the side by side. And sorry to the OP that the 30s isnt working out. Reliability and glock usually are in a joyous harmony. It is super frustrating when lead throwers arent working. Extractor gave out in my Kimber Pro and a new extractor just isnt back to the original perfect reliability.

12. Christopher67

Christopher67

Thanks!

13. Flyfish-mt

Flyfish-mt

Hopefully you get your problem fixed. I’ve had my 30S for about 4yrs (Blue label) with easily over 3k through it and not a single issue using both 9 & 10 round mags.

14. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Can we all look at this scientifically?

The G30 and G30s both use the same RSA (8063), but the slides are a different weight.

I would assume the 30s slide cycles faster. I’m thinking recoil and slide speed has a bearing here.

The 9 and 10 round magazines use the same spring (3552). My hunch is a 9 round magazine would not have this problem because of more spring force when only 1-2 rounds are left to feed.

And last is the most difficult Glock issue I personally experienced with my nineteen Glocks, even Glock Smyrna couldn’t resolve this one.

My early production Gen 5 17 would fail to feed about once every 75 rounds. That wouldn’t be much of an issue except we shoot about 125 rounds in my Action Pistol matches. That 17 was the laughing stock at our matches in 2017.

Well it’s now fixed, by me no less. It was a burr on the lower edge off the firing pin hole that would catch on the upper edge of a case rim.

GRT45 and happyguy like this.
  15. Scott1970

Scott1970

We’ve never tried nine round magazines. All these have been ten rounders. Of course, I wouldn’t consider one less round than a gun is capable of carrying a solution even if it made the four guns cycle properly.

16. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

But that would be a good indication it was spring pressure. I think that cure would be to take magazine springs for a 13 round G21 / G41 magazine and cut them down to G30 length plus 1 more coil.

I had to tinker around with the number of coils in G19 magazines with +5 extensions (for competition).

So right now we have lightly tarnished the 30s reliability reputation. Wouldn’t it be great to actually find the cure.

EDIT: Do you have any G21 mags to try in your 30s?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  17. Scott1970

Scott1970

I have a couple 21 mags lying around, but I’ve not tried them.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  18. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Have you both contacted Glock now after receiving these two replacement guns now, and if so what has been their thoughts that you BOTH are still seeing issues?

I also just had a thought in reviewing some of the latest developments, crazy as this idea might sound -

Any of us and yourselves who have ever owned a Glock 30 of any model KNOW the G30 mags are notoriously stiff when new (NOT a newsflash here). I KNOW you have said a number of the mags you have used, those that came with the guns and the ones that Glock swapped out for you, were all NEW when you are having the issue that you are.

Have you tried a G30 mag that has been left fully LOADED for a number of weeks or so (it took me MONTHS leaving a 9 round G30 mag loaded in my safe to ease it up) to let it "loosen up" a bit so it's not quite as stiff as they are when new to see if that helps?

I know the issue you are seeing is not until the mag is almost empty, but I'm just thinking that maybe, MAYBE this might help ???????

I mean I was to the point with all of my G30 mags (I have also now owned SIX various G30 models over the years BTW - Gen 3, G30SF, Gen 4) the only way I could loosen them up some was to fully load them and then leave them one at a time until broken in actually inserted in the gun in the safe until they broke in until where I wanted them? Now granted this is obviously easier when you have multiple G30s to do so with, but you get my point?

Granted also MY issue was loosening them up just to make them easier to load, but none the less knowing how damn STIFF they are new compared to other Glock mags, I can't help but wonder at this point if this could possibly be a contributing factor with all else you have been through????

Only other thing that makes sense is there is something internally wrong inside of both guns that makes sense? But again, given all the G30S and others out there that have not seen this issue, it is certainly baffling also?? Lord knows as I said, I can attest to at least 6 models in three different configurations I have never seen such crazy consistent issue in. :(

Eric

19. FoatieFiveACP

FoatieFiveACP

^^ It is puzzling and troubling.

Come to think of it, I think my G30S has done what the OP described. Once, and maybe twice. I chalked it up to limpwristing on my part, thinking that my hand was tired and I was getting complacent.

Regarding the stiff mags, I have yet to ever be able to install round #10 in any G30S mag, no matter how hard I press. It simply would not fit, as there was not enough space. Like trying to fit 10 lb. of sh.. in a 5 lb. bucket. I think that is a design flaw. I remedied that by removing the follower, and sanding about 1/16" off of the very bottom of it. I have done that on all of my G30S mags, and it solves the 10th round fitting problem. I think that letting the mags set there fully loaded for a while probably helps some with the problem, but doesn't really solve it. If it remains quite difficult to insert the final round, then that is a design or manufacturing problem.

I don't recall if the problems that I mentioned having once or twice were before or after me reducing the height of the followers, as that was quite a while ago.

20. chemboy

chemboy

Interesting thread. My own 30S, though I have less than 2K rds through her has been very reliable-this with the 10rd mags. I’ve never tried the 9 shot mags and don’t plan to.
    Hope everything turns out good for the OP.

happyguy likes this.