GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Previously 89109
245 Posts
Probably an overreaction but at this point i would request a new gun. No matter what happens going forward as a primary carry, i would never be 100% comfortable with it and the the issue would always be in the back of my mind. Unless they could explain with certainty what caused the issue.

·
Infidel :)
3,661 Posts
Probably an overreaction but at this point i would request a new gun. No matter what happens going forward as a primary carry, i would never be 100% comfortable with it and the the issue would always be in the back of my mind. Unless they could explain with certainty what caused the issue.
I agree and would do the same. I would never be comfortable with it for any defensive use. :(

That or dump it for something else or another one, and just take the loss for peace of mind.

I did this on Gen 4 G30 I just could not get the trigger right on (NY1 + "-" factory connector) that I was happy with as I have all my other Glocks (20 + over the years). Dumped it and took the hit on it, now I have two of the last regular Gen 3 G30 models in existence I found new I am very happy with now. :)

Can't put a price on peace of mind and never having to wonder.........................

20161219_154133.jpg

Good luck -

·
Daca is caca
3,478 Posts
Reactions: chemboy and Paul53

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That could be a possibility if the issue isn’t resolved. I have no problem sending it back until they are tired of seeing it.

If they do “fix” it, it will be a lot of range trips before I’ll be comfortable carrying this thing.

I had intentions of qualifying with it, but who knows whether it will be working properly or will be down in Smyrna when quals are scheduled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had 2 G30S guns and ended up selling both. I was so excited when they came out with this model that I bought an early model, had feed problems, sold it and bought another one a few years later. It had the same problem. Both guns ran the 9 & 10 round magazines fine, but was very inconsistent with 13 round magazines, which I wanted to carry as back-ups. I could never get 100 rounds through them without a failure, so I lost confidence. I tried different magazines, followers, stronger mag springs, new return spring assembly, but nothing would fix the problem.
I read somewhere that someone had the same issues and tried the 30S slide on a G30 SF Gen 4 frame and it worked fine. Maybe if Glock comes out with the 30S in Gen 5, I'll give it one more try. I really love .45ACP!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That could be a possibility if the issue isn’t resolved. I have no problem sending it back until they are tired of seeing it.

If they do “fix” it, it will be a lot of range trips before I’ll be comfortable carrying this thing.

I had intentions of qualifying with it, but who knows whether it will be working properly or will be down in Smyrna when quals are scheduled.
Any resolution yet ?

I think they should just replace your pistol , & use yr old one as a tester to figure out the issue.

I'm not confident 'they will tho' but you never know .

·
Registered
27,184 Posts
... My friend’s 30S twice ejected the tenth round unfired with the slide locked back. Mine never did that.
Just FWIW, a live round ejection is a magazine issue, in some manner. Might be a follower issue, and it might be a liner/mag lip spread issue. Having listened to a Glock tech discuss live-round stove pipes possibly being caused by the mag's steel liner being formed a bit too wide at the lips, it's not unthinkable that a liner/lip tolerance issue could be involved.

After all, nose-dives can be caused by liner/lips that were formed too tightly, and nose-up live round stove pipes can occur if the lips are too wide.

Some years ago a Glock tech told me to just return any mags with which I was having live-round stove pipes, and they'd replace them. In my case it was happening with a G27, which had never exhibited that particular problem until I bought a couple mags that had the short-lived #7 .40 followers. Live round stove pipes galore. Glock sent me #8 followers and the problem stopped occurring, so it apparently wasn't the liner/lip tolerance in that case. (The tech told me if the #8 followers didn't resolve the problem, they'd simply replace the mags, but I didn't need to return them.)

Also, if I recall correctly, Glock first created the idea of the 30S at the behest of LAPD, for one of their units. It caught on and became a cataloged model. Like Mike-M, I've not heard of any problem with the 30S having acquired a "reputation for problems".

Now, while an occasional magazine manufacturing QC issue isn't an unknown thing in the firearms industry, I'd not be surprised if feeding issues related more to something to do with RSA manufacturing and component tolerances might come along in some batches. Not often, mind you, but now and again. Just like it's not been unknown for magazine springs to occasionally have materials, spec or heat treat issues if a mistake during manufacturing isn't caught and slips out the door.

Let us know when the 30S returns. Run some duty or training ammo through it (if your agency doesn't use the same ammo for both duty & training/quals). Satisfy yourself that it will run normally, so you can start carrying it off-duty. :)

The 30S, with its slim slide, is arguably what Glock ought to have produced as the standard G30, from the get-go. ;)

Reactions: chemboy

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Both guns are at Smyrna as of last Tuesday. Our armorer has spoken with a gentleman down there who said they’d be fixed or replaced. I’m okay with either as long as it functions properly.

And, so far, Glock has paid for all shipping both times and has given us each two free mags.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
A call was made to Smyrna today. Glock says they’ve shot hundreds of rounds through the two guns and cannot replicate any malfunctions in either. I reckon I need to find their supplier of magic bullets.

Anyhow, Glock is replacing the guns that don’t function for us and don’t malfunction for them. They are waiting to receive parts from overseas, and we should have them later next week.

·
Huckleberry
565 Posts
A call was made to Smyrna today. Glock says they’ve shot hundreds of rounds through the two guns and cannot replicate any malfunctions in either. I reckon I need to find their supplier of magic bullets.

Anyhow, Glock is replacing the guns that don’t function for us and don’t malfunction for them. They are waiting to receive parts from overseas, and we should have them later next week.
How do you feel about that response? I think it's pretty good and I hope you have no further issues moving forward.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
How do you feel about that response? I think it's pretty good and I hope you have no further issues moving forward.
Im fine with the replacement, but I’m scratching my head as to how those guns suddenly perform properly for hundreds of rounds when they’ve struggled to make it through a single mag during the five hundred plus rounds we’ve put through each of them. Maybe the job makes me skeptical, but why replace two guns which have no problems whatsoever?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Don’t know? maybe to make sure you we’re happy so you did not go online and tell a bunch of folks your Glock’s didn’t work. :dunno:

;)

Glock couldn't have been any better during this entire episode. Lemons happen, sometimes with sequential serial numbers, but Glock has been super to deal with, so no complaints from me. I had five hundred plus rounds through this one, so I'm confident the 30S will be one of my favorite .45s when this is all said and done. I'm crossing my fingers this next one will make it to qualifications at work.

·
Huckleberry
565 Posts
I never mentioned that mine finally did come in a month or so ago. Haven't shot it yet (one of two unfired Glocks). I have several unfired firearms. Not saving them for anything, just haven't gotten around to it. It's an illness.

·
Infidel :)
3,661 Posts
I never mentioned that mine finally did come in a month or so ago. Haven't shot it yet (one of two unfired Glocks). I have several unfired firearms. Not saving them for anything, just haven't gotten around to it. It's an illness.
Don't feel bad, I have the same issue. :(

·
Registered
CLM #38
10,289 Posts
Glock couldn't have been any better during this entire episode. Lemons happen, sometimes with sequential serial numbers, but Glock has been super to deal with, so no complaints from me. I had five hundred plus rounds through this one, so I'm confident the 30S will be one of my favorite .45s when this is all said and done. I'm crossing my fingers this next one will make it to qualifications at work.

Please keep us updated. I have been following this thread with great interest.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
They said we should have our replacements by the end of this week. It didn’t happen. The parts still haven’t arrived. No big deal, I am currently distracted by another handgun which actually is in the mail.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Glock just called. The two replacement guns will be here tomorrow.

They forgot to salvage my night sights and will now be overnighting a new set to me.

·
Huckleberry
565 Posts
Sweet. Hopefully everything's good to go moving forward. Still haven't shot mine yet but hoping all's good.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Glock just called. The two replacement guns will be here tomorrow.

They forgot to salvage my night sights and will now be overnighting a new set to me.
You got a lemon, you got explanations that are head-scratchers, and have had some gun problems. But I think your attitude is spot on. Glock paid to try to resolve. Listened to your perspective. Paid for shipping, replaced the guns, and made up for a mistake (keeping your night sights) by sending some new ones to you. I'd say you had a lemon, followed by a good "honest effort" attempt to resolve, and a good level of customer support. Not perfect, but the end result was a good path for you.

Good for Glock for setting you back on the right path. Hopefully you love your new gun(s)! Good luck!

Reactions: Scott1970
41 - 60 of 107 Posts