Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

I was actually surprised how the Glock 30s compared to the 45 shield. For those curious, I’ll attempt to attach photos from my phone.
Airsoft gun Gun accessory Handgun holster Revolver Trigger

Flush mag 6 round mag in the 45 shield and flush 9 round mag in the 30S.

Flush 6 round mag in the shield, 10 round mag in the 30s.
Footwear Boot Shoe Synthetic rubber Snow boot

I thought this was interesting. The last 2 pictures are the 45 shield with the 7 round mag compared to the 30S with the 13 round Glock 21 mag. Granted the shield is thinner but I’m really impressed how versatile the 30S actually is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thanks for the comparison Frank. I have a G21 and 30S. I am totally satisfied with the 30S and it carries and shoots well for me. I can't say anything bad about the shield, but I know my Glocks and I like being able to use the same mags and the extra rounds if needed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comparison Frank. I have a G21 and 30S. I am totally satisfied with the 30S and it carries and shoots well for me. I can't say anything bad about the shield, but I know my Glocks and I like being able to use the same mags and the extra rounds if needed.
I agree, I don’t have anything bad to say about the shield as well. I’m somewhat surprised how long the grip is with the 7 round mag. It’s close to the same size as the 30S with a 13round mag in it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a better comparison would be the .45 Shield to a Glock 36.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
True, don’t own a 36 though. As of now, I still plan to use the 30S as my primary off duty carry. When I actually had them side by side I was surprised how compact the 30S actually is. (Shield is extremely easy to carry as well, not taking anything away from the shield).

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have both the G30SF, and a Shield .45. The G30 is a good CCW for serious work, as it holds 10+1, and my full sized mags for the G41 will fit it as well. I find myself using the Shield more and more for "casual" carry, e.g. for when I need to be more discrete, or to have something that slips easily into a jacket pocket or something. It holds 7 rounds with one in the chamber, and I did get the one with the thumb safety as it is likely to get handled more during the course of the day and riding in a pocket. I like both.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I have both as well. The G30s is a sweet shooter and very accurate. The Shield 45 is too, and the thinner slide makes it more comfortable to carry. I like them both and don’t think I can pick one over the other.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was surprised when looking at the top of the slides comparing my friends 30 to my 45 shield that the 30 looked "thick as a brick". Regardless of length of grip - the 30 seemed HUGE in comparison. Compared to my full size 1911 - the 45 Shield is small and slender to carry - the 30 is like carrying a bigger bulkier gun.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hopefully, I will be moving to a free state soon. Will be nice to take advantage of standard cap mags again.
If/when I move I may take advantage and potentially own other guns that I would normally have to pay a premium for.
As you and others know, Glock pistols just work, and the compatibility especially when it comes to standard cap mags and low-cap.

I recently bought a couple used G20/G29 mags. The G20 mags will be used when I get a conv. barrel for my G21. But, it is kinda sad that since I am limited to 10-rd, to think about the fact that the G29 mag holds just ans many rounds as the full-size mags.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Thanks for posting. I know that Carolina Gunrunners posted a few pics at their site, but good comparisons have been hard to find.

I did a mock-up comparison of my own using a shield 9 stand-in based on the Shield 9 vs. 45 pics that showed the .45 being about 1 baseplate's thickness taller than the 9mm. That led me to this simulation comparing a S&W4513TSW, the G30S, and the simulated Shield .45:

Footwear Riding boot Boot

Footwear Shoe

Although, isn't there a slight thickness difference between the two Shields also?

So, thanks for posting an actual comparison. I like the idea of the Shield .45, but I tend to favor a shorter grip height over a thinner frame, so I'll likely stick with my G30S (when I want more than my G43 offers).

Of course, some days, I think I need an XDS 4.0" .45. It sacrifices capacity, but it has the narrow width and the shorter grip height.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I was actually interested in the size comparison for the G30. I was actually hoping i could get a little more info from you guys. So for comparison sake i have a G23. I love the size of that gun. I'm fairly new to the Glock world. I noticed on the Glock website they do not offer a 45 in the frame size as the 23 but i also noticed that the 30S is a little bigger then the 26 subcompact. So I was just wondering, is the 30 a mix between the compact and subcompact frame? Or how would you guys compare it to the G23/19 frame size?

·
Registered
41 Posts
View attachment 381515
I was actually surprised how the Glock 30s compared to the 45 shield. For those curious, I’ll attempt to attach photos from my phone.
View attachment 381516
View attachment 381517
Flush 6 round mag in the shield, 10 round mag in the 30s. View attachment 381519 View attachment 381520

I thought this was interesting. The last 2 pictures are the 45 shield with the 7 round mag compared to the 30S with the 13 round Glock 21 mag. Granted the shield is thinner but I’m really impressed how versatile the 30S actually is.
I like the G30S over the Xds45 after having shot both, I bought the G30S. I find the Glock shoots to POA and has a soft recoil and I also like the larger grip and that it holds 10 rounds. I found the Xds snappy and not as accurate as the Glock, it also only held 6 rounds. Just my opinion, but I chose the Glock.

·
Premium Member
22,844 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I was actually interested in the size comparison for the G30. I was actually hoping i could get a little more info from you guys. So for comparison sake i have a G23. I love the size of that gun. I'm fairly new to the Glock world. I noticed on the Glock website they do not offer a 45 in the frame size as the 23 but i also noticed that the 30S is a little bigger then the 26 subcompact. So I was just wondering, is the 30 a mix between the compact and subcompact frame? Or how would you guys compare it to the G23/19 frame size?
The 30 is kind of an in between, as the frame is more of a sub compact, but the longer slide is more in compact territory. The 10 round mag puts it close in size to the 23.

If you want a “.45” the size of the 23, the GLOCK 38 in.45 GAP is the same frame as the 23.

·
Registered
714 Posts
View attachment 381515
View attachment 381516
View attachment 381517
Flush 6 round mag in the shield, 10 round mag in the 30s. View attachment 381519 View attachment 381520

View attachment 381515
View attachment 381516
View attachment 381517

Frank:thanks for your pictures-I'm a Glock guy,do however hear good things about the Shield.My next purchase will be a G30 or G30s-that's just Me.In fact in retrospect I love my G43 but should have purchased the 30 1st-Oh well it'll be just one more Glock for Me-It's out there on the radar.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts