close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.308 vs. 30.06

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Counter Strike, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Counter Strike

Counter Strike

Looking at a Browning BAR Lightweight strictly for hunting whitetail deer here in So. Alabama (and maybe one day elk in Colorado, maybe). I've done a little research so far and here's what I've come up with:
    1) Ballistically, there's not a dime's worth of difference in the th two. The .06 runs a tad faster downrange.

2) For reeaaalllly long shots, the .308 may have an edge due to smaller case volume yielding more consistent powder ignition and thus enhanced accuracy. This seems to me to be offset by the fact that, for a given bullet weight, the .308 has a bit more drop than the .06. More importantly, 75 - 100 yards is the average rifle shot here. 200 yards may happen, but only on a power line or big ole food plot. I don't plan on shooting past 250 in any event.

3)The .06 is loaded in a wider variety of loads perhaps giving it more versatility. On the other hand, surplus .308 ammo is readily available at a fraction of the cost of .06 loads. (I do not now, nor do I ever plan to, handload rifle rounds).

4) The .308 may shoot a bit softer (less recoil) than the .06. I'm not particularly recoil-sensitive, but I'm perfectly happy to take a little less punishment.

I'm leaning toward the .06 mainly for versatility's sake. I'd like to hear what some of you think. FWIW, I've already seen the post from snipercounty.com (or wherever) touting the .308 as a far superior round compared to the .06. I'm not sure the application behind the argument applies to resonable hunting shots.

2. EOD3

EOD3

I'd take the 06. The BAR light in 308 has a 1/12 twist which is a little slow for heavy bullets >180 grain. The 06 has 1/9 (I think) which will spin a 220 grain slug just fine. You're right about there being little difference, but that "maybe elk" would push me up to the 06.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I think the .308 is just fine for your primary use. The "maybe" elk hunt doesn't override the "every year" whitetail hunting, in my book. The '06 really shines over the .308 when it comes to heavier bullets, and you don't need anything heavier than 150 grain (maybe lighter) for Alabama whitetails.

In the gun you're considering, the relative accuracy of the cartridges will be about equal. The .308's superiority is only detectable in match-grade guns, with match-grade ammo, under fairly well controlled conditions. Field/hunting conditions, a two-piece-stock semiauto rifle, and hunting ammo will probably not produce any braggin'-size groups (not on a regular basis, anyway).

Your range limitations are right on the money, IMO. For that "maybe" elk, load the .308 with premium bullets, and it'll do as well as any .30-06 has done in the past 40 years with non-premium bullets (and that's a LOT of elk transformed into steaks).

Stalking a little closer than a guy with a Magnum rifle wouldn't hurt, either...

4. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

IMO the 308 is a great North American hunting caliber, If you reload the 308 (7.62x55) there is no game out there that you can not take and I can load to 06s specks.
    Last year I took my father out deer hunting and he took his 7mm mag and I took my 308 with 168 grain HPBTM and we both brought home deer except mine had a big hole out one side of it, remember it is the energy of the bullet that kills and this year I'm using a 165 grain game king so I don't have holes. Shooter abilty is the key to a one shot one kill and the nice thing about the 06 & 08 is that you can get ammo anywhere close to the grain you are shooting so eather way the 06 or the 08 will make a nice addition to your gun safe. Sniper

5. Guest

I would get the .308 there is no game in North America that can not be taken with the .308, I have several .308's an 06 and a .270, I will take the .308 above them all everytime.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Killing a deer @ ranges under 100 yds. is so easy, that there ought to be a federal law that only handguns should be used at that range! :)

If you plan on doing any "fun" shooting (off the bench, for example) you'll find the .308 a lot more fun than the '06. I guarantee you there's nothing in AL, including uncivilized savage DemocRATs, that won't fall to a .308. As a matter of fact, a .243 will do anything you'll ever want to do in AL.

7. Counter Strike

Counter Strike

EOD3 Said:
    Your specs are correct (actually the .06 is 1/9.5). This is precisely the definitive type of insight I was hoping for. However, as others pointed out, here in AL I'll likely be using a much lighter bullet. How much diffeence will the rate of twist make in the 110 gr. - 150 gr. range?

Walter Said:
    Gee Thanks! Just what I need, another option to consider. The thing that's is so aggravating is that you're right! Still, the .06 is the stand-by even here in AL. I don't see myself doing much benchrest shooting with a BAR. As DJN pointed out, a match gun the BAR ain't. Thoughtful post, by the way, DJN.

Thanks guys. Anything else?

8. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Thanks guys. Anything else? [/B][/QUOTE]
    Ya 308 is cheaper to shoot and you can get surplus ammo real cheap like 160 rounds for $20.00 and it is eazer on your sholder and you might want to look into the 7mm08 it is hell on deer.

9. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

10. m65swede

m65swede

Though I largely agree with DJ Niner on the general effectiveness of the .308, the .30-06 is clearly the first choice here, based on ammo availability alone. I'm not bashing the .308; I own and shoot a couple of them myself.

Suitable .30-06 hunting ammo is much more widely available over most of the US. When ammo companies develop new bullets and load combinations, they nearly always begin with a .30-06 version. The same can't be said for the .308. Many gun shops have gotten to the point where they only stock military surplus .308 ammo.

The arguments about match-grade accuracy are valid, but are acheived with match ammo. No responsible hunter would ever use that stuff on game animals! Nor would you use any military surplus crap, either.

Recoil is a non-factor in the Browning BAR. My BAR is easily the softest recoilling .30-06 I own. Everyone who tries my BAR applauds its light recoil. I doubt there would be any perceived difference between the .30-06 and .308 BAR's.

Interestingly, Winchester (as in .308 Winchester) lists 9 offerings of .308 ammo - 147 grain to 180 grain bullets. They offer 16 loads for the .30-06 - 125 grain to 180 grain bullets. :)

Swede

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

People make too big a deal out of this.

1. Accuracy. No practical difference, but their is theoretically better accuracy with .308. Only a world-class competition shooter could notice the difference, if it exists at all.
    2. Recoil. The .308 has slightly less recoil.
    3. Power. The .30-06 has slightly more power.
    4. Availability. The .30-06 generally has a wider selection of factory loadings available, but there's plenty of .308, too. .308 more likely to be found as cheap surplus.
    5. Hand-loading. .30-06 allows more versatility with it's larger case capacity and ability to handle larger bullets.
    6. .308 allows a shorter action rifle.

Which is better? No such answer. There are always trade-offs with any round. If you gain one advantage, you lose a different one.

For only deer and target shooting, the edge goes to .308. For general all-purpose, the edge goes to .30-06.

12. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I asked the same kind of question and will be going .308 win shortly.

13. BJSM16

BJSM16

I hunt elk in CO. I have shot two: one with a 30-06 and the other with a 284. Both were at about 250-300 yards. Only needed on shot each. The 06 went straight through using winchester 150gr silver balistic tip and the 284 winchester 150gr(I think) power point almost went all the way trough. It had about 2" more to go. Either or will work just fine. Brandon.

14. hoagie55

hoagie55

Ever give a thought to 26.06? It will do just fine on any deer you ahve down there in AL. It is a hot round, shoots flat and reach out very far!

15. Counter Strike

Counter Strike

Hoagie,
    I've never heard of a 26.06. I'm sure it is a fine round, but one reason the 30.06 is so attractive is the wide availability of loadings and versatility of the round. I've got enough "oddball" gear that I don't need any more.
    I think Mr. Deerslayer summed it up in his last post and since this will be the only centerfire rifle in the arsenal (save for a 30.30) I think general purpose is the way to go. As WalterGA pointed out, the .243 might be all the cartridge I'll ever need, but I've always wanted to go to Alaska.....;8

16. Rabon

Rabon

The BAR lightweights use an alloy reciever which may or may not matter to you.

17. WFR

WFR

My boss just returned from Idaho and he dropeed a nice 5 x 5 bull elk with a .308 loaded with a 180 gr Nosler Partition! One shot at roughly 25-30 yards. Elk went 10 yards after the shot and DROPPED!
    Nuff said! With proper shot placement it will handle elk.

18. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Amen brother! The 308 was designed to compete with the '06 ballastically and it does in a shorter action and less powder.

If you reload, the 308 CAN be boosted up to and past factory '06 loadings.

For me, the 308 will be my first bolt action rifle.

19. chucha

chucha

The 30.06 and the .308 are almost identical twins. The difference is not so much ballistics as case length, hence rifle actions. When the people start yelling about which is "BEST", you hear things about one cartridge being cheaper than another. What is that all about? We go from performance to affordability! Too damn many engineers and bean-counters eh?

I personally have an M1 Garand, I also personally belive the .06 is the best all-around cartridge available, I also personally know Jack ****! So there!

taa. cha;f

20. Dave S

Dave S

AR-10s come in .308! ;a

....and I own a few configurations. ;j

Dave S

and I'm waiting on Armalite to come out with .300 RSUM.....
    ....... ;x to me....no matter what day that is.