close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.308 pistol recoil...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by f1b32oPTic, Nov 11, 2003.

1. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

has anyone fired a .308 handgun before..like a tc encore or a xp100?

i was wondering about the recoil..it seems like it would be fierce...

discuss!

2. noway

noway

Yes. I fired a savage striker in the 308 rifle caliber and the recoil wasn't all that bad. With the barrel length, heavy scope and fit of the pistol grip, the recoil was controllable.

3. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

what would you alike it to..a .44mag round or a .454 casull

4. noway

noway

Don't understand the question, but if you are comparing it aganist recoil, they both are almost similiar in the longer barrel Pistol Guns with my best guess of the 454casull being the harder kicker out of the 3 ( 308win/44mag/4545casull ).

The hotter the load the more recoil that they will create, also these handguns in the typical 10"-16" bbl lengths, creates alot of blast which is also confused as recoil.

btw: I shot a 454casull in a Ruger SRH and it was a pain to shoot.The grips where way to hard for the load that I was try to control and when you are pushing a 300gr load at or near 1800fps, the recoil really jumps out at you. The 44mag could be best described as a "soft ***** cat".

Noway ( like my login name ) will I buy a 454casull handgun. The recoil alone is one factor and everything that I want to hunt can be down with something less like a 44mag. This caliber alone generates chamber pressures that equal or excceed most rifles. IIRC, somewhere in the 60-65k psi.

Don't get me wrong, the 454casull is not a bad caliber. It was really design straight up as a Big Game Hunting Caliber and for the right folks it fit's that job very very good.

5. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

yeah i was asking for a recoil comparison...thanks for the quick reply...ive started to really like the hs precision handrifles

6. Sgt

Sgt

I hunt with two handguns. A Taurus Raging Bull 6.5" with ported barrel, and a Magnum Research Lone Eagle with 14" ported barrel. The Taurus is .454 Cassull and the Lone Eagle is 30-06.

The 30-06 shooting 150 grn. bullets recoils less than the Taurus shooting 300 grn bullets.

Depends on what you want to hunt. Best three shot group with the lone eagle was 3/4" at 100 yrds. from a bench. Taurus was 1" at 50 yrds.

Both are a "blast" to shoot.

7. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

not that it really applies to your choices but I've shot a TC encore 45/70 a bunch of times. I found that ammo selection makes a huge difference (just call me Captn Obvious ;) )

300 grain vanilla commercial stuff was actually really fun and plenty accurate out 100 yards

My brother in laws *warm* hand loads were an exercise in torture. ;g

8. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i want to use it for deer hunting in N.C. and where i live, the average deer is small..i really could get away with a .243 but i think if i had the .308 and a large deer came into my shooting lane, knockdown power and killing efficiency would be one thing i would not have to think about in those critical few seconds when your heart is racing...just aim....and squeeze PAAAAYOW!!!!!!

9. EOD3

EOD3

I shoot an Encore in .308 from time to time. The recoil isn’t too bad but the muzzle blast will get your attention. I tend to load lighter (125 to 150 grain) bullets, I don’t think you’ll care for the 180 grain ammo.

10. mudfootball

mudfootball

I fired a freinds t/c contender and i must say it was more than I am up to. Maybe I'm a puss. I dont care. The first time i shot the thing that weird trigger guard cut my thumb open some how. Second time it got worse, and third I wasnt even thinking about the target. that gun was around a 14" barrel no scope yet. A little more of my two cents,,,, I did shoot one in 30-30 and that was more controllable. Not as flat shooting im sure but more to my liking.
    kt

11. whizz

whizz

I fired a strange gun in .308 with a 1911 frame and a single shot top which I belive was made by Pachmeyer. Did not find the recoil uncontrollable but rather snappy and directed straight into the palm of my hand.

12. Guest

I fired a Magnum Research Lone Eagle in .308 once. Didn't care for it at all. I went back to shooting my nice, light recoiling .44 mag.

13. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i think ill be looking at the .243

i read some articles on .308 handguns and they just done sound too fun for me...i can handle a .243 no problem

14. 357glocker

357glocker

f1b32optic,
    Have you chosen the type of handgun you want, (T/C ect.) I have a 14" 30-30 contender that is comparable to 44 mags recoil when shooting the 150 gr loads. It will provide that 30 cal penetration that the 243 might not produce out of a handgun. I've never shot a handgun chambered in 243 but I would imagine something like shooting a stout 357 mag. Let us know what you decide.

15. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i was thinking about an HS precision (xp100 style handgun) in .243
    mainly because an awkward shot with a rifle that i was not able to pull off out of my stand a few evenings ago. the deer in N.C. are for the most part small on the eastern part of the state and could easily be put down with this combo...i think with a 100gr. projectile i could easly have made this kill i was talking about.
    it will definately be a next season purchase.

i also think that this rig would be alot of fun on the rifle range as well, where i spend most of my shooting time.