308 help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Trench Sweeper, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

Just a run down on what I am doing before the problem. I am using a Dillon 550B for my reloading. Obviously using the Dillon dies and such. What I am loading is some of the pulled military surplus AP 308. According to my scale they weigh 164 grains. I was going by the closest thing I could find in the 49th Lymans reloading guide.

Here is the problem. When chambering the rounds in my semi-auto some of the rounds don't want to extract. They do fine when fired but if trying to unload the gun with one in the chamber is the problem. What is frustrating to me is not every round is like this. Some are fine so well... you get the idea.

My round is per the info they have in terms of overall length. Which is actually a little shorter than the mil surplus loads I was shooting through it that function fine with no problems extracting to clear the gun without shooting it. So I don't think that is the problem. The crimp looks ok to me but could find no info on the measurement that it is supposed to be.

I took some out this morning and shot them and they shot fine. Very accurate and such but the not wanting to extract has me puzzled. :dunno: Can anyone help me out? What should I check measurements etc.?

Thanks for any help:wavey:

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Are you neck sizing or FL sizing?

Jack

3. fredj338

fredj338

Did you check to make SURE the bullet is not engaging the rifling? OAL in a manual is a guide, what was the OAL? It still has to fit your rifle/chamber. Does the bullet of a hand ejected round show rifling marks anywhere? The only other issue would be a tight chamber/neck. You shouldn't even have to crimp for reliable feeding, but not a bad idea. Are you using commercial or mil spec brass? Comm cases are quite a bit thinner. Just some thoughts. I load 308 for my M1 on a 550B, RCBS dies, but the proceedure is the same.
    Oh, Jack made a good point. Make sure that sizing die is screwed all the way down for FL sizing. Semiuatos just don't have the camming force to seat a slightly oversize round or a round that doesn't have the shoulder pushed back enough.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

I had a problem like that one time. I got a set of small base dies from RCBS and never had the problem again. I also agree with see if the bullet is engaging the lands. You might have to seat a bit deeper.

5. dudley

dudley

Small Base dies here too

6. Trench Sweeper

Well, I have about three threads showing on the die. Any less and the round gets stuck (to the point that I pulled the base off one round trying to get it out.) Overall length in the book is 2.78 I am at 2.79 can't get much closer. Plus the projectile is seated in the casing deeper than factory stuff is.

7. n2extrm

n2extrm

What are you lubeing the cases with prior to sizing?

Do you have a case gauge?

You say pulled surplus what is that exactly? Did you pull a bullet and reuse everthing except the powder?

What rifle are you loading for?

I loaded 168 SMK in LC brass with dillon dies on a 550 for quite some time in bolt guns with no problems. Yes I am aware of the caming force diffrence, but full sized is full sized.

Do you know how to check the jump to your lands in your rifle with the bullets you are using?

8. fredj338

fredj338

Not sure what that means. Raise the ram, screw the sizing die down all the way until it touches. Use a good case lube when sizing, use enough, the case should never stick. If your OAL is 2.79" it should be ok, but check by making a dummy round, color the nose w/ a sharpie & chamber it. If it has any rifling marks, it needs to go a bit deeper. Sounds like you aren't quite sizing enough. Small base dies are also a good deal for semiautos, as ahmed & dudley noted.

9. n2extrm

n2extrm

I think fred is right on here. My guess is you are not sizing the brass enough due to a lack of lubricant. Even though the Dillon dies are carbide you must lube them when loading rifle. Those Dillon dies should make the brass fit perfectly. The small base dies work, but you shouldn't need them with the Dillon dies adjusted properly.

10. Trench Sweeper

Got it working fellas thanks for the help. Fred was onto something. Teaches me not to skimp on lube. Even when just trying to set up the round. The basics of it really are the most important

11. creophus

creophus Born Again

What kinda rifle you using? I had a similar problem with my DPMS 308. Small base dies fixed some of the problem but not all of it.

Also, what brass are you using? I had a bunch of known once fired (by me) brass that I thought would be PERFECT for accurate loads. I couldn't get any of them to chamber in and out of the gun without a problem.