.308 AR Conundrum...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Dragonscout, Apr 5, 2020.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

My Ruger SR762 is the softest shooting semi auto 308 I have. It is piston operated and has an adjustable gas regulator. It easily shoots less than 1 moa, uses regular AR10/Magpul mags. I won mine in a contest but would consider buying one after shooting it for awhile if I hadn't. Killed a few deer with it as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

l
    LMT is 2500 officer price.
    I would look at the Larue Ultimate upper deal , I have a whole rifle and suppressor coming in under 1900. and its a Larue based off the M110 platform

3. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

I purchased a Fierce Firearms bolt rifle last year that truly is capable of 1/2 MOA. It has been eye opening to me because it really extends my range capability. Since the 308 can easily be a long distance cartridge, I would suggest you default to the platform that is the most accurate. Doubtful you will get 1/2 inch with hunting ammo, but I would think 1 inch is possible.

4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I own a sig 716.. and s&w sport 308 ar and the smith standard model 10. AR. Would you recommend an enhanced bolt for any or all of them ?

Does the enhanced bolt get me durability or reliability or accuracy ?? Or a combination ?? The 716 sig bolt looks pretty nice for only a 2500 dollar AR in 308. Let me know what you think and what brand enhanced bolt I would want. Thanks

5. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

Enhanced bolts are for durability and they should not affect accuracy. I can not tell if the SIG has an enhanced bolt, but reading through some specs and reviews, it is not mentioned. The S&W does not. Enhanced bolts last significantly longer, reduce primer flow and extraction issues. They are made of harder steel, fully supported extractor face and radiused corners. It will allow you to shoot a wider variety of .308 ammo (which is higher pressure than 7.62 Nato) without worry. Some have dual ejectors, which I like.

It is one of those things that I won't go without. But if you have a functional rifle that is not tearing up your brass, I don't see a whole lot of reason to go buy one until your current one fails on a plinker. If it is for defense, hunting or competition, yes, I would get one. JP is kind of the standard and theirs is just over $200. LMTs is a great choice at $185 or so. The Lantac is not as good and is over $300.

6. dosei

dosei

The AR is an erector-set platform...just build it yourself. That way, you get exactly what you want.

7. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

This is why G_d invented the M14 / M1A civilian version

Don't believe those that claim not accurate at long range. Tell that to the guys at camp Perry that cleaned targets at 600 yards.

Based on the same design principal as AK and the v Garand and the Galil, so you'd be comfortable with break down and maintenance

Well within your budget too

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The M1A is a maintenance nightmare to try to keep shooting accurately. Yes, it can be done but it’s also expensive......was too big of a pain for me to deal with.

An AR platform will shoot better, longer and cheaper.

9. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Hmm... I own one, shoot it in competitions, earned a bronze, maintain it and can't say I agree. Takes very little maintenance. And yes, I also have an AR that I'll be shooting in high power. I agree an AR has more accuracy out of the box. It's just the M1A is designed for the 308 , built robust, and so damn charismatic looking ;-)

10. wyntrout

wyntrout

I put together a complete upper and a complete lower from PSA. I first got the 20" .308 upper and it was just too heavy. I ordered the 18" M-4 looking upper and it was much better. I had to buy another lower to sell the old set as a complete rifle, but all were Gen 2 with EPS-Extra Polished Triggers... nice. The shorter barrel and small fore end saved me 1.2 pounds... off the front, so easier to handle. I added the ambidextrous Radian Raptor charging handle because the stock one sucked. I also got a Trijicon front post sight and put my Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight on it. This seems fine for tactical/home defense use. I did buy a 1x6 variable scope with bullet drop compensator and all, but it's just too big and heavy for what I need... not sniping or shooting long distances.
    I only had a skimpy table with no seat at the 25-yard range, so I had to bend over and didn't get a great cheek weld, but the sights all lined up... used a LASER bore sight at home... and the sights co-register pretty well, including the metal popup rear one that I added. So I'm happy for now with the rifle for the ranges that I envision. The BDC has two turrets, the .308 one was for 168-grain bullets, so I bought a bunch of the Federal 168-gr Match BTHP, though I'm not using the scope. I also have some 150-gr FMJ for it.
    The Gen 2 uppers were $400 or less and the lowers $200-$220 or so, usually free shipping, but had to use FFL for $25. I really like the Raptor charging handle for either hand or both! :)
    I wouldn't mind a Gen 3 since it has the adjustable gas block, but I haven't had any problems with either Gen 2 versions, though I only shot 50-60 rounds through each on separate visits to the range.
    The pictured lower, I sold with the 20" upper, so I have a different MagPul stock.
    IMG_8818.JPG IMG_8832.JPG IMG_9066.JPG IMG_9069.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    PattonWasRight likes this.
  11. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

I tried to love my LRB M25 (similar to the M1A)... just couldn't do it. I have two and will be selling one. Even with bedding, I could not get it to print consistent 1 MOA. Plus they weigh a ton. I agree, cool looking and built to last, but for me anyway, not very practical in the field. Biggest benefit is you can hunt with it without looking like some dick wannabe tactical nut job. Put a five round mag in it and it practically looks like a bolt gun.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  12. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

LoL! Good point on it being able to look stealthy! Accuracy wise, it doesn't compete with an AR, it's generally a 2.5 to 3 MOA platform out of the box.

That big op rod mechanism that makes them more reliable doesn't make them more accurate. Similar story with the Galil, AK etc. Still, the M14s are in use by the military today as a medium to long range rifle. Not that there aren't better tools around, but it's the one they have available for regular troops.

We haven't heard from the OP in a while ... we all love our own opinions, but what about his??

13. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Mark co. Thanks. I will likely run the s&w until i see an issue.. mostly for fun. I may look for something for the sig 716 as that is for serious use potentially.

MarkCO likes this.
  14. Chowser

Chowser

Looking at PSA's current stuff, but not wanting the stainless barrel.

Waiting to see street price on the SIG 716i. Also trying to find someone with the Springfield Saint Victor. I've already got some .30 cal suppressors in anticipation of .308. For now they work fine on my 300blk and 6.5G.

15. budman4900A

budman4900A

I’m waiting to see how the POF Legend pans out.

16. PennsWoods

PennsWoods

How does that thing shoot being a 12.5" pistol? Still manageable?

17. JMS

JMS 02

It is, about 50 rounds is the max I’ll shoot through it at a time. It feels like a 12g.

PennsWoods likes this.
  18. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well I started with a Springfield M1A which was very impressive as it matched my bolt gun. Then 10 years or so ago I bought a Armalite AR10A4, I was impressed and continue to shoot it, no malfunctions or breakdowns. Now it's not cheap to shoot, and the only extras I have on it is the scope and a bipod. I use the same bipod on all three of my 308. Now I don't hunt and as long as I can hit the man sized target effectively at 500 yards I'm happy.

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

A match prepped M1A is about a 1 MOA gun no matter what ammo you put in it and what you do to prep it... An off the shelf GI grade M1A is about a 2 MOA gun with match ammo and maybe 2.5 MOA with GI ball....no better. I shot enough of them in Hi-power matches and have worn out 4 barrels on them... Its simply a platform with too many big clunky moving parts sliding back and forth to make it an accurate system. And a match grade gun is an 11-12 pound gun... The scope mounting systems for an M1A are an abortion.

I'm not a huge fan of the AR10 platform mainly because it lacks any kind of real standardization like you find with ARs. I've built two so far off a DPMS pattern and both were really accurate guns and reliable enough. I just finished my second AR10 build in 6.5 Creedmoor...shot it first time this weekend. Put a variable gas lo-pro gas port on it and got it dialed in 4 rounds...it drops the brass in a nice neat pile around 8 feet out at 2 o-clock and locks the bolt back with authority. Didn't do any serious accuracy work with it and used Hornady 143 factory ELD loads just to test it with factory stuff. Once I got the gas port adjusted I put 5 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards off my truck hood with a bipod and blanket for support...like I said...not any real accuracy work but it shows great potential. I did use the JP enhanced bolt and also the JP buffer system... Used a 24" Wilson Combat fluted barrel...I think Shaw makes' Wilson's barrels. Its a heavy buggar. I've got a Nightforce NXS 3-15 on it now and even in yesterday's mild heat (around 85) I was getting more mirage with the scope set on 15X than I liked. So I did most of my shooting at 10X. I was able to use the mil radian lines on the scope to adjust the zero in two shots....so at least we know the thing tracks. I like it alot....maybe won't sell it. But I'm itching for a Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5CM....so will see.

20. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

The only "enhanced" bolt I've heard of is the JP Enterprises Enhanced Bolt. I do see it offered by a few barrel makers but I've seen no real evidence it really is "enhanced" vs what you get in other AR308 BCG's. The bolt on the Brownells BCG is made from the same 9310 steel that JP claims is so good.