.308 AR Conundrum...

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Dragonscout, Apr 5, 2020.

1. mtnwinds2

mtnwinds2

I have an Adams Arms patrol rifle I like a lot. 100% reliable & uses cheap pmags.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TGT and Hef like this.
  2. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

I have only owned two .308 AR-10's and both have been Armalite. Both have been very good rifles and they have been doing .308 a long time.

TGT likes this.

3. Mongo444

Mongo444

Don't have an AR10, but a buddy of mine, like a few others have posted above, bought a DPMS Oracle AR10. I've shot it a few times and thought it was a really nice shooter. He loves it. Wouldn't mind having one, at all. The AR market these days has gotten ridiculous in terms of what's out there. It's almost aggravating trying to navigate all the different brands, etc.

4. helidude350

helidude350

I have 2 dpms 308 that work flawlessly. One is a franken rifle with a pof lower
    My father got one of the in-between length dpms (g2 I think) that works pretty good when he doesn’t do goofy shtt to it. Good gun, but because of the goofy length, certain parts are dpms only.

my armalite doesn’t work dependably, but it was built with a used lower and I haven’t fully trouble shot the issue yet.

I believe the site 308ar.com has a good thread about the differences.

Things don’t interchange as much on the 308 platform as much as the ar15.
    So you have to decide which magazines you want to use and which base lower upper style you want to go with.
    Some barrels can shoot both.308 and 7.62x51, while others are only one caliber.

side note: 308 pmags are cheaper and easier to find

Trebore likes this.
  5. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

If I was getting an AR10, today it would be PSA Gen 3 rifle. They’re about 800 bucks and come with an adjustable gas block. I have a Gen 2 20” upper and I just got a Gen 3 lower. I paid a little over 600 for both though, so if I have to put a little extra for whatever I’m still not really out a ton of money. One thing I am thinking about...is a lighter barrel cause that sucker is heavy!

Not to mention PSA has a lifetime warranty on their stuff.

6. bfoosh006

bfoosh006

I have had very good results from all my PSA Gen 2's ... I would suggest the Gen III for its design improvements.

Out of all the barrels I have bought / used , ( Armalite, Criterion, Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, PSA / DC Machine, FN CHF CL, ADM and Krieger ) , with various gas system lengths ( no +1 etc ) only the Krieger came with a "reasonable" gas port size.

All the others, adding an Adj. GB was well worth the money, to help "calm" the cyclic speed with all the other barrels.

My first 6.5CM is a PSA complete upper ( 20" PSA barrel ) , and it is shockingly accurate with ammo it likes ( 5 brands were sub MOA w/ 5rd groups at 100yds ) ... even more so with more brands of ammo after lapping / trueing the upper receiver face and Loctiting in the barrel. ( 8 additional brands became sub MOA )

To be blunt, the cost of the PSA allowed me to "enter" the Large Frame market.
    I am very glad I went with the PSA's

Happy enough to do it all over again.

If you folks are interested... I will link to the 6.5CM PSA thread, and post pics from some of the groups I have gotten.

Hef and nevernuffglock like this.
  7. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

Same for me, I can afford a lot but I just don’t see spending a lot for something when something cheaper will get the job done. An AR10 to me is for hunting, and possibly longer range shooting. It’s not a SHTF, bug out type gun. Just too heavy. Like the other guy said though, the price is right, and you have wiggle room for upgrades without feeling guilty about the price. At least that’s how I feel about it.

Hef and MarkCO like this.
  8. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

I haven't shot it much, but like this one:

20150903_114807.JPG

TGT, nevernuffglock and cheygriz like this.
  9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

10. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

I forgot to mention that I have a 6.5 Creedmore barrel for it too. It takes under a minute to swap. Loosen 2 screws with the supplied torque wrench, pop off the 308 barrel, slide in the 6.5, and tighten the 2 screws back up.

faawrenchbndr likes this.
  11. Trebore

Trebore

Rock River - LAR 8 another option with options.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

My choice wasn’t budget oriented.....I’m damn happy with my ACC.

163166DC-6782-4E79-963D-24D7D1305536.jpeg

Mayhem like Me and SpringerTGO like this.
  13. Hef

Hef

I have an Aero Precision M5 (AR10) with a 24" SS bull barrel, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a solid rifle at a reasonable price, and the 6.5 chambering allows me to use a cartridge that is ballistically superior to .308/7.62NATO. Ammo is easily found right now because nobody is panic buying it. I could buy a .308 upper for it and use the same mags I have if I felt the need to do so.

14. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Go with your first instinct and get the Galil Ace in 308. Recently got one and it is superb. Don’t let the lack of last round bolt hold open thing bother you. It’s an AK after all but one that shoots very accurately and smoothly. The build quality is off the charts. It’s the first firearm I’ve ever bought that I’ve made zero modifications to. I just plopped an ACOG on it, added a sling and light and a Grip Pod (which weirdly really goes with this rifle for some reason).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

16. kyjd75

kyjd75

I reckon so! LMT!

SpringerTGO likes this.
  17. kyjd75

kyjd75

bomba07 likes this.
  18. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have a hk91 , m1A , sig 716, and two s&w 308 AR's .. the regular s&w and one sport. I like that the s&w rifles and my sig 716 all use the same Pmags.. I have 44 of them for the 3 AR's in 308..

I cant tell you a lot about the 308 AR performance because i have just been shooting my M1A since i got some great zeiss glass on it. Been shooting real hk 91's since 1978 and love them.. but as someone said the zebra destroyed brass is found in another zip code.

19. bomba07

bomba07

Either build your own out of aero parts or get a new sig 716i

20. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Having trouble trying to read some of the posts have so many letters in groups that I cant figure out what the heck people are talking about. Makers, config, add ons, etc all are blending into some lanquage i dont get.