close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

3030 for boar

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Lethal Farce, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

I am going to try to take a boar next week w/ either a 44 Mag or 454 Casull. I can use the iron sighted revolvers to 40 yd. I thought I might bring a scoped 3030 if I can't get close enough. Without going overboard my only other option is a 45-70 Guide gun w/ ghost ring sights that would take me comfortably 75 - 100 yds. I would like to use the scope. What do y'all think about 3030 for a 200 lb or less sow.
    LF

2. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Either pistol should be ok out to 100 or so yards, unless you are what's limiting them to the 40 yards. I wouldn't want to depend on the 30-30 to drop a 200lb. hog beyond 150 yards max, but that's just me. So I would take the Guide gun and not take a shot past your 100 yard "comfort zone". If you are the limiting factor for longer range shooting, the Guide gun is going to be easier to track and get follow up shots off with; if the hog decides to take it's revenge and come after you; than a scoped rifle will be.

3. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

Thanks for the reply. Went to the range yesterday, The Guide gun it is. I was shooting as well w/ it at 100 yds. as the 3030. Still don't feel good w/ the handguns much past 50yds. Maybe I'll scope one of them.
    LF

4. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

Have fun and good luck boar hunting. Don't forget to post us a pic.:)

5. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Remove the scope from that .30-30 before you go boar hunting.

The scope is fine for long, heavy bolt-rifles to take those long shots way out yonder. But a .30-30 is best for fast action at moving game under 150yds distance.

My advise is to go with buckhorn sights on that .30-30 rifle.

6. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

I put an Aimpoit 7000 on the 44 and 100 yds was a relitivly easy shot w/ a rest. I think I'll leave the long gun home. Hey Sixgun, when you get some years on you,you'll see, those iron sights get tough
    LF

7. davesglock30

davesglock30

a 30-30 should be more than enough, especially for where you normally find hogs. usually you don't go hog hunting in the wide open area's. they are usually in the thick underbrush where a 30-30 would be an excellent choice. people hunt them regularly with pistols, i'm about positive that a 30/30 is more powerful than any pistol.

8. Scott H

Scott H Guest

davesglock30,

A 30-30 using a 170gr at 2200fps has a TKO of 20

A .44 mag using a 320gr at 1270fps has a TKO of 25

A .45C using a 325 at 1230fps has a TKO of 26

A .454Casull using a 320gr at 1600fps has a TKO of 33

A .475 Linebaugh using a 405gr at 1400fps has a TKO of 38

The new S&W .500mag using a 440gr at 1625fps will have a TKO of 51!

Give me a good hard hitting revolver over a 30-30 anyday.

9. Lethal Farce

Lethal Farce

I agree w/ Scott. Especially, w/ the distances I expect to shoot. With that Aimpoint, I feel comfortable out to 100yds. I may bring the guide gun, but I don't think it really give me much that I won't have w/ the scoped 44Mag. It has a little more knockdown, but w/ the ghost ring sights it is not as accurate as the scoped 44.

10. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

11. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

What range and or ranges are you quoteing here?

12. Scott H

Scott H Guest

TKO uses muzzle velocity, same as ft/lbs.

caliber (actually bore/bullet diameter) x bullet weight x velocity divided by 7000 gives you a Taylor Knock Out rating.

13. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

I do understand the above, but still we need to know at what range the TKO was figured at? The muzzle? 50 yards? 100 yards? We all know that velocity decreases as the bullet loses energy. Rifle rounds typically have a lot more velocity at longer ranges than pistols since:

1) The barrel is longer allow for more energy to be built up
    2) Typically a rifle round carries more powder than a pistol round

I think the TKO maybe a bit misleading until we know what range the measurement was taken at.

14. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

Well, I hope the 30-30 is good for hogs because I just bought a brand new one on Monday for that exact purpose.

15. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

Unless you come across a Dino Boar wieghing over 1500 pounds (and you are a good shot) you will no trouble dispatching a boar with a .30-30.

IMHO, it not soo much the caliber, its where you hit him. I go for just behind the foreleg, near his back.

Here is the last Hog I shot:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107788&highlight=7mm+Rem

with my 7mm Rem Mag.

16. Scott H

Scott H Guest

The numbers I used for both rifle and pistol were at the muzzle. A TKO rating can be figured at distance too, the same as ft/lbs can be, you just need to know the velocity at that distance.

For instance, according to Cor-Bon, who's numbers I used for the .454 Casull and .44 magnum, the .454Casull has a TKO of 23.8 at 200 yards. Their .44mag load has a TKO of 18 at 200 yards.

The .45C load I originally posted is a handload and I don't know what the fps is at 200 yards. But Corbon lists a .45c load using a 300gr at a MV of 2200fps having a TKO of 25. At 200 yards the same load has a TKO of 19.

For the 30-30 I used the Winchester 170 gr. Super-X® Power-Point®, and at 200 yards it has a TKO of 12. For some reason now I get a TKO of 16.4 at the muzzle for the 30-30. I must have hit a wrong number or something the first time, sorry about that.

The big advantage the rifle has is less bullet drop at distance. Using a range of 200 yards for comparison with all calibers having a zero of 100 yards...

The .454 has 18.85 inches of drop.

The .44mag has 30.38 inches of drop.

The .45C has 27.37 inches of drop.

The 30-30 has only three inches of drop.

Now, I have nothing against rifles or rifle hunting, I just prefer a good hard kicking handgun for hunting now days. Maybe because I grew up taking game with a shotgun and rifle and using a handgun is something different and a nice challenge :)

I know for a fact that the 30-30 works fine on hogs in the 220lb range. My first hog hunt I thought I could get away with a heavy 180gr .357 hunting load. After 4 shots I had successfully pissed that boar off and if my bro-in-law hadn't been there with his 30-30, I would have had to saved the last shot for me. It is impressive how fast a 220lb four legged animal can cover ground when some idiot is doing no more damage than if he was poking it with a sharp stick ;g

17. noway

noway

{ Now, I have nothing against rifles or rifle hunting, I just prefer a good hard kicking handgun for hunting now days. Maybe because I grew up taking game with a shotgun and rifle and using a handgun is something different and a nice challenge }

Also the handguns destroy less meat.

Rifles are great but a handgun is more of a challenge. A BOW is even MORE of a challenge.

18. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Yeah I can see how hunting with one would be a real challenge! ;f

[​IMG]