Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am currently in the process of building a 300blk pistol and was wondering how long a typical extractor would last before breakage. I can't find anything about extractor life on 300blk but lots of info on 5.56 and 7.62x39 extractors. If any users could chime in with their experiences and details about barrel lengths/gas system setup it would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Semper Paratus
30,907 Posts
300 BLK has a max pressure loaded lower than 5.56, extractors last about the same, use a good quality mil spec extractor ,bolt, and spring set up and you will have no issues.

·
Semper Paratus
30,907 Posts

this is a great BCG and will give years of trouble free service

·
Registered
856 Posts

this is a great BCG and will give years of trouble free service
you can get the same BCG but a bit cheaper if you just buy an unmarked microbest BCG instead of the SOLGW marked model

·
Registered
5,205 Posts

·
AAAMAD
36,136 Posts
Another nice one is here ($99.99)

Lately, there has been a lot of bad press about NiB BCG’s. Not sure I’d run one over a standard

If you’re gonna run NiB, you should atleast do some searches of M4 carbine or Arf com and make a informed decision.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Lately, there has been a lot of bad press about NiB BCG’s. Not sure I’d run one over a standard

If you’re gonna run NiB, you should atleast do some searches of M4 carbine or Arf com and make a informed decision.
Never heard of that. Maybe a lesser manufacturer is having problems.
ToolCraft wouldn't put anything out that would bring them bad press.
ToolCraft is an OEM.

·
AAAMAD
36,136 Posts
ToolCraft is an OEM.
The problems have spanned more than just one manufacturer. Some of the issues are due to the process involved (such as flaking of the coating, or obscuring issues with the underlying metal)

Like I said, if your gonna run one. Atleast do some homework and learn what to look for. NiB itself isn’t necessarily bad, but there are potential issues with NiB that aren’t seen (or covered up)with phosphate BCGs.

School of the American Rifle
M4Carbine, ARFcom, all have big pages on them.

I run NiB coated bolts (LWRC ACB) in my 6.8’s, I’m not saying NiB is junk, just saying do your homework on what you’re getting.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
6,250 Posts
The ONLY thing that I've seen break on an AR-15 in years of competitive shooting was a charging handle. The charging handle on a friend's rifle had the end break off opposite the latch lever (forward end of the lever). One of the guys loaned him the part and he finished the match. I keep a spare charging handle in my spare parts kit.

How about buying a spare extractor to keep in the handle cavity of your new lower? The easiest way would be to stash an entire bolt assembly. They're not expensive and easy to install. The bolt for a .300 Blackout is the same as a 5.56 bolt.

Flash

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd buy Toolcraft with confidence.
Their CS is top notch if anything went awry.
I picked up a few Toolcraft BCGs ahead of time and they've been just as dependable as any other BCG I've ran; I'll probably use one for this build as well. I personally prefer the phosphate treated and chrome lined gas key/bolt channel in the carrier setup based on opinions from SOTAR and others. Never had a problem with NiB but all I've used are Failzero BCGs. Of course FZ has their issues with gas key screws and staking but that's something immediately fixed by sending them back with a set of OCKS on their dime.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The only problem I had with a 10.5 inch barrel on a 300 blackout was with cases not extracting while shooting suppressed. The extractor wouldn't stay engaged on the rim. I used the BCM o ring under the extractor spring and it worked fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only problem I had with a 10.5 inch barrel on a 300 blackout was with cases not extracting while shooting suppressed. The extractor wouldn't stay engaged on the rim. I used the BCM o ring under the extractor spring and it worked fine.
That's a heavily overgassed pistol, to be expected when attaching a suppressor. I had the same issue with suppressing my AR10, but I couldn't swap the extractor spring because of the proprietary setup. Ended up switching to a heavier buffer to fix that issue but in your situation I personally would've used a colt gold extractor spring or sprinco 5 coil no o-ring.

·
Semper Paratus
30,907 Posts
ToolCraft is an OEM.
Most of my builds have in them young national match bolt carrier groups hard chromed They seem to work perfectly, Every time I see them on sale I would pick one up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DirectDrive

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
6,250 Posts
I looked up the bolt assembly at Midway. With the sealing rings and the extractor and ejector assembled, you can get one for $40. The .300 Blackout uses the same lower part of the cartridge case as the 5.56, so the bolts are the same. Replacing the bolt assembly is easy!

Get a handle with a trap door and carry it with you all the time.

Flash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.